Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#20,441 ·
Spent a little time finding a workaround for my computer situation and managed to get the Catalina trunk lid project pics up to date-

Old car body repair pic dump: Catalina repairs- trunk lid part one- teardown /plan

Old car body repair pic dump: Catalina repairs, trunk lid part two- fabrication

Old car body repair pic dump: Catalina repairs, trunk lid part three- patching

Part two and three I just added. :)
Good stuff Matt. Your pictures don't give credit for the amount of finesse, patience and time spent on the welding and grinding progress.

I just love seeing an old piece saved in a quality way that will give service. Nicely done.

John

#20,442 ·
Took that nice long cruz with my daughter. With a side trip to L&M Fleet Supply for oil etc and a "quick" trip into Wally World for the daughter, needed new sunglasses.... :rolleyes: Had a vehicle or 2 stop while driving by to take a pic b/4 we could get out of the car..... Yeah, it's still kinda neat....:)

#20,443 ·
Good stuff Matt. Your pictures don't give credit for the amount of finesse, patience and time spent on the welding and grinding progress.

I just love seeing an old piece saved in a quality way that will give service. Nicely done.

John
Thank you kindly sir. I don't anticipate big trouble but the test will be putting it on the car. I do hope somebody somewhere someday gets an idea from seeing my method. Lots of unwanted panels can be saved and I try to walk a line between value and quality so the work flows. The Bronco job required turning the fuss and expectations knobs to a lower setting. Working on updates for that and the 60 Chevy but posting this way is alarmingly time consuming with the neighbor dog helping me concentrate!:evil:

#20,444 ·
Thank you kindly sir. I don't anticipate big trouble but the test will be putting it on the car. I do hope somebody somewhere someday gets an idea from seeing my method. Lots of unwanted panels can be saved and I try to walk a line between value and quality so the work flows. The Bronco job required turning the fuss and expectations knobs to a lower setting. Working on updates for that and the 60 Chevy but posting this way is alarmingly time consuming with the neighbor dog helping me concentrate!:evil:
I understand. I am still looking for a solution for our 3rd party photo hosting. I will loose my Photobucket pictures 12/31/2018. The reason I have the extra 16 month is because I paid 12.95 for additional storage. That made me a paying customer and gave me a stay of execution. 12.95 is one thing. 399.00 is something else and that won't happen.

Still don't know what I am going to do.

John

#20,445 ·
I understand. I am still looking for a solution for our 3rd party photo hosting. I will loose my Photobucket pictures 12/31/2018. The reason I have the extra 16 month is because I paid 12.95 for additional storage. That made me a paying customer and gave me a stay of execution. 12.95 is one thing. 399.00 is something else and that won't happen.

John
This whole thing seriously pisses me off. I hope, I hope with all my soul they go bankrupt.

Brian

#20,446 ·
I've been working on my fuse box in my Nova and it has a problem with one of the clips that hold one of the fuses on one end. Every time I go to replace that fuse I have to hold that clip from pushing back in the slot and the fuse not clipping in. I've looked online and seen there was a company that made adapters to change from glass fuses to spade fuses by using adapters in each slot, but the company that made them is said to be non existant now. Here is a link to a website with the name of the company and a pic of what the adapters look like. I don't want to have to change the whole fuse box if I can get away with it. It would be a grat help if anyone knows where I can find them now. American Innovation Corp. Fuse Adapter Misc. Parts Reviews - Carreview.com

American Innovation Corp. Fuse Adapter Misc. Parts Reviews - Carreview.com

#20,447 ·
My garage time today was helping my daughter with this school project. They did just about everything other than cutting the wood (they measured it all out for me) and starting the screws. I started every screw then let them finish it. My daughter sanded it with the DA and they got it all painted, done deal. :D

Brian

Attachments

#20,448 ·
I've been working on my fuse box in my Nova and it has a problem with one of the clips that hold one of the fuses on one end. Every time I go to replace that fuse I have to hold that clip from pushing back in the slot and the fuse not clipping in. I've looked online and seen there was a company that made adapters to change from glass fuses to spade fuses by using adapters in each slot, but the company that made them is said to be non existant now. Here is a link to a website with the name of the company and a pic of what the adapters look like. I don't want to have to change the whole fuse box if I can get away with it. It would be a grat help if anyone knows where I can find them now. American Innovation Corp. Fuse Adapter Misc. Parts Reviews - Carreview.com

American Innovation Corp. Fuse Adapter Misc. Parts Reviews - Carreview.com

When the metal part of my old el Camino's fuse box rotted on one side, I just went to a local parts store and picked up a universal blade type fuse box. Hung it next to the old and just changed the connections over. Would that work for you, using a whole new box? Places that make harnesses should have marked blade type fuseboxes that bolt in place of the old, if using stock mounting location is a concern.

