Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#20,421 ·
I pulled a friends Quadrajet apart today because the accelerator pump was not puttimg out. The car was very hard to start.

I have never heard this before but I believe the accelerator pump piston was stuck to the bore in the carburator. The car has been sitting for a couple of years anyway.

Long story short, I cleaned it up put the pump in and set the float. It turned half a turn and fired up. Ran good, but we did not drive it do to rain.... Long day but at least it ended well.

John

#20,423 ·
Good ole Q-jets. John I have seen a diaphragm stick and flip inside out but never had the whole thing stick.

Just took the GP out with new front tires... Happy.

Bronco rear pan is plugged in now, corners lack finishing and last will be patches for B pillar very bottoms. Before installing the pan, I held it up in the middle of the shop and yelled "How many plug weld holes in this pan?". They were all way off. Wanna take a guess, anyone?

Biscayne got epoxy underneath then this is rock guard and paint is tomorrow but its already weekend for this pup.

Attachments

#20,424 ·
Before installing the pan, I held it up in the middle of the shop and yelled "How many plug weld holes in this pan?". They were all way off. Wanna take a guess, anyone?

Biscayne got epoxy underneath then this is rock guard and paint is tomorrow but its already weekend for this pup.
'Bout a hunert an sixtyfive holes...:pain:

Underside of the Biscuit looks really nice.

Painter came over a couple nights back to see the new issues on the necked
Chevelle. He said not to fret, most he can take care of with an epoxy seam sealer or all metal...:confused: Swears it's bullet proof and I'll never see them under the epoxy primer/sealer. He's the one who is guaranteeing the job, so I'm gonna turn him loose with it.

#20,425 ·
I have one who is a plumber,:D
and is willing to relocate,

Yea and I am proud to call you my ,Friend,:D:D

I removed plumber photo,didnt want to offend anyone,
I am glad to have these guys know I am your friend but I pray they don't think I am your plumber! :D

'Bout a hunert an sixtyfive holes...:pain:

Underside of the Biscuit looks really nice.

Painter came over a couple nights back to see the new issues on the necked
Chevelle. He said not to fret, most he can take care of with an epoxy seam sealer or all metal...:confused: Swears it's bullet proof and I'll never see them under the epoxy primer/sealer. He's the one who is guaranteeing the job, so I'm gonna turn him loose with it.
Mitch, as long as the metal is clean on both sides and there is no rust in there to grow, I think you will be fine. Obviously, you would prefer it not to be there but the reason most non metal repairs fail is because rust continues to grow behind the panel.

John

#20,426 ·
Mitch, as long as the metal is clean on both sides and there is no rust in there to grow, I think you will be fine. Obviously, you would prefer it not to be there but the reason most non metal repairs fail is because rust continues to grow behind the panel.

John
That's what bothers me, there is no way to get behind these pin holes to get clean metal. I may cut out some of them and weld in a patch and then after it's all painted use an undercoating wax to try to seal up the remaining rust from growing.

#20,428 ·
You're getting warm, Mitch. Lot warmer than guesses of 60-80. I stopped counting at 170 and a guy counted 175 plus I added a couple after. So if only half are good, theres still as many as some would guess. Ha.

100% agree with John on your bonus rusty spots. Blasting makes the thought of reinforced filler bearable in your situation. But you should patch all. Trying not to set a trap for any of us with my response, huh? For reference the Biscayne had it's share once they got out the scaler in no man's land over the axle. I had to stop somewhere and you can too. Footloose spent some time doing small patches with it on the lift, and of course painter hid the unspeakable with a masterful application of sealer. I think the rock guard is a wonderful thing, myself.

Words cannot express how much I am nodding yes to cavity wax or internal panel coating or whatever the name. Mitch, knowing a little about your car fixing style... I must encourage you to splurge for the 3M Rust Fighter setup. Gun, wand, quarts of stuff. Go nuts on all your frames and bodies with it. It doesn't cause problems, only maybe a few drips which wipe off with WnG remover.

By the way that red SBC I posted awhile back is the color for the 60 Biscayne job. Flat cleared like the underside is getting. Shiny red body. White on top. Here is a pic of how my wheelwell lips turned out.

I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a low cost option to get me back posting full size pics. Seen a couple that made me go hmm. Pretty much any electronics over a few years old just don't apply to today.

Attachments

#20,432 ·
Pulled the plugs and they all were dark caramel, except for #5/#7. 7 is black and an oil burner. 5 is on the left. Trying to do a complete compression check, charging battery.. Wish I could replace it. If you remember, I'm going thru 1qt every 600 miles with no blue smoke out the pipes. SBC Changing plugs for the 1st time after changing leaky intake gaskets...

Attachments

#20,434 ·
Pulled the plugs and they all were dark caramel, except for #5/#7. 7 is black and an oil burner. 5 is on the left. Trying to do a complete compression check, charging battery.. Wish I could replace it. If you remember, I'm going thru 1qt every 600 miles with no blue smoke out the pipes. SBC Changing plugs for the 1st time after changing leaky intake gaskets...
Is it possible it was sucking oil through the leaky intake gasket?

John

#20,437 ·
If you didn't change/clean the plugs immediately after the engine work, that could still be from the leaking gasket issue.

#20,438 ·
I put my 1952 6400 flat bed truck up for sale on craigslist and 1 guy is interested in looking at it. Now I have to get it home from storage today and get 2 more tires swapped around so it's ready for viewing.
Kind of don't want to see the old truck leave, but with the purchase of the '89 rollback last year, and now the 292 I had built for it going in the '54 sedan, my plans for it have evaporated. Time for someone else to make big plans for it...;)

#20,440 ·