Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
Guys, if you saw how many GM parts are made in China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and a few others you would be sick if you care at all about this issue.

I have a few GM cars in here right now with 10-15 parts each with only two or three of those parts on each car being made in North America. Even one made in Canada says "Assembled of imported components".

How about the Chevy emblem on a 2013 Cruze in the shop......the bowtie folks.....made in Korea.

This is why one of the reasons I love the old cars and I avoid repro parts as much as I can because they are often made elsewhere. I'm driving a BUICK or a RAMBLER or a CHEVY, not a friggin Kia or Hongqi, if I wanted one of them I'd buy one! I will repair original parts, I will hunt for NOS, but I am not going to stick a Chinese part on my car! If I can do anything about it that is, it is getting harder and harder. But not as hard as you think, there are still tons of NOS or American Made parts available. It just takes a bunch of work. No more just walking down and buying parts like in the good old days.

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
BruceKoukalaka (07-29-2013)