Did a little project today on the old Austin gasser that I've just had on the back burner forever. I wanted to make the rim of my steering wheel larger, and had a lace on old 70's style cover on it, but it shifted and twisted all the time. It also didn't fill my hands well, so it was like trying to turn a piece of spaghetti in my hands.
I've seen old dirt trackers, and some hotrods with wrapped wheels that were done with large twine or small rope, so I got the smallest clothesline rope I could find at the hardware store. A 100' length I figured would make it, and glad I got that much as it took nearly all of it to do this!
I wrapped the entire wheel, with some cross wraps at each spoke to keep the rope from skipping over the outter rim when I got to the spokes. Hardest part was dealing with the excess rope while running it around the wheel, and keeping everything drawn tight! Had to stop several times and re-roll the rope as it became a huge mess! At the last I'd used up most of the 100' and it became more manageable.
So here's the end result:
I may dye it dark brown or black later if the ivory colored rope becomes too dirty looking.