Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,351 Times in 1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
thats not bad at all..
would it be cheaper/faster to get a new floor from a dry climate junk yard?
you have no roof so dropping it in shouldn't be that hard
Yes. It definitely would faster though not cheaper. I am going to make the intire assembly from firewall to rear axle. I have the tools and being retired, the time. The floor pan assemblies with braces are 1025 dollars plus truck freight from Ecklers, not counting the inner rockers. I can make them for a couple of sheets of 18 gauge. I am hoping that there will be some guys out there on a budget that will like to see it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
oh man. one of those jobs where after you cut out each piece and you find something else, and this isn't even the hidden rust!
You got it Henry. I am not going to try to save any of it. Building the whole bottom of the car from scratch. I am going to start a thread. It will be time consuming but with the shrinker/stretcher jaws I can make the braces even if I have to make them in pieces.

I have always built rusty cars no one else wanted. The key is you have to start with a car that will have value when you are done. This is how I manage to play with my cars. I try to make the hobby pay for itself. In return, I donate my labor. Of course it helps that I don't do it all day long for a living.

As a side note, when I retired from the Telephone Co, I started doing customer work. I lasted about 6 months and hated it. It took a couple of years for me to begin to enjoy going back to the garage to play with my toys.

John L