The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 106 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,141 Times in 1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Top look good Brian but how are you ever going to be able to show your face again with that wrinkle?
BB
Smart Alec! I know I am expecting too much. I know that I just looked at two tops at the shop on cars that the top is used, they go up and done often and they look about as good as mine. I am now convinced that the Dodge Dart I saw at the show Saturday that was perfect because it never went down! I mean, come on, it's at a show and the top isn't down? Everyone puts the top down on converts at the show. THAT is why it was perfect!

No, I am ready to finish this car up and I am getting jazzed.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
I think you have the right idea Brian. Notice there are no wrinkles in mine as long as I don"t put the top up. I still believe the dart in your top at the rear bow is sewn incorrectly. I don't think your problem is lack of skill. The thing is, you would know for sure if this was your 20th top and not your first. I for one really appreciate you keeping us in the loop.

John L

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

I wonder, this is a super nice, high quality top (MUCH better than the one I started with) and I have to assume a pro would take care of this without missing a beat. I am going to try to gather it up and staple it down before I put the wire-on over it.

Brian

Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You know what...I think verts look better with the top down anyway.if it were mine it would only be up in the garage to keep dust out of the car. and the unexpected rain storm ....Just remember to pull over to let it down when driving down the hwy
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Mike, I am sure I have told this story but damn it brings back good memories every time I think of it. My mom had a few converts, and never drove with the top down. The only reason she had them was my dad got a good deal on them. The last was a 68 Impala. I would go take it out all the time with the top down. One day I came home put the top up and minutes later she took off in the car, thing was, it started pouring rain right before she took off. A few minutes later I hear the horn honking, A LOT. I look out the front room window to see my mom sitting in the Impala, top down with the rain falling on her in the drivers seat! LOL, I had forgotten to clamp in the front of the top! LOL, I ran out there and put the top up and mopped down the seats and as I was doing it I said "Jeeez mom, you put the top down once and decide to do it when it's raining?" or something like that. She didn't laugh, but I'll bet she did later.

Brian
Old 08-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Didn't "work on" anything but i did collect some parts over the last few days. Found a 77 trans am that the guy was parting out and grabbed a bunch of stuff. Fenders, bumper, wheel flares, spoiler, dash, gauges, air dam, and a muncie rock crusher 4 speed. step by step....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

this week

Well my son came home from CA for a few days and we ripped out all the carpet and everything else in the trunk area of my wifes 350z. two years ago we had a major mouse nest building project in the car. after having professionals try to clean up the mess we finally did it ourselves.
Ordered new carpets from Nissan installed them and took every piece of trim out in the hatch area. Vacuumed out the remaining nest and dead bodies, washed and scrubbed the metal then clear coated the whole back area. Got the new carpet in and seats plus all the trim. We spent about 8 hours on it. Had no idea how much damage a mouse can do in one winter. sc
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

No work today, just fun! Went to the Billetproof Drags at Toutle, Wa. and ran the Austin down the strip for it's maiden voyage! 23 yrs. since I ran the strip, and a calendar could judge my reaction times! Still I had way too much fun, and will go back next year again!
The Austin did well, and could improve with a better driver! Ended up in the mid 8 sec. time on the Riverdale 1/8 mile track. Got staged against a twin engine dragster for one pass, and if he hadn't smoked the tires the whole 1/8 mile he'd have left me at the starting line!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Too tired to post about it yesterday, so here goes: Yesterday I yanked the 350 out of my 65 c-10 to trade with a gentleman that had a 455 olds out of a boat that had a bad hull. Got there and it was a 70-72 455 with "C" casting heads, 73-74 455 Quadrajet, Drilled crank for a manual, Mallory Dual Point and still had all the fancy (and expensive) boat do-dads attached! I traded him for a 350 four bolt with 993 heads, cast aluminum valve covers, an edlebrock performer intake, Accell HEI, Carter Carb and Long tube block huggers. My 350 was a good, solid short block though.

Trying to unload all the boat stuff on a friend that builds boats, hopefully for a 5.7L MPFI Marine intake (for my 96 c2500) and some other stuff. I'm pretty happy with my score, and the C-10 is finally going to get it's Oldsmobile heart. Got a th400 to throw behind it that my dad built back in the early 90s until I manage to unload this sm420 and find a good muncie or st-10 to sit behind the 455.

It was a good day and this is craigslist score number two! A few months back, I traded my fleetside long bed for a very nice stepside long bed off a 62 jimmy.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Here's a pic for the icing on the cake:

(apologies for the watermark, it's from my website)
Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
No work today, just fun! Went to the Billetproof Drags at Toutle, Wa. and ran the Austin down the strip for it's maiden voyage! 23 yrs. since I ran the strip, and a calendar could judge my reaction times! Still I had way too much fun, and will go back next year again!
The Austin did well, and could improve with a better driver! Ended up in the mid 8 sec. time on the Riverdale 1/8 mile track. Got staged against a twin engine dragster for one pass, and if he hadn't smoked the tires the whole 1/8 mile he'd have left me at the starting line!
Holy cow how cool is that! Man do I miss the local drag strip. We had one of the fastest in the nation, now we have ANOTHER strip mall with a ANOTHER Starbucks and ANOTHER Subway. I got to go up against some all out dragsters in my day and watch them take off away from me like my friggin engine died. But never so cool as a twin engine rail, and your car is so friggin bad, what a great time!

Jimmy, that is a score, pretty cool motor hope you get some good dough for it.

I went to the Goodguys (posted photos elsewhere) and did find time to come home Saturday and get my convertible out in the sun to heat that top up so I could fix one of my screw ups. I just about crapped my pants when I went in the garage for something and saw that the one staple I had at the center of the rear bow had pulled thru the top and was dangerously close off the front of the bow! I put it out in the heat and stretched it back and fully stapled the top across there, it's all good and heart attack averted.

Brian
Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

It was lots of fun Brian! Here's a youtube video of the same race!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

That is so damn cool it's crazy! Man do I miss our dragstrip. Have fun and don't let a trip down the track go without acknowledging the blessing you have! Really, we need to remind ourselves every day what a glorious life this is and not wait around for the extra special things to happen. THAT was a super extra special thing and reason to get up in the morning, don't forget that!

Brian
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That is so damn cool it's crazy! Man do I miss our dragstrip. Have fun and don't let a trip down the track go without acknowledging the blessing you have! Really, we need to remind ourselves every day what a glorious life this is and not wait around for the extra special things to happen. THAT was a super extra special thing and reason to get up in the morning, don't forget that!

Brian
Couldn't have said that better myself Brian! I am truly blessed to be able to enjoy life and retirement!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
Been out of town visiting the daughter and grandkids. Ditto on being blessed to be able to enjoy the retirement. Hope to do something I can brag on when I get back home. In the mean time I will enjoy all of your accomplishments guys.

John L

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.