Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
finally the van side arrived at the shop. I handled cutting out the side on the van and the other guys tag teamed the chunk of steel by cutting out spot welds. One problem...Fords use weld bond/panel adhesive around the wheels on their vans and bed sides. So yeah, that's gonna be fun cutting that outer wheel house out(donor) and having to separate it without messing up the skin. Thank god the wheel house on the van needs to be pulled so it looks like I'll be tied up. I'll bring in my mini torch and have them cut around the wheel house(donor) and then heat up that wheel house lip while trying to separate it.

Also to follow up on something I said earlier. I mentioned loosening up the body bolts in the rear to release tension and let the body relax to square up the hole/rear door opening. It worked a little bit but I sped up the process with a huge sledge hammer and 4x4. Rather than gauging the results by looking at the door I did that but put more importance on looking at the mark where the mount used to be and how much I got back. It became unbunched. and the gap to the door got better.

anywho, the Cougar left today and the owner will be installing the head lights/taillights/ rear bumper/ door handles and then it gets new interior and subframed. So it will definitely come back in a month or so for a complimentary rub and I'll get pics of the interior. Got some pics of it today partially assembled and detailed. I'll upload those in a few days. Car turned out well for not being show quality. The team is clicking right now.
sometimes you can heat it up with a propane torch and the two pieces peel right apart but heat up the inner structure not the outer skin..might help to get it apart...