Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#3,643 ·
Finally got out there to do something on one of my projects, not much but a step closer to being completely done so I can forget about it. :D

I completely finished up the transfer seat. That is until I KNOW Steve can actually get in and out of the car, we don't know this as a sure thing, it's amazing but we don't know if he will actually be able to get in it. But once we know for sure I am going to custom paint the seat just for fun for him.

I then got into the trunk to finish it up, couldn't find the darn metal covers for the big holes they have in the floor (what in the heck are they there for I wonder?) so I had to make them, I know I will find the originals tomorrow, you all know how that is.

I then got the jack and all rounded up and the spare cleaned up and in there. I really need to restore the jack and parts but for this coming weekend (GoodGuys) it will have to look like crap. I'll get it done later. I thought I was going to have to trim the floor mat it was a real treat to pull it out of the box (been up in the rafters for 13 years!) and it was ready to install. :D

Brian

nice. when you gonna show us some real work? :D

#3,644 ·
nice. when you gonna show us some real work? :D
Yeah really! I hear ya, I am dying to do something of more substance but if you are waiting around for Brian on Hotrodders to show you some of his real work, I suggest you go down to the local mall and look for a new life because yours is pretty funky. :mwink:

Brian

#3,645 ·
Tidy looking trunk Brian!
I am really getting to understand the guys who don't finish their cars off at all. I am sitting here looking at this trunk and trying to figure out how the heck am I going to put stuff in here without it sliding into the quarter panel! It sure as heck can't stay stock in here if I am going to drive this car at all. I need to put some shields against the quarters on the inside so nothing dents the quarter! Geeeez,I don't have to worry about this with the Rambler! What is really funny is this car is MILES from a "show car". It really isn't that nice, yet it is nice enough that I get all freaked out parking it and walking away, you know what I mean? And it's kinda ticking me off because it ISN'T that nice, but now getting it on the road it's freaking me out a little. I guess I have to wait for that first scratch or something to lighten up. I don't know what I am going to do in the trunk, I am thinking just a piece of dense foam tucked into the quarters. I have a foam place near by I need to go by there and see if they have something like inch thick dense black foam.

Brian

#3,646 · (Edited)
Yeah really! I hear ya, I am dying to do something of more substance but if you are waiting around for Brian on Hotrodders to show you some of his real work, I suggest you go down to the local mall and look for a new life because yours is pretty funky. :mwink:

Brian
it would be like waiting for pigs to fly. :) just trying to throw you some motivation to get the truck rolling.

#3,647 ·
it would be like waiting for pigs to fly. :) just trying to throw you some motivation to get the truck rolling.
Yeah I know you are just trying to motivate me to get my truck shining. One nut and bolt a time, I will, believe me I went out there and am starting my planning and it is firing me up big time to be working on it after all these years. I have some photos of me working on it that I can't wait to re-create with my gray hair. It's been 40 years since I first chopped the top on it! Friggin wild, absolutely wild to think about. Thanks for the nudge, but I am ready to go believe me. I am going to putting other stuff aside that I should be doing to work on it believe me.

Brian

Reactions: tech69
#3,648 ·
But really, go out and play with your daughter don't be staring at the computer waiting for Brian on Hotrodders to post that he is working on his truck, your life is much more than that I hope!

Brian

#3,651 ·
Worked on plumbing the brakes, almost done. Need an adapter for the M/C rear port 1/2" invert to 3/16" invert line.. Went to three McParts stores to get the front/rear port adapters. Blank stares! Whats it in? "59 Studebaker with an aftermkt aluminum dual chamber !" bore master".. One poor girl just said "here look in these drawers"... Just standard stuff.. Big guy at another store says he'd never seen one before.. They all had the exact same inventory of fittings.
I had to re-use front fitting from an old core.. It was missing the rear adapter.. I'll have to wait till my "real" parts store opens tuesday..
Those brake adapter fittings can be pretty confusing, as they often use a mix of "bolt thread" and "tube diameter" in their descriptions.

I *think* you need Weatherhead #7909 which is 5/16" Tube Inverted (1/2"-20 thread) to 3/16" Tube Inverted (3/8-24 thread)

PDF of page 125 attached.

Attachments

#3,654 ·
Well if you're worried about the 1/4's, how about taking a couple of trash bags and and taping them onto the inside of the panel then filling them with expandable foam.
Take them out when cured and finish the side you can see flat.
Attach some kind of material that you like to the surface you can see when the piece is installed and there you go. You now have a partially sound deadened trunk with protection against 1/4 panel damage.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#3,655 ·
That is an interesting idea BB, I think I will do as I have with some other things and get some dense foam and cut it thinner so it slips into the areas along the bottom and front of the quarter so it tucks in and holds in place.

Brian

#3,656 ·
Well today, the Gran Sport got washed and paste waxed. It is ready to this next weekend the way it is but I am going to try to get the wheel opening mouldings done, if they are done fine, if not that is fine too.

Brian

#3,657 ·
It wasn't, the old Gunk and Berryman chem dip have been regulated out by our gummit..
All you had to do was smell Chem dip once and you remember the smell your entire life. Potent stuff, but it actually cleaned..

Kleen-Flo (Canada only?) still has the "good stuff".
We stock a 4L size #651 at our store, and yeah ... it is so pungent that it comes from our warehouse wrapped in a cello bag. You can still smell it from about 6 feet away.

#3,658 ·
Years ago I was taking a Aircraft PowerPlant repair course working towards obtaining my A & P. I was cleaning engine part in a chemical dip called Torx or Touque or something like that and a wrist pin from a radial engine we were rebuilding slipped out of the basket into the drum. We fished for about half a hour with bent wire and magnet and everything else we could think of to no avail. The darned pin must have weighed 3 or 4our pounds and was just too heavy. The only way to retrieve it was to stick my arm in and grab it. So in preparation all the doors in the path to the washroom were held open , the water was turned on in the sink, passing people were held back, prayers were said , my will was notarized and I was ready to go! In my arm went and off I went . Grabbed it, dropped it into the basket and ran like heck. Scrubbed and scrubbed clean as a whistle. I was slapped on the back, fist bumped, high fived and generally congratulated. As I remember there was some talk of a award being presented and perhaps a national day being proclaimed ( I'll admit I might be a little hazy about that) but I do remember seeing admiration in the eyes of passing models and cheerleaders. I was pretty darned pleased with myself!

The next day all the skin peeled off my arm.
Some of that stuff needed to be regulated!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#3,659 ·
I didn't do any "work" on this, other than drive the car to a local exhaust shop. The tail pipes ended just past the rrear axle, under the trunk floor...:rolleyes: It was loud and smelled of exhaust inside. I had new extensions bent and stainless tips welded on. Way quieter inside too....:D

It took about 6 ft of tube, 2 stainless tips and an hour of labor to bend, fit and weld.

Total cost..........

$75.00......:drool: