Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

My grand dad also had a big garage and grandma and grandpa lived upstairs so every time we visited grandma I would slip downstairs and check out the race cars ..he was working on and explore the scrap pile out back even though I was told over and over to stay away from it because I'd get hurt...but grandpa never showed me anything come to think o it I never saw him work on anything he just sat down with his buddies and talked about racing.Anyway I always made dad load up my bike in the trunk so I ride around and have something to do...I had built all of my bikes from spare parts and was always working on it ,changing this and that and every once in a while (well ok all the time) I'd strip a nut and have ask grandpa to please get the nut off with those special plyers (vise grips) well I guess he got tired of constantly replacing nuts and bolts and he welded up every single nut and bolt on my bike so I couldnt take it apart ever again...I guess he and my Dad thought it was funny until they saw the look on my face ...I said thank you but they could tell I was pissedoff.....when we got home I started building another bike and when it was done I put my old welded up bike behind dads car so he wouldnt see it and he backed up right over it...I was only 6 or 7 and I knew I was gonna get my asswhooped but after carefully wieghing out the pros and cons I did it anyway...I didnt think about not being able to sit on my bike for a week or a chair, if I conciderd that I might not have done it but I think I still would have...
Its hard to say if my grand dad had anything to do with me getting into hotrodding (it was always in my blood) but he sure introduced me to welding and I did have a set of torches when I was 15yr old. My dad didnt even have a set,he was into electronics but he was into cars when he was young so he knew a good bit and I'd help him fix our own cars and learn from him.
He never admitted being in on that joke with grandpa and although they thought it was funny at the time they really felt bad about afterwards Thirty years later I still brought it up when we all got together and were reminising. So be carefull with these young minds, the things you say and do good or bad may never be forgoten even something simple you forgot 5 min afterwards...
Besides. you ever see what a bike can do to an exhaust system...
I'd NEVER weld up a kids bike like that, I'd give the kid those vise grips for his own and show him how to use them,who knows 50 years from now he may still have them and be saying: my grandpa ,your great grandpa gave me these when I was your age and now I'm giving them to you...