Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I am looking for a fuel cell for my truck ,Lost bid three times on e bay,what is the purpose of rear fuel outlets looks dangerous on street car if rear ended .I am assuming because fuel slosh to rear on acceleration ,I was thinking of mounting pump fuel line and return lines on front then run a pickup tube to the rear,think that might work,
Technically a lower rear sump/outlet is illegal on a street driven later model vehicle. The fed regulations say fuel has to exit the top of the tank.

I was going to go the easy way on my Stude and buy a cell. But I'm trying to do a 60's-70's style build. So I went with a stock type tank. Bottom outlet as it was originally built.

To keep the outlet towards the front of the tank. Thus keeping the fuel pumps somewhat protected by the rear axle/frame. I installed the outlet on a bottom sump about 8" back from the front of the tank. I internal baffled the tank a couple of inches behind the outlet so the fuel will climb the baffle under take off and function as if the fitting was at the rear.