Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Let the grand daughters ,help ,they probably love to Help grand paw ,or what they call you im Paw Paw to all my grand children,, you can always correct ANY mistakes Next Week if any are made ,they will remember it ,especially when they get to ride in the Belair..
You know, you are so right, growing up, my Dad owned a service station. When I was real young, about 5 years old, my older brother and I would trade off going there on weekends to spend time with my Dad (he worked there from early morning to late at night, 7 days a week and we never got to see him...almost as though it was our visitation right). My Dad wouldn't let us touch a thing, in fact, his idea of babysitting was to pull a Pepsi out of the pop machine, empty out a bay with a hoist, put us on the hoist, lift it up and turn on the TV. The only way we could get into trouble was to fall off the hoist...and No 5 year old kid would dare a 6 1/2 foot fall. The other weekend would be spent at my Grandparents house. One weekend in particular, my Grandfather was rebuilding his garden tiller engine...I was amazed at how he did everything, he let me clean parts and he explained as he went along...I was in heaven.

The next weekend was my turn at the service station, as soon as I got there, the dime went in the pop machine, the bay with hoist was emptied and while my Dad was doing this, I saw some parts on the bench and asked if I could help by cleaning them. He looked at me, shocked and asked how I knew that they had to be cleaned and I told him that Grandpa had taught me the weekend before on his garden tiller.

Well Dad let me, the rest is history and now that I think about it, maybe it was my Grandpa that really got me interested...Thank God my Dad kept the ball rolling when he realized that I was in fact interested. It probably took about 5 more years but, I do remember rebuilding a 283 on my own before the teenage years hit, because when the teen years hit, I knew everything, or at least I thought so...LOL.

Ray