Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I think you are right, the thing is the problem was GONE and now it is creeping back just like it originally did.

The thing I had done to fix it was to run it up to the RPM that it was really chugging hard (it had gotten to a point that I couldn't drive the car any longer) and I closed off the choke almost all the way and it smoothed out, AHH HAAA, that tells me that it is leaning out and with the choking it is sucking more fuel in and richening up to run properly. Ok, so I did this a few times trying to figure out what I was seeing and I guess this pulled the junk out of the cruise circuit, that is all I can figure that got it running perfect again. The other thing I did was to pull the fuel hose off before the pump (dual action mechanical) and the fuel POURED out so it wasn't clogged or anything. Anyway, that is what I did those two things and WHAM the next day I start it up to check out much fuel the pump is pumping and the darn thing is running like a top!

So I start driving it and the last few days it starts that chugging again. I removed the filter from where it was before the pump and put it after the pump (a new filter of course) . I wanted it at a more accessible spot (though my nice steel fuel line sure looked better) and in case the fuel pump was the source of the crud in the carb. So today I will see. I ran it up and choked off the carb to clean it out (yes I have actually disassembled the carb and cleaned it out a number of times) and with the moving of the filter maybe I did something, heck I don't know. Give me a fender to fix I don't know crap at all.

Brian
There are several products on the market to prevent this problem from happening ,I never used them ,I guess I just didn't belive in them ,but my truck 06 Silverado started surging when pulling my boat out at the boat ramp ,hard pull light throttle, so I put in a can of Z max 1 in oil 1 in gas ,it cured my problem after about 200 mi might not ever work again but it did this time,