Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#5,341 ·
Another issue partially explained why the Tiger was such a short-lived production. Chrysler bought up (most of) Rootes group and then found themselves putting a Ford engine into one of "their" cars

It just occurred to me that Chrysler has had a less than stellar record of working with partners - Rootes, Simca, AMC, Renault, Mitsubishi, Daimler and now Fiat. Note that Fiat is financially suffering badly in Europe and elsewhere.

#5,342 ·
This is my problem, I am torn as to "invest" being I don't know a thing about these cars. When I look I am amazed at how cheap they go! How in the heck can a Cobra be worth a million dollars and this car $50K? I know they are quite different but they are the "same" at the same time, how could be possibly not be worth $100k at least?

I haven't found a basket case to see what it's worth but the Alpine parts are dirt cheap, a nice door on eBay, $50, a pair of super nice tail lights, $50, the Alpines are very cheap, but the Tigers are much more, most of the parts fit on both. I am just amazed at how little they are worth.

Brian
It looks like you are wisely doing your homework. Smart move:thumbup:

Another issue partially explained why the Tiger was such a short-lived production. Chrysler bought up (most of) Rootes group and then found themselves putting a Ford engine into one of "their" cars

It just occurred to me that Chrysler has had a less than stellar record of working with partners - Rootes, Simca, AMC, Renault, Mitsubishi, Daimler and now Fiat. Note that Fiat is financially suffering badly in Europe and elsewhere.
I think Daimler has really hurt their own brand name. Years ago when you thought of Mercedes Benz you thought of a 300 thousand mile car while all the others were going 150,000 if you were lucky. Now the last thing you want is a high mileage Mercedes when a plastic body clip is 16 dollars and can't be taken off without breaking it.

John

#5,343 ·
Went to the Doctor today. I was a little concerned when after an extensive physical he said I was doing "pretty well" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't
resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?'

Not much I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'

Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued
ribs?'

I said, 'Not much... my former doctor said that
all red meat is very unhealthy!'

'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing
golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?'

'No, I don't,' I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a
lots of sex?'

'No,' I said...

He looked at me and said, 'Then, why do you even give a sheet?'

John

#5,344 ·
Went to the Doctor today. I was a little concerned when after an extensive physical he said I was doing "pretty well" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't
resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?'

Not much I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'

Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued
ribs?'

I said, 'Not much... my former doctor said that
all red meat is very unhealthy!'

'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing
golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?'

'No, I don't,' I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a
lots of sex?'

'No,' I said...

He looked at me and said, 'Then, why do you even give a sheet?'

John
RIGHT ON !!!!! What's the point ???:D

So, what happened at Sonic ...:confused: I'm living my cruise life thru those who still can.

#5,348 ·
Hay John is that a '49 or '50 Chevy you're working: I bet it came out of squire when you cut the rocker out, I didn't see any bracing fixtures to hold things in place. Good luck.

Bill
I guess I wasn't very clear Bill. The car is not out of square. The 3rd row floorboard channel and body mounts are. They are not even attached to the car yet. I will tweak them as needed but have to admit I got all excited about the fourth row and have not pursued it yet.

John

#5,350 ·
Drove 180 miles round trip today to look at a '67 Corvair convert. Trying to join the topless crowd with John....:D

It's a "driver" but it came from Naples FL and the salt air must have eaten it pretty good in the past. Lots of repair panels and bondo badly done. It's a 40 footer....:rolleyes: Best things are the Corsa 140 engine and dash someone put in long ago and it's a 4 speed. Black interior is presentable, the body will look OK for a few years yet. It needs a whole new top and all associated parts. $2500 too much ?? I really want a cleaner body but they are hard to find in the price range. Oh and the top is power.

#5,351 ·
Drove 180 miles round trip today to look at a '67 Corvair convert. Trying to join the topless crowd with John....:D

It's a "driver" but it came from Naples FL and the salt air must have eaten it pretty good in the past. Lots of repair panels and bondo badly done. It's a 40 footer....:rolleyes: Best things are the Corsa 140 engine and dash someone put in long ago and it's a 4 speed. Black interior is presentable, the body will look OK for a few years yet. It needs a whole new top and all associated parts. $2500 too much ?? I really want a cleaner body but they are hard to find in the price range. Oh and the top is power.
If it has a good running gear, I have a 63 Monza Convertible 4 speed car you can almost have. It has been in the barn since 1976. Not very rusty but it has been put away for so long, I am not sure how much of it is usable. I am pushing the rules of the forum, If wou want to know more PM me.

