Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#22,041 ·
So I have been on a binge cleaning up my yard and garage and stuff of the crap I don't need. My God how I have forgotten the stuff I have bought for the truck, holy crap! Check out all the NOS stuff I have!

But along with that is a bunch of crap that I have never used in twenty years and never will. I brought another pile of paint bondo and fiberglass resin to the transfer station today, nice to get rid of that.

I have filled my trailer up twice, I mean filled up over the top twice and there is barely a dent in the yard. The shed does look a lot better, I sold one of my bikes today so that got me a little room.

Brian

Attachments

#22,043 ·
I also my this little piece of memory art done. The handle and the horse shoe are off the "Tack room" that was behind my house my entire childhood. It's a funky photo sorry but I can't find a good one showing the front of the Tack room but you can see the handle and horse shoe.

Anyone know what kind of motorcycle that is? It was my brothers best friends bike.

Brian

Attachments

#22,044 ·
I also my this little piece of memory art done. The handle and the horse shoe are off the "Tack room" that was behind my house my entire childhood. It's a funky photo sorry but I can't find a good one showing the front of the Tack room but you can see the handle and horse shoe.

Anyone know what kind of motorcycle that is? It was my brothers best friends bike.

Brian
I believe it may be a Mustang.

John

#22,046 ·
Got more done on the Chevelle in the garage.

trunk pan all fitted and ready

Chris, the owner, came over and helped weld it in.

Cut out the rusted weld flange, made a cardboard template, transferred to metal and welded that in too.

While Chris was welding, I cut into another problem area in the floor at the left front seat belt area. The floor support was badly rusted away and Chris decided to buy a replacement so we could section in a larger piece, rather than try to patch this.

#22,048 ·
It's hard to know where to stop, huh?

Good stuff,
John
The car needs an entire floor but he isn't ready to do that so we are "patching" it to be safe. This brace holds the seat belt and back of the front seat leg, so we wanted to know it would be strong if called on to hold in the event of a crash.

#22,049 ·
The wife "invited" me to go to Target with her, so I told her I had "man's work" to do and had to go in the shop...:D

The old trunk pan sat up higher in the right corner than the replacement, so I had 3 drill holes that were exposed. I layed 2 pieces of 1/8" arc weld rod in the channel and welded it all shut.

Cleaned up in the wheel house and it's ready for seam sealer and undercoating.

Inside I used the cut-off wheel to sculpt the rods down into the channel enough to use seam sealer to cover the whole mess.

As long as I was curled up in the trunk again, I went ahead and finish ground down the welds.

#22,053 · (Edited)
Today I got out there and went through a bunch of stuff looking for the window channel I need, no luck, crap. I guess I never got one with the door I am using. Anyway, I did find a bunch more stuff I forgot I had, how about an NOS distributor for the Vette 265 and a generator Armature! I have all the NOS parts to rebuild the generator. I went through the boxes and clearly marked them and they are ready to go.

I got my door windows out and pulled them apart and got the broken glass out (that was NOT easy) and removed some rusty bolts.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/removing-rusted-bolts-tip-day-389425.html#post4434298

So something got done!

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 123pugsy
#22,057 ·
Today I got out there and went through a bunch of stuff looking for the window channel I need, no luck, crap. I guess I never got one with the door I am using. Anyway, I did find a bunch more stuff I forgot I had, how about an NOS distributor for the Vette 265 and a generator Armature! I have all the NOS parts to rebuild the generator. I went through the boxes and clearly marked them and they are ready to go.

I got my door windows out and pulled them apart and got the broken glass out (that was NOT easy) and removed some rusty bolts.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/removing-rusted-bolts-tip-day-389425.html#post4434298

So something got done!

Brian
Man, If that floor could talk. Looks like a lot of history there.