Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#23,441 ·
I'm getting nothing done on my mess today, but I did get the driver door hinge pins and bushings replaced on my aunts S-10 Blazer. They were really bad. The upper pin had worn completely through the bushing and was wearing into the hinge steel. Oblong hole for one, please! I got them replaced and told her I would try something to see if the oblong hole could be salvaged. I used some Steel Stick epoxy putty to try to fill in behind the bushing. If it works, great. If not, I'll be removing the door completely to do some welding when the bushing fails again. At least she can shut it without lifting and slamming it.

Dave

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#23,443 ·
Dave, where are you at with the rear window/quarter repairs ? Belden speed has introduced window channel patches and part of the sail panel to help with that area.

1968 - 1972 Chevelle Window Rust Patch Panels and Channels - Belden Speed & Engineering - window channel rust patch panels, chevelle, rust repair, patch panels, GM a body repair
I just could not keep my eyes off of those panels... I ended up ordering the two driver side panels from them, and they arrived today. They look good. I will be working these panels in to fix the poor attempt that I made at the lower radius. It turns out that they are in Williamsburg, VA, which is not far from me at all. Thank you for pointing these out to me!

Dave

#23,444 ·
Folks tend to let those go until the door chips paint. Your fix may last awhile, bushing just needs support. Like family do.:)

I am not smart enough to understand what I am looking at Matt. How about a little explaination?

I went down to sand the other side of the cowl today but instead ground welds and rewelded the front body mounts as well as a few other little spots that needed attention.

Also, finished up my friends Corvette stainless.

Oh, and my new windshielt is at the freight depot. The last windshield I had shipped jingled in the box when it arrived.....Not good at al! :(

John

Attachments

#23,446 ·
John, boss man was concerned about not using the front floor pans we bought and epoxied one side of. I needed to fab the current ones in order to line up pan beads more sensibly in relation to the fabbed floor frame. Pans I made are flat anyhow. So this is the bought front floor pans being repurposed. On the '59 Pontiac job.

I had attempted revisions to those pans and had cut them. Just so on purposely happend that I had trimmed them to an appropriate size for this spot. If you recall, I had recently notched my wacky triangulated rear floor frame crossmember for driveshaft clearance insurance and plan to make something like the piece at the flared front of the tunnel, for the rear. So I did this area first and that back end piece for the tunnel will cap it off and flow visually.

The big 16 ga hot roll sheet does stay and will have some sort of pass through and or storage and or component compartments worked in. I have an IDJ style idea that nobody can stop me from doing, for that.:D

Off to the sides of the floor frame ahead of tubs, I am debating whether to just pan across the top of what I have or to create li'l wells (about battery sized, hmm) there that hang down even with the footwells. With tiny cute little beads on em maybe.

The toilet seat looking piece goes over the pan at the rear plug weld flange, and under at the curved sides. Gently tipped with ewheel then bead roller like I like to do lately, then hammer formed over a 15" Pontiac wheel. I figured that choice of overlapping was more tasteful than trying to hammer pan beads flat where they meet the back seat hump. This way they just tuck under the hump flange. This will be a tough area to see even if mirrors, and I am trying to give the interior wizard Oz a sporting chance at a usable back seat. I would want rear seat belts so I may ask if they do.

You asked for it, bub. Thanks and hit em easy. I don't know if anybody caught either of my attempts at word crafting on this thread recently, but I think you might have "got" one. I reach pretty far for a yuk sometimes.

I shall continue on, from the wall back ASAP!

#23,447 · (Edited)
Can't get pics downloaded for some reason. Did get guage panel and gauges mounted.
Also started running wires and plumbing for the gauges.

Highlight of the day was we finally found a 3 series rear axle for the car. We've always been a day late and dollar short when we did hear of one! Today we were lucky to find 1. Best part its only 50 miles from us! :D:D

p.s. its even got 3.73 gears and a posi! Fits the bill perfectly. (its been a 6 year hunt)

#23,448 ·
Can't get pics downloaded for some reason. Did get guage panel and gauges mounted.
Also started running wires and plumbing for the gauges.

Highlight of the day was we finally found a 3 series rear axle for the car. We've always been a day late and dollar short when we did hear of one! Today we were lucky to find 1. Best part its only 50 miles from us! :D:D

p.s. its even got 3.73 gears and a posi! Fits the bill perfectly.
I'll have to show my ignorance again. What is a three series rear axle?

John

#23,452 ·
Got the new rad installed. The first time in my life, I had to "burp" the T stat on a SBC to get the antifreeze into the engine. Lucky, there is a plug on the thermostat housing. One push with the screwdriver and all is good again.

BTW, the new temp gauge works real well....

#23,454 ·
Got the new rad installed. The first time in my life, I had to "burp" the T stat on a SBC to get the antifreeze into the engine. Lucky, there is a plug on the thermostat housing. One push with the screwdriver and all is good again.

BTW, the new temp gauge works real well....
:cool: Cool. Burping suuuucks. Have to do it on 3800s every time.:rolleyes: Do you have any good metaly pics from last week?:mwink:

I am welding up and trimming the Cat back seat pan and plan to install it after lunch. The progress has me a little excited.:)

#23,457 ·
:cool: Cool. Burping suuuucks. Have to do it on 3800s every time.:rolleyes: Do you have any good metaly pics from last week?:mwink:

I am welding up and trimming the Cat back seat pan and plan to install it after lunch. The progress has me a little excited.:)
I have a few pics....just not in the mood lately.

#23,458 ·
Changed the driver's side door lock today.

Found brand new window regulators in there. Why do I have a feeling that something I should be pleased about is about to backfire. One of you guys are gonna tell me how junkie they are and how soon they will fall apart, right?

Crank handles, and door lever appear to be new also.

Attachments

#23,460 ·
Changed the driver's side door lock today.

Found brand new window regulators in there. Why do I have a feeling that something I should be pleased about is about to backfire. One of you guys are gonna tell me how junkie they are and how soon they will fall apart, right?

Crank handles, and door lever appear to be new also.
Not at all,,the first one lasted 45 + years,,:thumbup: