Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#24,762 · (Edited)
Went out and got some steel for my flatbed.

10 sticks of 1.75 14 gauge 12 feet long $15 a piece, Horizontal bulkhead(used), vertical bulkheads(used), 11x4'x120 piece of diamond plate(used), 4x8 #9 expanded metal(new) for the floor

Did some math and realized I was 2 sticks short so I went back and got everything to finish the thing completely.

4 more sticks of 1.75 14 gauge 12 feet long, 2 8 foot sections of 1.5 x .120 wall(that will slide inside the 1.75), 4 pieces of Angle for attaching to the frame, 4x8 sheet of #9 cut into 2 9" sections and 2 11" sections. for the uprights and wings

Have 5 days off starting the 4th and will be kicking this out. Weather shows sunny 86-92 every day. I expect the weather will slow me down cutting, fitting, tacking, and welding in a long sleeve shirt.

Around $550 in steel and I need to get some bolts, chop saw blade, and paint. Maybe some welding gas.
For under $700 it will one step closer to saving the camo rusted mess and turning it into what I had in my head when I bought the truck.

#24,763 ·
Did not mean to put the wink thing on this post, can't take it off

The Bananavelle looks like a winner. The hood gaps came out very nice with the new hinges...:thumbup:
Thanks a bunch, pun intended.:D Too bad they didn't mock up bumpers also.:rolleyes:

I was pleased with the overall look once the hood chrome went on and fit nice.

For the record, the EM hinges... have wonderful calibration of the struts. Perfect, IMO. I noticed more play than other billet hinges, when open. Felt more natural, really. I think they do kinda balance out the underhood brightwork while removing an eyesore.

Our hero needs the bumpers on the cowl to complete the deal. On the hood gaps, both are wide at rear now. Shimming the rear of the hood over to balance that got me to the imperfect but happy place. I made the comment about billet hinges that I have played with being off to one side, but bear in mind that my experience is probably all with aftermarket hoods. Meaning hinges may never have been to blame.

I just watched the 455 not leak fuel for "my five minutes", in paved driveway with flashlight. Dry. Wonder what I saw yesterday morning? One return clamp was slightly loose. Oh well, try again. Fire in the hole, I'm taking it out for Saturday night sanity preservation therapy and hoping for no gas smell.:sweat:

#24,764 ·
And yay, no gas smell! Sanity vaguely intact.

I also put in maintainence minutes today, oil change for the GTP. 259K.

One more thing... I been working my way through a book about 50s cars and man, I think a 54 Olds 88 Holiday might be my fantasy sled pick.

#24,766 ·
I spent 5 hours driving to get my seat does that count for working on my truck? My wife went with me as it was my wedding anniversary present. :D

Got it from a guy on a truck forum I visit. Cool dude, he is building a cool truck. Had a great meal there in the nice little town, just a great day.

I got the seat in the cab for the first time and see that I need some serious mods, I knew I would but was hoping I wouldn't. But it's all good, I will section the back of the seat down out of the window view, make foam pads instead of the springs and it will be perfect.

I also got the hole welded into the firewall for the brake pedal and tomorrow will weld the top piece in finishing that.

Brian

Attachments

#24,767 · (Edited)
I've been tinkering with the Z-28 a little. Daughter said that the A/C quit working, and that the low coolant light came on. She and her boyfriend checked the coolant, and topped it off, but the light came back on within a few miles. I was out of town, so she had it towed home to make sure that there was something for me to fix rather than taking a chance on smoking it. No visible leaks, and no milkshake on the dipstick. I was planning on flushing and cleaning the cooling system anyway, so that is in progress now. I'm thinking that the issue is in the cap again, letting coolant go into the recovery tank, but not allowing it to be pulled back to the radiator. Been down that road before... A/C issue seems to have been the result of an EGR code that does not set the SES light for some reason. When I saw that the system actually had plenty of pressure to operate the compressor, I went straight to the laptop scan software. Been down that road before, too...

#24,768 ·
I was referring to the Chevelle but the truck too of course.

Brian
So is 30 years the "rust" anniversary? :D:D
Theres many times when I post a cool thing in the same post as a misfortune and never know which part was liked. Thanks for clarifying. Hope I have gaps the owner digs. Thanx.

