The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 100 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Unless someone shows me how to use it the stud gun is a pretty harsh way to shrink. I have a shrinking tip for mine and it really is for something that you want to simply stop it from oil caning so you can slather it with bondo.

The tip is spring loaded, a HEAVY spring. When you push it on the surface with a stud in it, this spring is mashing it against the metal as you meet the ground ring that is around the tip against the metal and then you pull the trigger to make your direct short welding the stud to the surface. So when you use the shrinking tip you are MASHING this tip into the surface, so think about this now, you have a small tip MASHED into the metal right where you are going to heat it up......you see where this is going? The tip goes INTO the softened metal and you end up with a dent.

It works like a charm IF you need some quick shrinking but it is no "tin smith" tool. Again, I sure as heck am wide open for someone to show me I am wrong so I can learn another trick. I know when I was working for a guy and pulled out my stud gun he showed me how to use it as I had been using it all wrong for a few years.

Here is a video of yours truly using the shrinker it's a horrible video with me dropping the shrinking tip but it will get my point across.

How too Basics :: Stud puller shrinker video by BasicsofBasics - Photobucket

Here is one using the stud welder properly. All you need is a tap on the button to weld it, just a tap like you do on your computer keyboard. You don't burn the thing in like I did before I was taught how to properly do it. In the video you will see how I weld a couple on and give it a simple wiggle and it falls right off. Then you will see me pulling with the slide hammer on one and I can give it a heck of a whack pulling on the metal pretty good, then a little wiggle and it falls right off. You do NOT need to burn it in so you have to cut it off with a pair of wire cutters for goodness sakes. But that is how I was using it not knowing any better until my boss showed me.

How too Basics :: Stud puller video by BasicsofBasics - Photobucket

Brian
I have been looking at your videos Brian. Would it be possible that you could shrink with 3 or 4 or more short quick spurts to shrink an area instead of getting the metal so soft that in indents the area? I am not trying to be a know-it-all here. I have never had a stud gun in my hand so I have questions not answers.

John L

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
It's possible, but you don't have much heat at all unless you hold for a while. It's like the stud, if you don't hold the button long it's barely holding on and is sure hasn't created much heat.

And other thing, I need to remember is the fact that the metal on our old cars is so much different, I don't know how the gun will react on the older stuff, it is thicker but it is softer metal with less carbon so I don't know. I will try to give it a try on some older stuff. I think I have something out there that I don't care about to give it a test.

Brian
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

By the way John, you are very right of course, if I move it around in a small area that should work. I'll give it a go tonight or over the weekend.

Brian
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Swapped out my plug wires yesterday. The new MSD was shorting through the old wires where they went between heads and firewall. Went with larger/better insulation and cured the little low rpm miss I had.
Also picked up my stash of oil for the next few changes! Found an ad on the local Craigslist for an old 24 can case of Valvoline Racing oil 20/50 for $4 a can!!! Can't believe somebody still had a case of good old zinc based oil still in cardboard cans! Saves me about $2.40 a qt. over the Brad Penn I've been buying.
Now I just need to find that old can opener!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

What a find! That's like gold now, how cool is that.

Brian
Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I'll give you 5 . Don't Sensor me, just joking.

Back to the stud gun. The reason I never bought one Brian was I am old enough that I hammer welded with acetylene for years. When the stud guns started appearing I learned to take 3/32 acetylene copper coated rods and stick them on with my MIG welder. Instead of using a slide hammer I lay a 6 inch long piece of 1x2 beside the "stud", grab the stud with a pair of diagonal pliers and using the wood as a fulcrum lift the stud up pulling the dent. It is a little more time consuming but really works well. Remember, I do very little customer work so time is not an issue in most cases.

I have the English Wheel and planishing hammer so I can usually get a panel stretched but if I over stretch it I end up in Pugsy's situation. Trying to find the best way to shrink a fairly broad low crown area. I built an entire 34 Ford Victoria trunk skin a few years ago and got the lower area that rolls out over stretched causing it to stick out from the body a bit. I had no way to shrink it back. I had 2 things going for me. First I was doing it for free so my Buddy was tickled with what we had done and secondly he is an artist with a TIG. He slit the lower portion in several places and welded it back. The shrinkage from the welding pulled the panel in enough to make it fit Really well. I get jealous when I see these videos of power hammers with shrinking anvils that can draw metal in as effectively as I can stretch it.

John L
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Funny you should mention the MIG welder and studs, I thought I was a smarty pants and figured I would make a tip for the mig that would hold the stud. So I designed this tip and had a machine shop make a few for me. I was so brilliant I figured I could sell them. One problem, the mig doesn't produce enough amperage to stick it on. The amperage it takes to melt a tiny wire is a little different than welding that stud on.

So I broke down and bought the stud welder.

Brian
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Coated up 4 test pistons, with a special Abradable Powder coating so a new piston skirt profile can be developed.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDean70mc View Post
Coated up 4 test pistons, with a special Abradable Powder coating so a new piston skirt profile can be developed.
Can you explain a little bit more JD.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Funny you should mention the MIG welder and studs, I thought I was a smarty pants and figured I would make a tip for the mig that would hold the stud. So I designed this tip and had a machine shop make a few for me. I was so brilliant I figured I could sell them. One problem, the mig doesn't produce enough amperage to stick it on. The amperage it takes to melt a tiny wire is a little different than welding that stud on.

So I broke down and bought the stud welder.

Brian
Neat idea though. At least you tried.

John L
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Been out in the garage making more black spots all over.

Its shrinking real quick with the torch.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Sheetrocking for me...PITA
BUT I did get a 73 alfa romano in the shop today...
The guy is a member of HR and wanted a place to do a resto on it with a little guidance from the DBM....This should be an interesting project, I have high hopes for this guy,he wants to do all the work himself ...on a tight budget ,hes a grad student...I'm all in on this one...very cool looking car I was expecting some kind of spider deal,not even close...even the motor looks cool...
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Cheer up Mike. Sheetrock mud sands a lot easier than body filler

John L
Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

I am so damn tired coming home from work lately it's ticking me off. I don't have energy to go out and do anything. We are short handed and busier! I try not to do everything I use to because I just can't but I am still whooped when I leave.

Tonight I had to wake up from sleeping on the couch after the game to go out and spend my five minutes. Ended up with about 10 minutes. It's better than nothing but I am getting ticked about this. Anyway I pulled down the sides to the irons at the quarter window and put a screw thru just so the top is being stretched a little so it will be happy when I pull it back where it needs to be later.

Brian

Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

[QUOTE=MARTINSR;1575628]

Tonight I had to wake up from sleeping on the couch after the game to go out and spend my five minutes. Ended up with about 10 minutes. It's better than nothing but I am getting ticked about this. Anyway I pulled down the sides to the irons at the quarter window and put a screw thru just so the top is being stretched a little so it will be happy when I pull it back where it needs to be later.

Brian

Trust me, in about 13 years you will just be glad to tell people about the things you used to do. Of course, you will occasionally at least think about doing something. You might even think about the things you would like to do.... Ya know, Maybe I will do something tomorrow. Maybe.

John L

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.