#20,450 ·
When the metal part of my old el Camino's fuse box rotted on one side, I just went to a local parts store and picked up a universal blade type fuse box. Hung it next to the old and just changed the connections over. Would that work for you, using a whole new box? Places that make harnesses should have marked blade type fuseboxes that bolt in place of the old, if using stock mounting location is a concern.

I could go to a local salvage yard and get a good used one, but I was just looking for something faster and easier. I might even be able to use some epoxy or JB Weld on the backside for a temporary fix too. I just like the spade fuses better because they're easier to change than the glass ones.

#20,451 ·
I could go to a local salvage yard and get a good used one, but I was just looking for something faster and easier. I might even be able to use some epoxy or JB Weld on the backside for a temporary fix too. I just like the spade fuses better because they're easier to change than the glass ones.
Easier to change and to find too, these days. There's a couple later model fuse boxes in my junk collection with spots for relays and all but yep I'm with you on keeping it simple. Too bad that old fuse box plastic probably isn't weldable.

My mind is a wreck today. Body feels it too. What I hoped would be four days of much needed rest has turned into neighbor combat. Staying within my rights has been tough in this barking dog situation that ruined summer for me. Today police came to my door so perhaps I've gotten their attention with my indirect methods. The rage is too deep to be direct about it. I showed the police midnight barking videos and signed a complaint. Hopefully reasonable silence will be all that follows.

#20,453 ·

John
I'm in the same place and hope they come to their senses about the ridiculous pricing long before they kick us out. If not, someone will step in when they see the opportunity to catch all the people falling away from Photobucket. I went thru this several years ago with Webshots too. That's how I ended up at the bucket. Someone else always comes along...:D

#20,455 ·
Easier to change and to find too, these days. There's a couple later model fuse boxes in my junk collection with spots for relays and all but yep I'm with you on keeping it simple. Too bad that old fuse box plastic probably isn't weldable.

My mind is a wreck today. Body feels it too. What I hoped would be four days of much needed rest has turned into neighbor combat. Staying within my rights has been tough in this barking dog situation that ruined summer for me. Today police came to my door so perhaps I've gotten their attention with my indirect methods. The rage is too deep to be direct about it. I showed the police midnight barking videos and signed a complaint. Hopefully reasonable silence will be all that follows.
Can't they write a "disturbing the peace" ticket to the dog owner ? We had some new people move in a block away a few years ago, who were breeding dogs and they barked day and night. The police wrote 26 tickets until the county finally stepped in and took the dogs for them not having kennel or breeding licenses. They ended up moving about a year later, because they weren't making payments on the house either. Good riddance...:D

#20,456 ·
Can't they write a "disturbing the peace" ticket to the dog owner ? We had some new people move in a block away a few years ago, who were breeding dogs and they barked day and night. The police wrote 26 tickets until the county finally stepped in and took the dogs for them not having kennel or breeding licenses. They ended up moving about a year later, because they weren't making payments on the house either. Good riddance...:D
Thats the idea, a citation. No, not a front wheel drive iron duke Chevy.:D I believe animal control takes over after a few tickets. There was one of those crappy tenant / breeders across the street awhile back. In my time at this location I have lived through some incredibly bad dog owners but this takes the cake. Everybody on my street probably thinks my dog is the problem since the noise seems to come from my yard. I have no dog. I also just about lost my voice from the yelling. I expect no change in the dog situation and more efforts to portray me as a threat. I could legally park the 69 with exhaust tips about 20' from their bedroom. Could do much more within my rights. They are underestimating my potential, I can do trouble I just don't want or deserve none.

#20,460 ·
I finally got around to changing the broken rocker stud on #7.

Yay!...something car related.

My new tailgate is at the body shop for paint. Hopefully get that soon.

Both things I was wondering about. Cool news!:cool:

Done with Bronco floor, finned Pontiac coming to my stall tomorrow but theres still Bronco hood rust. Painter will start hosing down the Chevy with expensive stuff tomorrow. Boss says nearly no new panels are available for the 59 Cat, just pans. But the frame manufacturer indicates that it's going to be quite a bit of build to fit. So the body shell may be sitting atop the new frame to start off. I am kind of excited about any Pontiaction. A stock gold 67 GTO dropped off today also. I feel sort of like Snidely Whiplash, waiting for a train with Nell tied to the tracks.:thumbup:

Attachments