John

#5,352 ·
I installed my "Moon" "Cool Can" I bought for 5 dollars, and my "Cam Dynamics" vacuum Brake booster reservoir I picked up for 5 dollars and routed the lines. I also scuffed & sealed the scoop I picked up for 20 bucks and sat it over my carbs to show the wife what it would look like on her engine:mwink: She smiled:D and said it was Bad A S S :evil: LOL :D

Jester :thumbup:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/att...ent.php?attachmentid=85842&stc=1&d=1380665335

Attachments

#5,353 ·
Finally feeling better after a week of some rotten cold virus. Went down to my buddy's house and helped him begin mockup of his '69 Nova A/FX clone. We stripped out the front suspension today, and began mocking up his straight axle. Have to figure kingpin angles tomorrow and then start fabbing up mounts.
It was raining hard when I got there, but when we stopped and opened the garage door it was beautiful sunshine! So I ran home and took the Falcon for a quick drive to enjoy the weather after a week of record rains!

#5,354 ·
I continued to chip off the under coating on this thing today. Also removed the convertible top mechanism and the RH top cylinder. Also got the body bolts out of the RH side.

I am really pumped the inner structure is as much intact as it is. Since the car is on the frame I am going to have to remove some of the structure to get to the floorboards and mounts to replace them. I also have to replace the inner rocker for about the last 18 inches or so.

#5,355 ·
Took the T-bucket for a long overdue ride to my buddy Bron's. Have only put 400 miles on the bucket since May 3rd. That means that I have been way too busy for a retiree. Working on Bron's $800 Four Winns 170 Freedom inboard/ outboard. Has a 2.3 Ford ain it that had not run in at least 6 years, and found out why this week, after getting the engine runnning perfect. Short explanation : bolt in transom bracket backing out and eventually falling out of cable that shifts lower unit, coinciding with owner continually misadjusting cable in attempt to compensate, resulting in stripped lower unit. Whew :sweat: that was a mouthful. I have refurbished a distributor that was a pile of rust, with the centrifugal advance unit seized solid and the breaker plate comletely rusted. The stud that the coil wire connects to on the side of the dist was even rusted off. And the choke wire terminal was rusted off. Not to mention that the timing belt tensioner pulley was rusted through to the bearing. Of course the cam was also 90 degrees out of time and the alternator was locked up also. To beat it all, when Bron bought the boat, all the guy told him, was that the engine wasn't getting any spark. :smash: :spank: :evil: :evil: :nono: Oh well, eventually we will get to go boating. After Bron's dad gets done replacing the rotted out floor and the non existent seating. :D

#5,356 ·
2 weekends ago I got an old prentiss vise for 7 dollars at a garage sale. Not too bad rusty, but most of the rust is down in the swivel. So I am going to clean it with electrolysis. Tonight I bought the stuff to get the electrolysis tank going. Tractor supply had the steel rod and walmart the washing soda. Got home and cut the rod to length for the plastic tote I already had. Also dug out some wire in the basement for the setup. May finish it tomorrow or wait till the weekend. The vise also needs one new jaw face, which I will also have to fabricate.

#5,357 ·
tried to get my car smogged and it's throwing codes that there's a vacuum leak, swapped some lines that were leaking and reset. Will go back on Friday to see if it stays that way but am also trying to find other leaks. I hear one but couldn't find it with starting fluid. Also I see my chinese crap aftermarket radiator that I just put in on Friday has a leak in it. It's guaranteed but man, what a piece!!! I'll deal with that after my car passes smog. Got til the 8th to register and it doesn't look good at the moment.

#5,358 ·
God how I hate the late model computer controlled junk! I HAVE to have it for the family (realistically) but damn I hate it.

Tonight I got back out in the garage on the truck for a half hour or so making the patch for the gap on the drivers side over the door. Damn that little thing is hard to make with the folds and the perfection of a perfect fit to butt weld without a filler rod, holy crap. The long pieces are easy without the folds but that sucker is a project. I had to walk out before it wasn't fun. :D I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Brian

#5,359 ·
2 weekends ago I got an old prentiss vise for 7 dollars at a garage sale. Not too bad rusty, but most of the rust is down in the swivel. So I am going to clean it with electrolysis. Tonight I bought the stuff to get the electrolysis tank going. Tractor supply had the steel rod and walmart the washing soda. Got home and cut the rod to length for the plastic tote I already had. Also dug out some wire in the basement for the setup. May finish it tomorrow or wait till the weekend. The vise also needs one new jaw face, which I will also have to fabricate.
I wish there was a tractor supply around here, that place has some good stuff. And it reminds me of my childhood when I go in there. :D I will have to plan on getting there when I go visit my kids. It's two hours from here but I pass one and then there's another near there house. Don't forget the Black Diamond blasting material they have, it KICKS BUTT over sand!

Brian

Reactions: silentpoet
#5,360 ·
I guess I wasn't very clear Bill. The car is not out of square. The 3rd row floorboard channel and body mounts are. They are not even attached to the car yet. I will tweak them as needed but have to admit I got all excited about the fourth row and have not pursued it yet.

John
Well I'm glad I misunderstood and the bild is going well on your '53.

Bill