Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#20,404 ·
Bolted the TH350 on the engine and snuck it in. The trans is wedged against the floor and crossmember and won't go back any further but is very close to where it needs to be. The Davis Speed Equipment conversion mounts are dead on for fit..:cool:

Right now, it is sitting on the balancer. If I could get it back another 1", it would clear but still be too close to the radiator mount. I ordered a 2 groove balancer for it for more clearance. This balancer is for a truck with belt operated air compressor.

The intake and carb fit really well, but the truck header I have isn't even close..:( I ordered a set of cast split manifolds for it.

Then I swapped the dry rotted rear tires and wheels onto the Chevelle for when it goes to paint. These tires are 275/60R15 on 7x15" Z/28 wheels. They have all kinds of room...:D

An 8" piecrust should look crazy cool under there...:mwink:

I like the look,the sidewalls look like the old M&H Racemasters,,I had a set years ago but mine were recapedd slicks.not really what I wanted but all I could afford.:thumbup:

#20,407 ·
OK Brian that is freakazoid. What happens when you pull the trigger?

That Luv should be a quick one. You'll want better headrests than stock!

Mmm, pie crust. Hey Mitch put a GP on each elbow, you'll never look back.

Today I caught up on yard and cars. The mower lady is forgiven and it was a pleasant day of running all my loud things and hearing few barks. Have not used the gong yet, hope I never do.

Attachments

#20,408 ·
The trigger does nothing now, I had someone suggest I make it the switch to turn the light on but I couldn't make that happen without getting to burnt out and not getting it DONE.

That's one cool thing about projects like this, they actually get done! Imagine that!

Brian

#20,409 ·
Looks good Brian. :thumbup:

I ordered a new top for the roadster yesterday, Drove the roadster to the Cleveland, Tn cruise in today but have not worked on the Bel Air this week. I hope I get back to my five minutes a day Monday.

I did get a good restorable RH gravel guard off Ebay this week as well as a 16 inch Hurst shifter stick that should clear my bench seat. I am excited about both of those.

John

#20,410 ·
I like the look,the sidewalls look like the old M&H Racemasters,,I had a set years ago but mine were recapedd slicks.not really what I wanted but all I could afford.:thumbup:

When I built my 52 Chevy I couldn't afford custom wheels. I bought some stock front tires and a set of them Pie Crust Cheater Slicks. I mounted them on some stock I think 55 steel rims. The car was a light power blue and the wheels were painted the body color. I had small dog dish type hub caps and in the back the slicks looked like snow tires from a distance and it was a real sleeper. I like that look.:cool:

#20,411 · (Edited)
Am I the only one working today and yesterday,,installing the stud girdle ,problem is they don't fit,has anyone had this problem,,they are not the Cheapos, but don't
align with the poly locks..:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

#20,412 ·
Yesterday, I brought the Chevelle body home from the blaster.

Today, I played with split ring wheels. I had to swap tires on them.

Lots of No Rim Rust lube to help the ring slide in place correctly.

Safety cage...;) I "exercise" the tube and seat the ring by filling to 20# without the core and letting it relax, then 40#...relax, then 60#...relax. Then I put the core in and inflate to 80#

All done with 80#'s of air pressure. No explosion, maiming or death.

#20,416 ·
Mine are 20" and for the '52 flat bed I am selling. I had the new steer tires sitting here for 3 years and now that I'm selling it am putting them on...:rolleyes:

Yeah, you need to know what you are doing, pay attention and be careful with split rim wheels.
Ok thought I might help,,I have changed many of them after about a year we finally bought a cage,made me feel a little better,

#20,417 ·
Mitch are you hosing the epoxy? Don't recall the exact plan. Happy with the blast job? Glad you didn't draw back a stump after changing tires.

Today I made the panels for the rest of the Bronco job's floor. Yesterday was mostly cutting and planning. I have had decent luck peeling strips of the bedliner material after cutting an edge and getting it started with a chisel. Hoping my GP tires are in, I am going to go pull wheels now and put it on stands in the garage. Keep forgetting to bring my impact home for this. I'll be doing good just to find my thin wall socket.

Attachments

#20,418 ·
I worked with the stud girdles and poly locks,tried several different ways,,so I finally called Jegs and was told the intake polly locks are 2in long and the exaust are 2.754 so I had to order 2 set today and a set of 1-1/2 in aluminum valve cover spacers

would be nice if they listed that in catalog Before I ordered the wrong ones,,i guess I have an extra set now,,Standard length,

they have to be longer where the girgle clamps on smooth part of the body which is smaller below the hex nut,

Attachments