Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#23,463 ·
Do you think someone put screws in the rubber seals to hold them in place in place until glue dried and just never removed them.:confused:
These screws are about 3" up from the door bottoms and come from the outside of the car into the door. They've been mudded and painted over.

#23,465 ·
Changed the driver's side door lock today.

Found brand new window regulators in there. Why do I have a feeling that something I should be pleased about is about to backfire. One of you guys are gonna tell me how junkie they are and how soon they will fall apart, right?

Crank handles, and door lever appear to be new also.
OK, now what's up with these screws?
There is no molding on the door bottom and there is no patch screwed on. Door is quite solid.
At ease, man.:cool: New manual regulators is a nice find in my book. Thats a plus if you ask me. Long as they work nice. My 68 Malibu had a molding down there and we went black below it. Nobody keeps it. Surf around, you'll see. You know the rest of the story. Lets wish that they welded them after cutting them off. Eh? Hang in there hoss. Mood metal below.

Here are the usual huge by large by a dozen angle glory shots of my wildly mediocre task. I'm gaining on it!:)

#23,469 ·
That is a sweet colour...hmmm.....
I thought so. Its a brighter maroon, kinda unique. Like butternut, its a color that really takes you back in time if you are an authentic retro vibe enthusiast. It is a solid, non-metallic color. I think the molding and accent color is sharp, myself.

#23,470 ·
Oh mannnn, I'm ready for some good news! I think the only way you are going to know for sure is to pull the windshield and have it re-sealed. While it is out, you can take whatever action is appropriate.

Fingers crossed........:(

John

I got my trim tool and took off a piece.
It doesn’t appear to be rotten. Maybe it’s bondo and paint?

I’ll take more off tonight. Had to run.

Attachments

#23,471 ·
I got my trim tool and took off a piece.
It doesn’t appear to be rotten. Maybe it’s bondo and paint?

I’ll take more off tonight. Had to run.
From here on the tiny screen that looks like just a liberal application of adhesive, like one might see if the window bed had some pitting.

On the 59 Pontiac job... we had a spare truck bed repair section collecting dust in the shop so I cut it to length and bent the edges down then added 14 ga brackets at the ends to make this axle hump floor section a piece o cake. Two nearly flat panels will close off the horizontal part.

#23,473 ·
Front hub/bearing on the Impala is done. That thing is a gift that keeps on giving... Checked the oil and the part of the handle that fits down in the tube broke off. Yay. Dipstick in the van is too short to swap directly, so I swapped the handles. Always something...

Dave

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#23,474 ·
Today was the end of the line for my teenage Goodyears, rears on the '69. A proper ceremony was had.They were remarkably noble servants. :(

Heres the other two Cat hump pieces. Front and top panels are in place for good, rear one lacks weld prep. The big 16 ga flat piece you saw yesterday slips in between the two 18 ga layers of the pan at the row of weld holes so that will be a sturdy three layers. We put a quarter glass in to check out tub prospects. Need tires. Thats a wrap for this week, taking tomorrow off.:)

#23,476 ·
Another day not working on my truck, too tired, went to three Giants games this week, first time I ever went to a complete series, fun stuff!

But today I did work on a badars show car. A 56 Chevy pickup, and I mean a main arena show car here. It's not often I have to empty my pockets, take off my belt and cover the snap on my Levis with tap so I don't scratch a gas tank of the car I am sliding under! LOL

I had to align the drivers door (cab and doors were lengthened 6") and align the bed, one side was low behind the cab.

But honestly looking under this thing, damn what a build!

Brian

Reactions: Gearhead Poppa
#23,477 ·
Another day not working on my truck, too tired, went to three Giants games this week, first time I ever went to a complete series, fun stuff!

But today I did work on a badars show car. A 56 Chevy pickup, and I mean a main arena show car here. It's not often I have to empty my pockets, take off my belt and cover the snap on my Levis with tap so I don't scratch a gas tank of the car I am sliding under! LOL

I had to align the drivers door (cab and doors were lengthened 6") and align the bed, one side was low behind the cab.

But honestly looking under this thing, damn what a build!

Brian
They take your camera away too, no pics allowed...

#23,480 ·
Brian, I'd bet that mod makes it more pleasant to use. Nice truck. I wish I had a bunch of belts like mine to pass out here, the no scratch kind. But you are way ahead of a lot of guys just being able to fit under that truck. And being able to get back up. That is a fine, tastefully done truck you was wrenching on. Your task didn't sound like much fun but did sound cool.:cool:

The stick always gets action. :)