Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#23,343 ·
Slick was chasing down a real nice set of gaps and body lines on his 71 Chevy project. You can see where I walked a finger down the character line, and I actually felt an edge there. This is just right because theres a round of spot priming with polyester, then more sanding and a couple coats of urethane primer to boot. After all that, the edge will round off and make a crispy fresh line without being too sharp. Yellow was to be the color again but I am hearing other bright colors mentioned now. The Mustang pic is just proof of my day's doings, thats all. Hood is coming right back off for stripes. I must say the shaved engine bay work will look nice.

Attachments

#23,344 ·
I just got back from my own road trip. Took my wife down to Duke hospital for her appointments. When that was done we headed down to Ausleys to check out the door shells for my Chevelle. I ended up buying both doors, and had to unbox them and lay them in the back seat of the civic to get them home. Good thing there was a large piece of bubble wrap in each box...
Dave

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#23,345 ·
I just got back from my own road trip. Took my wife down to Duke hospital for her appointments. When that was done we headed down to Ausleys to check out the door shells for my Chevelle. I ended up buying both doors, and had to unbox them and lay them in the back seat of the civic to get them home. Good thing there was a large piece of bubble wrap in each box..
Dave

Good luck with the doors.

I hope your wife's appointments went well.

John

#23,346 ·
I just got back from my own road trip. Took my wife down to Duke hospital for her appointments. When that was done we headed down to Ausleys to check out the door shells for my Chevelle. I ended up buying both doors, and had to unbox them and lay them in the back seat of the civic to get them home. Good thing there was a large piece of bubble wrap in each box...
Dave

I suggest trial fitting them on the car soon, to determine if you like the fit and want to keep them.

#23,347 ·
Dude... you must have gotten one heck of a driving award...

24 over. They insist on a date with the judge....:rolleyes:..will not even say the fine amount online.

Apparently, I didn't see the limit drop 10 MPH, maybe a lot of trucks, don't know. It drops, because, get this, the Interstate was going thru a city. I guess they have a lot of children playing out there in NC. The cop told me it was 55. I pointed at the 65 sign in front of the car where I stopped, 1/2 mile from where he was staked out....sheesh.

#23,348 ·
Good luck with the doors.

I hope your wife's appointments went well.

John
John, thank you. Doc took a look of the scan before the appointment with him and said that things looked fine. Closer examination and final results in a day or two. She's at year 4 post-op for melanoma.

I suggest trial fitting them on the car soon, to determine if you like the fit and want to keep them.
Trial fit will hopefully be this weekend. Initial comparison to the originals looks good. Body lines look to be a good match. As long as the rear of the door matches the front of the quarters I should be OK. I'll have work to do on the lower front fenders anyway, so I can match them to the doors if needed.

Dave

#23,349 ·
24 over. They insist on a date with the judge....:rolleyes:..will not even say the fine amount online.

Apparently, I didn't see the limit drop 10 MPH, maybe a lot of trucks, don't know. It drops, because, get this, the Interstate was going thru a city. I guess they have a lot of children playing out there in NC. The cop told me it was 55. I pointed at the 65 sign in front of the car where I stopped, 1/2 mile from where he was staked out....sheesh.

Many Interstates go through cities and the smaller ones become speed traps. If you were running Canadian plates I'm surprised that you weren't arrested since you were supposedly clocked at 24mph over.

#23,352 ·

24 Over? Yup, that would definitely do it. Were you rolling through Charlotte on I-85, by any chance? NC, on I-85 just south of the Virginia line is where I have seen the largest concentration of troopers and sheriffs per mile that I have EVER seen. I'm guessing they were trying to get speed traps included in the Olympics or something.

#23,355 ·
This ^^^^ plus handle any hinge issues first. :cool:

Are the new doors any different inside? Like the side intrusion beam. Just curious.
That's the plan. Get them bolted on with no window or latch mechanisms just to get an idea of how they fit. They look pretty good at first glance. The intrusion beam is one of the things I looked for, right after body lines. I'll take and post some pictures of them once I get moving on the fit-up.

Dave

#23,356 ·
Many Interstates go through cities and the smaller ones become speed traps. If you were running Canadian plates I'm surprised that you weren't arrested since you were supposedly clocked at 24mph over.
Yup, when I read 24 over, I thought same thing, in fact, Pugs, I'm surprised you didn't get the ride in a squad and a cell until you could post bail or see a judge. You, actually, got lucky by being let go on your way.
If there were other cars around you, going the same speed, maybe your attorney could mention you feel like you were "profiled" or discriminated against because you had Canadian plates..:confused: that could backfire...:pain:
Every city I've been thru in the Pete has the same speed traps. Chicago is the biggest joke, 45 MPH on the Kennedy thru the downtown area....yeah right. If you try to drive that slow, you may as well put the trans in neutral, because you are going to get pushed at 70.

#23,357 ·
Working the exhaust on the impala this evening. I picked up a thrush glass pack and a section of straight pipe, but they only had one clamp. I had three at home... two 2" and one 2 1/2". No 2 1/4. Sent the daughter back to get another. It is her car, after all, lol.[emoji4] fired it up with open pipe, sounded pretty cool. Not cool enough to drive it that way, but cool enough to wing the throttle a time or two and shut it down before the pipes get hot. Noticed that the right front wheel bearing has play in it now, too. Probably from the swim it took a couple of weeks ago...
Dave

#23,360 ·
24 Over? Yup, that would definitely do it. Were you rolling through Charlotte on I-85, by any chance? NC, on I-85 just south of the Virginia line is where I have seen the largest concentration of troopers and sheriffs per mile that I have EVER seen. I'm guessing they were trying to get speed traps included in the Olympics or something.
I77 thru Statesville.