The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 108 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,270 Times in 1,112 Posts
Yeah it was nothing but a good time!

It started out very odd, a woman in a surgery like gown opens the door to the waiting room and calls my name. I was seated right at the door and stood up looking right in her face, this woman was SERIOUSLY smitten by me! I don't get that look often and it was VERY obvious as we walked back to the room that this woman was looking at me like a friggin 15 year old girl looking at Justin Bieber! To say this was uncomfortable is an understatement, it creeped me out! So we go in this little room with one "table" and a computer and what not and she gives me a gown to change into behind a curtain. I laid on the table and she is behind me fanning her face with a folder saying it's hot in there! Now, I understand how I could feel cold and if she has been working hard it's hot to her, I get that. But damn I don't see how she could have been THAT hot. She is fanning her face with this folder and I hearing behind me the sound of it flapping as she fanned her face like she was in a ball park in mid July in Texas, it was CREEPY!

All the while I am thinking SHE is the technician that is going to do the biopsy and I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to come back and do this again because it was done wrong, I just accepted that. When my doctor walked in I was so damn happy I could have cried. It was bad enough with him, with her I probably would have gave up in the middle, I came close to doing that as it was.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,203 Posts
LOL..... It must be tuff to go through life being just a sex object. Glad things worked out well........

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, it's hell but someone has to do it.

Brian
Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Well, after a bunch of stuff around the yard and a few ball games on the couch I got out there and did SOMETHING, I MUST get back to the 5 minutes rule and make something happen. Tonight I marked and stapled the front bow permanently across the center. I did find that while it was out in the sun today I need to pull the sides at the header a little tighter. After I do that I can get to fixing that wrinkle on the end of the rear bow and It's about good as done.

Brian

Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
http://community.webshots.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Well today instead of working on my car I had a trans-rectal prostate biopsy, you guys want photos?

Brian
Yeah how about two glossy 8 X 12.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy3600 View Post
Yeah how about two glossy 8 X 12.
Their in the mail!

Brian
Old 09-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

WHOO HOOO this top is looking good! It's a shame I am NEVER going to do another one, if I did another next week it would sure be a lot easier.

I totally finished up all the mounting of the top and wrinkle issues. That is of course if I don't go out there and pull something apart to remove a little wrinkle, as I am SUPER anal (no trans-rectal prostate biopsy jokes please) and keep seeing things to fix. I think I have gotten to a point where the few tiny wrinkles that I THINK I could fix are simply going to stay. There are too many that I KNOW I can't fix, so what the hell. But it looks pretty damn good.

Here is how I took care of those bad ones at the rear bow at the end where the seam was sown.

One thing I learned was that the spray adhesive IS strong enough to hold this top when stretched! I had fought and fought trying to pull the side panel into the frame at the rear of the quarter window and hold it with screws. I never dreamed that the spray adhesive would have held it! I got it to fit real nice there and then in trying to install the rubbers that go right over the top I went ahead and sprayed the adhesive and HOLY CRAP it held it no problem, stretched the top into place and applied pressure and it was THERE. Damn that would have made that area lot easier if I had realized that.

I am a bad *** I tell you!

Brian
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,203 Posts
Yes you are! That looks great. You don't kow how much I have been looking forward to seeing you get past that. Can you explain a little more how you used the Spray adhesive? Did you spray the rear tack rail to temp hold,the top?

Congrats on a good job.

John L.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

I simply masked off the area and then sprayed a couple of good coats on BOTH the top and the top irons with 3m spray trim adhesive.

3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive - Trim Adhesives

I then pressed the piece in, and it sticks SO good you kinda have to do it like applying a decal where you squeegee out the air? You press it on sorta the same way. I have had good luck using it when gluing down a vinyl top that needed some pulling up for rust repair or something like that, I have used it all over with much success. I just didn't think it could hold this "drum skin" like it did!

I left the masking paper on the top iron when I pressed the top onto it so I wouldn't get any glue on the top iron.

Here is a shot of it without any screws (showing how much I moved it to get a wrinkle out for a future "Basics of Baiscs"). You can see it is STUCK down just like a friggin piece of duct tape.

Here is a thread over at Team Camaro where I have talked more about putting this top on. I do plan on making a detailed "Basics" but that probably will be some time before it's done. Convertible top installation discussion thread. No pump or frame talk! - Team Camaro Tech

Brian
Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 AM

Last photo:

Well, I got my wire-on installed and the front moulding vinyl wrapped and ready to do on!

I sealed the rear bow where I had sliced and diced with silicone.

Then installed the wire-on, it went very smooth.

Wrapped the front moulding with vinyl and tucked it into place until tomorrow when I will drop the top and staple it in place.

I am thrilled, I actually found myself a little gitty like the drive home after necking with a girl for the first time.

Brian
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

Reworked the right exhaust pipe on the coupe. Took all day. Gotta love exhaust work! Next, the left...

Keith
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Did you make a new one from scratch?

Brian
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

this weekend

I spent the weekend at Limerock race park in Ct for the 4 day vintage race and car show. went down Sunday and came back Monday 1:00 am. Had to get up for work at 6am this morning but had fun. Lots of cool old race cars.
Saturday I worked on my wiring harness some more, installed the high/low beam foot switch and connected the wires from the harness but my headligts still don't work. running lights all work, can't figure out the headlights. Maybe tonight I will try again. sc
Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Brian, no I had to raise the arch over the rear end housing. I was hitting the exhaust pipes on the two third member studs when going over the bridge abutment dips. I installed two (one on each side of the 90 degree bend) 1.475" risers to raise the arch. If I would of had new pipe and u-bends I would of made a new one. Would of been faster.

Are you going to NSRA is Sac?

Keith
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Double post...

Keith

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.