Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

work

pushed out a rear body panel and parts of two tail light panels on a 55 Chevy. The guru wanted to bend the decklid to push it flush with the lower rear body panel by putting two slices on the shell, bending, then welding, and so when I put on the quarter that was the plan, loosely. So today I actually got to that part and so when I evaluated things more closely it was obvious to me that it was the rear body panel that needed to be pushed out (to be flush with decklid). It was the less evasive way and I really didn't want to bend the decklid cause you never know, it might cause the foam crap between the shell and skin to be poking up and a real issue. The decklid was fine. So I detached a couple spot welds to the striker and got pushing. It pushed out so perfectly and I can't say enough about how useful a porto power is. When I had to do the bottom of the tail light panels I used a small piece of 2x4 and the clamps I used controlled where the pressure was applied to cause the porto always wants to slide around on you if the angle isn't perfect. Then I re-welded the striker in place, making sure to bring the flange to the rear body and not clamping it down, which would have pushed it back in. Worked like a charm and so I then got the decklid lined up perfectly with everything...then I found out we're going Billet hinges for front and rear...and they usually SUCK! Now I can't even do the mud on the decklid cause I fear the height in the front of the decklid will change once we get the hinges. The guru did the hood and he's pretty pissed he's gonna have to most likely realign the hood as well. Anyhow, learned so much about tendencies of a 55 Chevy on this car and am excited to learn more. Gotta love the wheel houses on these as a tech...they're so easy! Doesn't really make the thing stout but serves as a good mud guard.

and yes I redid the mud down there. wouldn't look so good over cracked bondo. Sometimes show cars suck. It never ends! I mean all this work to gain only 1/8". The boss has been really cool about time allowed and it's nice because the last 2-3 cars weren't show car quality jobs, yet we find it hard to swallow our pride sometimes.

Last edited by tech69; 04-26-2013 at 12:25 AM.