Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#21,181 ·
tweaked the suspension on my bike some more , had it set up a lil to tight and couldnt drift the rear of the bike around corners like i needed to to keep speed up , tonight the camaro should be going over to the shop
engine pull/replacement , going from 352ci/722rwhp to 454+ci and 1,100 or so rwhp <--- this is what happens when overkill isnt enough OVERKILL !!!!!!!!!!

#21,182 ·
I am a sucker for the Old Vintage wood look ,also like the rustic look of a log house or cabin.

What does the bottom side look like can you turn it over.
It's painted white so I won't explore that. A lot of work to only find something that's possibly not good.

#21,184 ·
Oh heck no, you're cool:cool: I saw your quick thanks and was talking like you just wandered into my stall from across the shop. If you walked into my house I would apologize for the mess. Like that. Speaking of the grouthouse, um... is that thing growing rooms while you sleep? Good grief. Is there a Pugsy cave in there behind a bookcase? Are you saving that ("den") for last or was that first? It's all a blur now but what an amazing crib!:thumbup:
Thanks.

Small office for Dad.
It's about 11' x 7'.

Attachments

#21,185 ·
Today I winterized both travel trailers. Gettin' a tad chilly out there, so it was time to admit that I wasn't gonna need them for camping any more this year.

6 gallons of RV anti-freeze later - now time to "gift wrap" them for winter (install RV covers)
I put the boat away yesterday. Was trying to hold out for a last fishing trip.
Lousy weather though.

It was a tight squeeze into the backyard. I didn't allow for the eaves trough downspout. About 2" on each side clearance to get that sucker squeezed into the backyard.

#21,188 ·
Pugsy, I'm sure glad my wife doesn't read this stuff, your work ethic puts me in a bad place,lmao. I'm loving your build and the detail. :cool::cool:

Later gator
Russ
Really, I thought I did a hell of a job on the things I have done, it looks like a damn dog house next to Pugsy's stuff, damn.

Brian

#21,189 ·
Dark stain on pine? Hmm. Are you going to get a fresh surface going then tape around the edges and pour car clear on it? Used to sell Sikkens to a place at Love Field and they used some sort of heavy bodied high build industrial polyurethane 2K clear coat which they poured on and dragged with spreaders. Then out came something like a floor polisher almost, to flatten it when dry. Then buffing or a sprayed clear. Just curious and rambling. I know we will see how you do it. I have put Autoclear on rifle stocks before, for a showy finish. But I use car stuff for everything.:drunk:
I made a cross for the front of our church from pine and stained it dark walnut. After I was sure all the solvents had evaporated out of the stain , I used my HVLP gun to spray on three coats of polyurethane. I let that dry for a couple days and then lightly sanded with my D/A with 320 grit to smooth it back down from the fuzzys that came up. Then sprayed three more coats of clear polyurethane. It is super smooth and beautiful.

One day when I think of it , I'll show the three mirrored shadow boxes that I made for my wife to display her glassware. My wife's brother wanted me to build one for him , I quoted him $800 . He thought I did it for fun . I said no, I did it for your sister out of love. Any one else will pay for the materials plus labor.

#21,191 ·
I spent a good part of the day fixing a lawn sprinkler issue, it kicked my butt. I went into the garage after all that to put some tools away and I was giving it up for the night. I saw my door there, damn, I made some welds on the patch panel and that was it, but I got something done.

Brian

#21,195 ·
Well I tried it.... bought ez efi installed first on old school 350 mild cam. Set and go had a edelbrock 1406 on it dyno it gained 21 hp and 33ftlbs torque. Didn?t really believe it so pulled off my Holley 750 off my 383 which checked it previous tune one week ago and dyno. After install did 3 consecutive wot. For it to learn. Ran dyno gained 26 hp and 38.6 ftlbs torque. Have to say very surprised and impressed may increase more with more wot running. What are your thoughts?

#21,196 ·
I have been wondering if I could replace at least the center carg on my BBC with a throttle body FI ,,it is 496 cu in so 1 might not be enough,,i would like to leave front and rear carb if possible , because they can be seen even with the air filter on,

Attachments

#21,200 ·
Got ends made for the 59 Pontiac job's rear trunk pan extension. Just screwed in place for support at this moment. Finishing up welding some cowl bottom repairs today also. Somebody held a tire under it and said we need tubs that are closer together than the trunk hinges... So it's back to patching until decisions are made.:rolleyes:

Attachments