Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#21,201 ·
I got out there after dinner and a long day, not for my truck but to start straightening a Nailhead Oil pan for my brother to put in his 39. It looks like there is still a big buckle, I swear I didn't see that until looking at the photo. If it's really there I'll take care of it tomorrow. Can't wait to drive that 39 of his.

Brian

Attachments

#21,204 ·
Here's the '59 cowl plenum / fender area zapped and patched up, and a better look at the rear trunk pan extension patches shown in place last post. Coatings drying on those and the trunk braces to be reused right now, welding that up after a sandwich.:)

Attachments

#21,205 ·
Not much to show around here, unless you want to see pics of how well my yard vac works...:D Vacuumed all the leaves and then mowed the entire yard while it was a balmy 38°. Today's high is 19°...:mad:
The painter called yesterday and I am picking up the body shell Sunday to put back on the chassis. The chassis is buried under 5-6 weeks of "stuff", so I started looking at digging it out today. Well, of course, moving all the crap on and around it involves "sequences" of movements that took up most of the day finding a place for all the "stuff", other than on or around the chassis...:drunk:

1 tire on my rollback blew out returning the Blue Chevelle a week ago too. It had a cut in the sidewall that I patched, but it let go, so I ordered 2 more tires that came today. Tomorrow's project is to get them on and then get back to work blasting parts for the Chevelle and continuing to get the chassis free.
I did mount and balance the pie crust cheaters today, but I'm calling tomorrow to see about exchanging one that has a huge "counterbalance" patch in it. It took 8 ounces to balance and I'm afraid it will hop at speed.

#21,206 ·
Dang Mitch, 8 oz, eh?:sweat: Maybe thats pie for the course with those.:confused: But mmm, pie.
:drool: 19 degrees sux man. Stick close to the warm one.:mwink:

I almost made it but was grinding as I went, in the interest of heat management. Still have to weld up the right end with it's big gap and all. I can see in the pics that it could use some prettying up. On the inside, those upright corner braces were just stitched to the pan. They were awful shaggy at the bottom so once I put the pan in I'll decide whether that will do now or whether an attaching strip is needed.

Attachments

#21,207 ·
Not getting much done,seems the 1990 had a different floorpan than an 1988 after getting my paint complete ,I bought a used seat from a 1990 single cab and when I tried to install them brackets are wrong ,I had a solid bench and bought a 60/40 ,,the drivers side fits original bolt holes fine ,but passengers side at outside fits ,but the center sits about 4 in higher than drivers side,,i am trying to find a set of original buckets and console,,i have a set from a 89 SS454 Silverado but they are leather and I want cloth,,

!st is what I have 2nd is what I want,

someday I might to clean out my shop some,

Attachments

#21,208 ·
I spent most of the day today and a good part of yesterday cleaning up in the shop. I'm trying to get things situated so that I can get all of the woodworking stuff out of hiding. I'll be picking up the new motor for the compressor tomorrow since Tractor Supply is giving active duty and veterans 15% off for veteran's day. That should come close to covering the 3 year service plan if I decide to do that.

Dave

#21,216 ·
What did I do today, worked on crap late model cars at work. :(

Brian
But did you drive one to get there?:thumbup:

Just type in---Indiana Pontiacs LLC on internet /google or who ever you use ,,you will want to see it,
Got it. Still can't watch the vids but wow that is a lot of Pontiac junk!:cool: If my ***** breaks, I have concluded that seeing it crushed and chopped to bits will have to be the punctuation at the end of my "hobby".:pain: I can't even maintain it these days.:sweat:

#21,217 ·
But did you drive one to get there?:thumbup:

Got it. Still can't watch the vids but wow that is a lot of Pontiac junk!:cool: If my ***** breaks, I have concluded that seeing it crushed and chopped to bits will have to be the punctuation at the end of my "hobby".:pain: I can't even maintain it these days.:sweat:
Nope, I drove Marge, damn I love driving that car every day! Really, driving that funky old car is a treasure and the best part of my work day.

Brian

Attachments

#21,218 ·
pugsy, looking good.

I got one side of the duplex 24 X 36 garage painted, and started moving the stuff back inside, I still have more cabinetry to build for unit no 2, but the sheetrock is hung, I will do the tape and finish. A couple months ago we had a couple guys stop and ask if the 96 4 x 4 chevy was for sale. We haven't used it for a couple years, we still have 2 other chevy farm pickups we don't use any more. We ended up trading the truck for the labor to hang the rock. I am too old to handle 12 ft 5/8 fire code by myself.
A panel saw, table saw. dust collector, 3 30 in X 60 in router-shapers , air compressor, and the garage is almost full again.

Attachments

#21,219 ·
Nope, I drove Marge, damn I love driving that car every day! Really, driving that funky old car is a treasure and the best part of my work day.

Brian
Ducking in and out from under the bodies of the last two monster projects, pushing other projects around, and an hour of stop and go on either end of each day caught up with me this week. Been on my feet and knees or squatting almost all day at work and somewhere along the way I must have pulled something in the arch of my right foot. Hurts to walk, drive, you name it. I say this in quoting you because what did I do as soon as I got home ready to fall down? All my errands, in Grape. HAD to have that time with my ride. It soothes me. Go smooch Marge dead square on the mouth, she has been good to you.

Today was the third day in a row I have made it to the shop. It has felt good to get a little done.

John
It's good to get word from the basement. Been kinda quiet down there.

#21,220 ·
I don't participate in FB and your link requires login. If it's Pontiac junk though, the answer is heck yes.:)

This is one of many getting crushed,,a complete line of 58-59 chevys , probably 100 or more,Nice Pontiacs many of which are convertibles and a few like the one you are working on in decent condition.:mad:

Attachments