Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#22,501 ·
Pugsy, You did not have to tell these guys that it was so obvious that I use selective camera angles. :mad: :mwink:

Did a lot of running today,.. Taxes, picking up some sand blast media, etc. Not much done but did cobble together some intake gaskets. I used the inserts that came with the felpro gaskets to hold the stainless in place until I get them installed. Don't know how long they will last....Time will tell.

John

Cool, I see what you did there. The little holes might be just right. Slap that baby together, man!

#22,502 ·
Alt will stay where it is.
Hoses are pre-made to fit driver's side.
I will have no problem modifying to fit. Especially if I buy a real set of heads.

On a good note, I did find a 2 groove pulley on the water pump and a 3 groove on the crank.
Hopefully, they will be in the correct place but it never works out that way.

Hopefully it will work for you,,

with no drilled holes on that 327,,they could be 461 or 462 Double humps one of the best steel haeds for sbc,make good power.:thumbup:

#22,503 ·
Alt will stay where it is.
Hoses are pre-made to fit driver's side.
I will have no problem modifying to fit. Especially if I buy a real set of heads.

On a good note, I did find a 2 groove pulley on the water pump and a 3 groove on the crank.
Hopefully, they will be in the correct place but it never works out that way.
Since you essentially have a '68 327 in a '69 model Camino, I wonder of it wouldn't be wiser to sell the 327 to someone who needs it to make there car correct.

That money would go a long way toward a good 350 which is what the '69 would have been born with anyway.

John

#22,504 ·
I'll never try to snatch your pebble. It ain't me thats trying to build your car this minute via the web. Didn't think you would be awake until about Friday. The deck rot thing must be a myth. Likewise, I'll have some solid metal pics soon.:)
No myth for sure. I seen a lot of it, googling after you mentioned it and I was $#&ing my pants til I got to see inside there...ha....

Got it on the hoist and a whack of pics to go thru.

#22,505 ·
Hopefully it will work for you,,

with no drilled holes on that 327,,they could be 461 or 462 Double humps one of the best steel haeds for sbc,make good power.:thumbup:
It will always work...only question is how many times the TIG gets turned on and off.

Need to pull a valve cover for the head numbers.

#22,506 ·
Since you essentially have a '68 327 in a '69 model Camino, I wonder of it wouldn't be wiser to sell the 327 to someone who needs it to make there car correct.

That money would go a long way toward a good 350 which is what the '69 would have been born with anyway.

John
If this engine were to come out, a 5.3 LS style would be filling the hole.
I don't care much about period correctness. Love the injection.

I did find a nice looking Eddy carb under the air filter.
I was pizzed because the auto choke wasn't working. I was unpizzed when I saw the manual choke wire coming from the carb.

So, it's run what I brung for now. No time to play with engines much. Time to straighten a whack of mechanical issues. Gonna need a build thread for them all.

#22,507 ·

I was pizzed because the auto choke wasn't working. I was unpizzed when I saw the manual choke wire coming from the carb.

So, it's run what I brung for now. No time to play with engines much. Time to straighten a whack of mechanical issues. Gonna need a build thread for them all.
Perfect! We need a good build thread. :thumbup:

John

#22,514 ·
Sounds really good Pugsy.. :thumbup: You look happy !!!!:thumbup:
Thanks.

Happier when my buddy came over and gave me the thumbs up.

Even happier after getting it up on the hoist....you guys can't imagine how nervous I was about the hidden compartment and the rockers as John couldn't get eyes on them because of the four post lift.

Attachments

#22,515 ·

Refreshing to hear mention of an Eddy carb in a positive light.:) Heres inspo for you:

I spent a half day scrubbing rust inside the 59 left front body mount pocket and didn't get all my floor pieces screwed in so will build suspense yet another day.:D

Attachments

#22,516 ·
Thanks.

Even happier after getting it up on the hoist....you guys can't imagine how nervous I was about the hidden compartment and the rockers as John couldn't get eyes on them because of the four post lift.
Man that does look spiff! :cool: My bad, I thought it had dumps not tailpipes. Sorry if I had you on pins and needles about rust, but that compartment was less rusty than the rest of the vehicle on them I saw too. All good, and good for you. It was glass beds that were my primary concern based on the grey 68.

#22,517 ·
Refreshing to hear mention of an Eddy carb in a positive light.:) Heres inspo for you:

I spent a half day scrubbing rust inside the 59 left front body mount pocket and didn't get all my floor pieces screwed in so will build suspense yet another day.:D
Yep....that's the direction I would go.

You know, this car will be ready for a frame off by the time my hot rod is done....interesting how things work out, eh?

And since it would be off the frame already, it would be time for that swap.

#22,519 ·
Thanks.

Yeah, that looks nice. Isn't it fun getting a really clean car from down south ? I love going south for cars that don't need everything from the door handles down replaced. It sounds good too..:cool:

#22,520 ·
good fun on the rack to get this wheel house out and then cut the quarter. If you look at the wheel house it's pretty excessive. They didn't want to replace it and it was folded over and mangled, so it was a nice 8 hour ticket for a couple pulls and hammer and dollying. My only concern is that this quarter is the kind that's like a door skin in which it wraps around the edge, so if it's not perfect the quarter follows. There will have to be a little mud in that area regardless. Tomorrow I weld in the quarter and start on another one.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Engine Fender

Got tired of asking my buddy for his sharp bit to make holes in rear bodies/quarters and made my own. Easy peezy.

Pen Metal