Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#22,602 ·
What did I work on today? We are on our way with a purchase of a house to retire to in the Boise area of Idaho.

It just blows me away that a little over a month ago this wasn't even on my plate. I had thought of it of course but that was it. Then wham bam I am doing it and putting bids on houses that I loved and missing them and suddenly the actual purchase and spending money which was the first thing that was working on my gut didn't seem to be that big of a deal. After all the crap of loosing a number of houses we fell in love with this is going pretty smooth.

It just blows me away that for $250k I am buying a house that would cost over a million here!

Anyway, I am looking forward to this change in my life in a few years. I now will be jumping on the truck big time as I want at the very least a rolling project when I move there.

Brian

#22,604 ·
What did I work on today? We are on our way with a purchase of a house to retire to in the Boise area of Idaho.

It just blows me away that a little over a month ago this wasn't even on my plate. I had thought of it of course but that was it. Then wham bam I am doing it and putting bids on houses that I loved and missing them and suddenly the actual purchase and spending money which was the first thing that was working on my gut didn't seem to be that big of a deal. After all the crap of loosing a number of houses we fell in love with this is going pretty smooth.

It just blows me away that for $250k I am buying a house that would cost over a million here!

Anyway, I am looking forward to this change in my life in a few years. I now will be jumping on the truck big time as I want at the very least a rolling project when I move there.

Brian
You will find it very exciting I know. Best of luck with it.

What is you hoped for time frame to make the move?

John

#22,607 ·
W
It just blows me away that for $250k I am buying a house that would cost over a million here! Brian

And not built on a concrete slab either. Good luck to you and your family and I sure hope you enjoy the change(s).
My late step father was born and raised in Frisco and was caught up in the relocation deal in WWII. He spent the rest of his life in Dayton. Ohio and never looked back.

#22,609 ·
Pugsy your pan work looks nice.:thumbup: So theres no wisecracks for you today. I think I know that your metal working expertise is somehow connected to your occupation, and thats plenty because its none of my business, but I am curious if your mechanical side also has a foundation in a past job or something. Its kinda new to me that hardcore-ish DIY guys are building their own automatics. So like did you have a need one day, score a few tools, go by a printed manual? I do have a spark of interest but inquiring minds just want to know. I learned long ago to keep an eye on dudes that fix any part of their cars. It is a pleasure to see you grab a gear and pull away from working on the castle.:)

John, goodness gracious. Mercy sakes alive. Glory be, I must be as confused as a fart in a fan factory. I thought you had a couple cans of Spam to eat last week and now I am... :embarrass:drunk::(:sweat:

:D;)

In IDJ snooze, theres that dadgum trans tunnel which was tougher than I anticipated to fit. And looking at the pics I am telling myself to clean up the english wheel rollers. I'll have you all know that it took a certain amount of self discipline to not roll an arrowhead on top of the hump. Figured I would post up a pic of this cracked up 75 plastic fantastic also, that arrived and is in other hands. I think it has a sharp look but not enough sidewall. Never is. I guess that just means "needs moar lows" in millenial speak. Anyhow, business as usual. The vette made me realize that every tech we have is capable of decent fiberglass repairs and that way beats one guy having to always do them.:cool: Painter is fixing it, he is a vette and bike enthusiast.

A first happened yesterday, as I was making my selection from the lunch meat aisle I heard "Nice car!". Huh? Before realizing that was odd, I knee-jerked a "Thanks" out of course. Then hey... I looked, and it was just a smirking dude who looks like he has an old car of some sort and keeps walking. Looked like he did it to see my expression. Oh, I says to myself... washed it. Yep.

Attachments

#22,610 ·
I hope you took advantage of the opportunity to shave in the reflection of that pan before it gets all dirty Pugsy.

I pretty much finalized my snorkels today but have to finish welding them and grind/file them. I just put new media in my sand plast cabinet. I would love to have the air cleaner ready to paint this week.

John

Looks great John.i especially like the bead roll a couple inches from the body.

#22,613 ·
bondo monday, no fun. I did try my friend's Dent fix body line tool and it's awesome. I usually just use a paint stick with a hole in it or a pencil divider but love how well the body line tool works so I ordered one. Also got to use my new orbital long board toy on a door. Worked great! Love that thing! Next week I ad another Milwaukee cordless ratchet. The 3/8" fuel...I can't wait!

Also came home to this. I'm tired of metal shavings on my arms and neck. I got this sleeved cape and it will work great for welding and grinding even in the summer months. I already had the apron and luckily it fit the cape with the buttons exactly in the right place. There's little material on the back but that's perfect for summer and I can remove the apron as well when it's hot. Being protected and not too hot has always been a problem for me in the summer but this will help with that.

Yellow Outerwear Bag Jacket

#22,614 ·
Pugsy your pan work looks nice.:thumbup: So theres no wisecracks for you today. I think I know that your metal working expertise is somehow connected to your occupation, and thats plenty because its none of my business, but I am curious if your mechanical side also has a foundation in a past job or something. Its kinda new to me that hardcore-ish DIY guys are building their own automatics. So like did you have a need one day, score a few tools, go by a printed manual? I do have a spark of interest but inquiring minds just want to know. I learned long ago to keep an eye on dudes that fix any part of their cars. It is a pleasure to see you grab a gear and pull away from working on the castle.:)
Thanks.

I had a shop rebuild a tranny and it died. I had the 350 on the floor so I went and bought a rebuild book. I threw it in the truck and it ran fine.
A few months later, I was looking at that dead tranny on the floor and decided to do that one and throw it in the truck. That worked good also, so I did a few more after that. I sold that first one and the second one was still pulling fine in the truck I just sold.

As for sheet metal work, I started at a restaurant equipment manufacturing shop back in 79. Now I run a shop for a guy doing the same thing. Good thing I don't need to be on my feet all day as I don't thinkI could take it.

#22,615 ·
:D;)

In IDJ snooze, theres that dadgum trans tunnel which was tougher than I anticipated to fit. And looking at the pics I am telling myself to clean up the english wheel rollers. I'll have you all know that it took a certain amount of self discipline to not roll an arrowhead on top of the hump.
It's looking good.

The ewheel will make tracking marks as soon as you don't support the sheet or if you force one side down as your pushing it through.

Did you use the wheel to make it have a compound curve or did you use the wheel to roll it into shape?
To roll/shape metal, use a go kart slick and it works just like a metal roller. You can radius a piece as long as you like this way.

#22,616 ·
Thanks.

I had a shop rebuild a tranny and it died. I had the 350 on the floor so I went and bought a rebuild book. I threw it in the truck and it ran fine.
A few months later, I was looking at that dead tranny on the floor and decided to do that one and throw it in the truck. That worked good also, so I did a few more after that. I sold that first one and the second one was still pulling fine in the truck I just sold.

As for sheet metal work, I started at a restaurant equipment manufacturing shop back in 79. Now I run a shop for a guy doing the same thing. Good thing I don't need to be on my feet all day as I don't thinkI could take it.
All day feet on concrete does hurt. Some days its knees. The GP forum (RIP) had a guy who did about the same with 4T65E-HDs. Even did some to sell after getting into it. Not a bad idea. Except your trans crate might show up covered in My Little Pony decorations, hahaha. He put an LS in an S-10 on the cheap too, and you would dig how it turned out. Wonder where all those GPF folks went. Anyway I considered learning automatics and doing that for a living instead of this. I figure as time goes on, transmissions will still be necessary whatever direction engines take next. I take it the shop that did your croaked trans didn't stand behind it. Sometimes it is just best to become your own expert on these things.

#22,617 ·
bondo monday, no fun. I did try my friend's Dent fix body line tool and it's awesome. I usually just use a paint stick with a hole in it or a pencil divider but love how well the body line tool works so I ordered one. Also got to use my new orbital long board toy on a door. Worked great! Love that thing! Next week I ad another Milwaukee cordless ratchet. The 3/8" fuel...I can't wait!

Also came home to this. I'm tired of metal shavings on my arms and neck. I got this sleeved cape and it will work great for welding and grinding even in the summer months. I already had the apron and luckily it fit the cape with the buttons exactly in the right place. There's little material on the back but that's perfect for summer and I can remove the apron as well when it's hot. Being protected and not too hot has always been a problem for me in the summer but this will help with that.

View attachment 409554
They do get hot wearing them though, they have just the sleeves that you can put on your arms too. I hated wearing the half jackets. but they sure come in handy when welding overhead or when your laying on your back welding the sleeves are especially great for grinding.

#22,618 ·
It's looking good.

The ewheel will make tracking marks as soon as you don't support the sheet or if you force one side down as your pushing it through.

Did you use the wheel to make it have a compound curve or did you use the wheel to roll it into shape?
To roll/shape metal, use a go kart slick and it works just like a metal roller. You can radius a piece as long as you like this way.
Theres a slip roller at the shop but no go kart tires. My work piece went awry right from the start. I did not have a clear mental picture of what I wanted yet, and began to flatten the area by bumping. Wasn't paying enough attention and it got lumpy. Went to the wheel to uniform the area and thats when scrapes started to appear as the wheel skipped over dents. I have learned somewhat, how to tilt or push/pull/ support the work piece but did some of that inadvertently. I just wanted to make a fluent transition from rounded to flat. In my defense, there was a Bronco in the way in the wheel and roller corner. I was dodging it and being in a cramped spot is not how to do your best work. Kept telling myself no one can see this part and kept answering myself with I'm not trying to be fancy. Thanks for the eyes and words. I'll be moving along now, I would sincerely like to show an unexpected amount of progress this week (If the boss is happy...) so am glad I'll not be making trans humps all week.:D

#22,619 ·

Sunday, rainy but mild go out and drop the pan on the 34. Rolling along cleaning the parts, washed out the pan.

Using Felpro gasket pan set, ready to install the front seal ....... Road block, turns out the Felpro timing chain cover gasket is to wide.

The timing chain cover is a Summit cast aluminum product. So back into the house, a quick search, 2 sets ordered. One for now one for the future, should I need it.

I wish to make a small point here, for the Ebay/Amozon car part shoppers. This is a perfect example of why there the need to know your part source. Had the chain cover been purchased from one of those. Care to guess what the chances of getting the correct gasket might have been?
Food for thought when hunting parts .....

Then back out to the garage, with the seals ordered, coffee and a cigar, kicked back in a chair, feet up on the rear wheel.

Ended the project watching the grass grow ....... that happen when it rains don't-cha-know ........... big smile

Greg

Attachments