Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#22,462 ·
Closing in on the small stuff I passed over during the big sections. The replacement inner wheel houses always leave a square hole where they meet the outer house right at the front. I cut a cardboard template, made a patch, punched a bunch of holes and welded it in. The screws are holding the wheel house to the floor that will be replaced sometime in the future. I didn't want to weld all that in solid and then pretty much destroy the weld flange later to remove it for the new floor.

At the back of the inner/outer seam, the outer was rusted away so I cut that out and did the same procedure to form a patch.

I used drill screws to pull all the pieces tight and welded it in.

As it looks from in the trunk and the cardboard template for a small extension of the trunk floor to reach the drop flange.

All done. You can see the hole in the quarter panel and there is a matching hole in the trunk drop too, so, again, no welding of new panels to parts that need to come out later, unless Chris, the owner, decides he wants that. He can easily pull the screws and weld the holes shut.

#22,465 ·
#22,467 ·
He's just trying to hurt us David...... I may not have a W motor but my frugal pride is intact.

John
And my "moneybags" reputation is still intact too...;)

I admit, I probably have more in this engine and everything it took to do the swap than you have in your entire restoration ...:pain:
That cost does include the parts to do the 605 steering swap and a "build-your-own" header system sitting in a box waiting for summer....not saying which one tho...:p

#22,468 ·
Yeah, I drove it a couple hundred miles last year. The car came with a 4.11 open rear carrier, so I swapped that out for a 3.08 I had picked up. Much nicer to drive now without the engine screaming to go 65 mph. She's got little snort off the line yet too...;)

I bet that would be fun to drive with the 4 speed ,I have never driven a 4 speed -09 only an old police car 64 with a powerglide that I bought at the police auction ,when they got their new 67s in with 427s,

#22,469 ·
1778 miles is sure a long way to go to have dinner with someone, ha...

It was great hooking up, having dinner and of course the shop tour.
John's metal work is as good as the selective angles he chooses to snap the pics, ha...

As for the El Camino, I couldn't believe the mess in the smuggler's box.....oh gawd......absolutely fantastic. The deck panel is sealed in place with what, I have no idea, but whatever it is looks quite fantastic.

The only thing out of place with the smuggler's box was the shotgun shell which I promptly returned to the seller. Don't think crossing the border with that would have been a good plan.

Car needs a whack of minor issues fixed, just from pulling it off the trailer. Seems like a real rattle trap.

No time to investigate today....I'm beat :pain:....now I know how Mitch feels.

#22,470 ·
And my "moneybags" reputation is still intact too...;)

I admit, I probably have more in this engine and everything it took to do the swap than you have in your entire restoration ...:pain:
That cost does include the parts to do the 605 steering swap and a "build-your-own" header system sitting in a box waiting for summer....not saying which one tho...:p

It could be worse,Much worse,
But you have a great engine for , that is what you wanted so it is worth it,

Attachments

#22,471 ·
Today I didn't get a pic of my work project again. Ran out of time to screw it all together but finished driver front pan and toe board fab except for an inner toe board flange at the hump and drilling plug holes in the toe board. Dang that was a three-toed sentence!

Heres a contender for the Wall of Shame, from the next stall over... we don't question why, we just fix. But this is some thick mud right here, men. Might be 2".:rolleyes:

Attachments

#22,474 ·
That poor ole Chrysler gotta wait a little longer.:(
Well sounds like you got a good deal on a great car anyway. How did you like the weather down here Puggs ?
Thanks...the "deal" remains to be seen.

The weather was fantastic....that's why I picked these particular two days to get the car. :mwink:

#22,475 ·
1778 miles is sure a long way to go to have dinner with someone, ha...

It was great hooking up, having dinner and of course the shop tour.
John's metal work is as good as the selective angles he chooses to snap the pics, ha...

As for the El Camino, I couldn't believe the mess in the smuggler's box.....oh gawd......absolutely fantastic. The deck panel is sealed in place with what, I have no idea, but whatever it is looks quite fantastic.

The only thing out of place with the smuggler's box was the shotgun shell which I promptly returned to the seller. Don't think crossing the border with that would have been a good plan.

Car needs a whack of minor issues fixed, just from pulling it off the trailer. Seems like a real rattle trap.

No time to investigate today....I'm beat :pain:....now I know how Mitch feels.
The trip down is fun and exciting. The trip home is almost drudgery and lasts twice as long as the trip down. You'll sleep like you're dead tonight....and maybe tomorrow night too...:D

#22,477 ·
The trip down is fun and exciting. The trip home is almost drudgery and lasts twice as long as the trip down. You'll sleep like you're dead tonight....and maybe tomorrow night too...:D
Actually, the trip back was better. More exciting driving 80 with a car and trailer than running bobtail. Especially, trying to get to the border patrol dudes before they knocked off for the day.

#22,478 ·
Glad to seeyou are home safe and sound. Hopefully an exhaust system is going to cure about half those rattles.

Keep us posted on how things shake out.

John
We are gonna be seeing a lot of updates on this thread very soon,.

I just opened the AC compressor box. It's not a Sanden as I was told. They couldn't even powder coat the mounting brackets. Truly unbelievable. I will be posting every negative thing I find on every car forum I visit.

And I sure hope the brackets don't bolt to the head because zero accessory holes.

#22,479 ·
I have an M20 that needs rebuilt on the shelf. I'm going to start scrounging for clutch linkage parts over the summer.

NOW, how much for the hemi ??? I've always wanted one for a '67-68 Cuda notchback.
I sold my last hemi last year to of all places an Antique Store he wanted it for a display,,The one pictured is a 426 front dist,,the 392 is a MUCH better engine to drive but wont bring as much money

Tried to post a few pictures of the shop but cant download them