Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,363 ·
I went out and installed my speaker, wha wha, darn cracking speaker wasn't the problem, it's the radio that's crackling. :( Hope I can fix it, don't plan on putting anything else in there just yet. Though I did run new speaker wire out to the back under the carpet in anticipation. :D

Brian

#2,364 ·
Doing the finishing touches on a Chrysler 300

stripped and wire wheeled drip rails and glass channels after taking out the glass and then worked on the roof a bit. Yeah I know, most of that should have been taken care of at the start but I thought I'd give a bonehead a duty of taking out the glass...simple enough, right. Wrong! The bonehead sat in the office and played while the boss was gone so I said enough and did it myself after most of the bodywork was done already. You don't really mind til you have masked off your mud work cause you know the boogers will fly once that wire wheel comes out. Man, some people are lazy...at least be lazy on your own time like me, not at work!!!

Then I got some good news...My wife passed her PHR test/certificate, My Colin Kaepernick jersey came in the mail, and a customer left me a bottle of Champagne for the trophy he got for our hard work....then I went home and played a joke like I bought the bottle for my wife in celebration of her passing the test-lol Great day!

#2,365 ·
Then I got some good news...My wife passed her PHR test/certificate, My Colin Kaepernick jersey came in the mail, and a customer left me a bottle of Champagne for the trophy he got for our hard work....then I went home and played a joke like I bought the bottle for my wife in celebration of her passing the test-lol Great day!
Now that IS a good day! :thumbup:

Brian

#2,366 ·
I went out and installed my speaker, wha wha, darn cracking speaker wasn't the problem, it's the radio that's crackling. :( Hope I can fix it, don't plan on putting anything else in there just yet. Though I did run new speaker wire out to the back under the carpet in anticipation. :D

Brian
Bummer Brian,

I do have a friend here in Chattanooga who converts original AM radios to AM/FM. If you don't want to give up the original radio that might be the way to go.

John L

#2,367 ·
Doing the finishing touches on a Chrysler 300

stripped and wire wheeled drip rails and glass channels after taking out the glass and then worked on the roof a bit. Yeah I know, most of that should have been taken care of at the start but I thought I'd give a bonehead a duty of taking out the glass...simple enough, right. Wrong! The bonehead sat in the office and played while the boss was gone so I said enough and did it myself after most of the bodywork was done already. You don't really mind til you have masked off your mud work cause you know the boogers will fly once that wire wheel comes out. Man, some people are lazy...at least be lazy on your own time like me, not at work!!!

That is really good news Henry. You will enjoy being retired as much as I do. :thumbup:

#2,368 ·
Bummer Brian,

I do have a friend here in Chattanooga who converts original AM radios to AM/FM. If you don't want to give up the original radio that might be the way to go.

John L
That may be what I do, I just hate the extra radio hanging around but then I could put my fake gauge panel radio holder and wham. :D

Brian

#2,371 ·
Yeah there isn't anything like that without messing with the dash. I would love to have something that looks stock, if for the only reason some jack doesn't bust into the car to steal it. With a convertible it is a good idea not to have anything tempting.

Brian

#2,372 ·
I feel for you pugsy! I've been working on the bath for nearly two weeks, and when it's done I'm moving to the kitchen. Wife said I've put it off long enough! I promised I'd do the remodel when I retired two years ago!

My first attempt at any tile work, and she can't see the imperfections, so it's OK by her. ;)
Not bad for a rookie.:thumbup:

If the wife's happy is all that matters.

#2,374 · (Edited)
weekend work

Well I finally got my new wiper motor installed and both wipers working. Had to move the wiper motor up into the roof wood and ran the drive cable thru 3/8 tubing into the two transmissions. I mounted the switch near the dome light wire and ran the wires down the window post back to the wiring harness. The unit works real smooth. Two speeds and intermittent.
Not as easy as the instructions and video that came with the unit but I'm happy with the way it works. Now I have to buy two wiper blades and arms. sc
Oh I finished just in time for the supper bowl.
I added a couple of pics looking up to the roof wood and the two transmissions over the windows. You can see the copper tubing. sc

Attachments

#2,375 ·
Well I finally got my new wiper motor installed and both wipers working. Had to move the wiper motor up into the roof wood and ran the drive cable thru 3/8 tubing into the two transmissions. I mounted the switch near the dome light wire and ran the wires down the window post back to the wiring harness. The unit works real smooth. Two speeds and intermittent.
Not as easy as the instructions and video that came with the unit but I'm happy with the way it works. Now I have to buy two wiper blades and arms. sc
Oh I finished just in time for the supper bowl.
I added a couple of pics looking up to the roof wood and the two transmissions over the windows. You can see the copper tubing. sc

It fits in there nicely.

I bought the same kit.

#2,376 ·
I'm still slogging along on the house remodel, but I do slip out occasionally to get parts for the '63 Falcon gasser build! Went out yesterday and bought the 454 Chevy that will power the Falcon, and tonight I got a steal on a Super T10 complete with linkage to put behind it!
I'm on a roll, even though I can't turn wrenches until this remodel is done! :)

#2,379 ·
I'm still slogging along on the house remodel, but I do slip out occasionally to get parts for the '63 Falcon gasser build! Went out yesterday and bought the 454 Chevy that will power the Falcon, and tonight I got a steal on a Super T10 complete with linkage to put behind it!
I'm on a roll, even though I can't turn wrenches until this remodel is done! :)
Give us some before and After shots..:thumbup: