Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
I used the complete front cross-member from a 1979 C20 (the same truck that the donor engine and trans came out of.) I also used the engine mounts and brackets.

1976 C10 steering linkage and even the sway bar off of the 79 C20 (beefy!) also fit like a glove with only the need to re-drill holes in the frame for the idler arm.

Mid-70's 454 headers also fit very nicely ... so I think the engine is in the proper position.

Looking at your valve-covers, they appear to be stock height. If I had known this before doing the build ... I probably would have went with stock rockers instead of roller rockers.

PS. I see a heater block-off plate on your firewall. Did you go with an aftermarket A/C unit like Vintage Air ... or did you use something else? I doubt that I'll go to the expense of AC here in Alberta ... but a heater/defroster might be nice. I was thinking of pillaging an Astro van ... small and compact.
The 63 does not belong to me it is mikes truck ( a co owner in the shop ) he has a vintage air unit but not installed yet, he might not be able to run air with the engine he has it is a 427 12-1 cr square port heads 2nd design Big Mutha Thumper 850 quick fuel headers Etc Etc it is like my 53 only gets worked on at night after work or week ends,about 6 mo project so far,we have changed front cross members on 63-66 chevy trucks we use a 71 or 72 unit ,bolts right in also ,you get 5 lug wheels power sterring and disc brakes did tou retain the 8 lug wheels from the 20 series truck