I've been tinkering with the Z-28 a little. Daughter said that the A/C quit working, and that the low coolant light came on. She and her boyfriend checked the coolant, and topped it off, but the light came back on within a few miles. I was out of town, so she had it towed home to make sure that there was something for me to fix rather than taking a chance on smoking it. No visible leaks, and no milkshake on the dipstick. I was planning on flushing and cleaning the cooling system anyway, so that is in progress now. I'm thinking that the issue is in the cap again, letting coolant go into the recovery tank, but not allowing it to be pulled back to the radiator. Been down that road before... A/C issue seems to have been the result of an EGR code that does not set the SES light for some reason. When I saw that the system actually had plenty of pressure to operate the compressor, I went straight to the laptop scan software. Been down that road before, too...
I don't recall the year your Z is but on GPs the level sensor has a "freak driver out" feature. One of mine likes to cry wolf to make you look. Sensor is like $70 though so GP-ers unplug. About half the coolant has to be gone before they work.

#24,769 ·
If you know me, you know I had to shoot a reenactment the minute I got home with my new seat. :D And thank you mom in heaven for the first shot in '74.

Brian

Attachments

#24,770 ·
I spent 5 hours driving to get my seat does that count for working on my truck? My wife went with me as it was my wedding anniversary present. :D

Got it from a guy on a truck forum I visit. Cool dude, he is building a cool truck. Had a great meal there in the nice little town, just a great day.

I got the seat in the cab for the first time and see that I need some serious mods, I knew I would but was hoping I wouldn't. But it's all good, I will section the back of the seat down out of the window view, make foam pads instead of the springs and it will be perfect.

I also got the hole welded into the firewall for the brake pedal and tomorrow will weld the top piece in finishing that.

Brian
Everytime i see your truck i wish i would have installed the bigger window in my 53,,i bought a 66 cab just to get the window but i had already spent so much time on the cab i skipped the glass and regret not doing it now,,i took my headrest off but can still see part og the seat ,(see photo ) ,,but i can live with it,,cant wait to see yours in paint,,Good job

i might remove the pedistal that my seat sit on later,,but i need to concetrate on my 55.chevy,

Attachments

#24,771 ·
I don't recall the year your Z is but on GPs the level sensor has a "freak driver out" feature. One of mine likes to cry wolf to make you look. Sensor is like $70 though so GP-ers unplug. About half the coolant has to be gone before they work.

It's a '95 Z-28. I'm hoping that this one is not developing the "driver freak-out" mode, but I am a little gun-shy on this one. I was having a problem with it not pulling coolant out of the recovery tank before, which was causing the coolant level to drop in the radiator. Part of the cooling system is higher than the radiator, so pulling the cap can be a bit messy at times.

#24,773 ·
The cab is looking great! You may want to re-think your rear tire choice, though. Looks a little small, lol! :thumbup:
Not if burnouts are your drive, I am looking for some awesome burnouts!

Brian:thumbup:

#24,774 ·
One of the other things I did yesterday, IT'S ABOUT TIME! Geeez, on my trailer that I went to get the seat yesterday I FINALLY modified the tail gate chain to work properly. The gate was off a later truck and the piece on it that the chain grabs to keep it shut was a little different. The sucker would fall open a little bit every once in a while, it had happened too many times and yesterday I made sure before I put the trailer back out in it's parking place to shorten that link so the damn thing would stay shut!

Brian

Attachments

#24,775 ·
I am in having a beer watching the Giants play after beating my butt out in the heat today. But damn oh damn did I get something done. I welded in the piece on the floor at the brake pedal.
I then got the seat tracks modified lowering the back an inch or so. I got the seat skirts trimmed off, I got the seat frame area lowered. WHOO HOOO! The seat mods are done.

I don't mind telling you, I got a little verklemped when I sat on the seat and slid it back and forth on the tracks! OMG this is the first part working on this truck, that was it, the very first thing to WORK on this project.

Brian

Attachments

#24,780 ·
Life quality is dropping like an anvil. Working on the fourth of July, full day. Also, taking off on birthday tradition is now something to laugh at for asking. Tax return money gone and no way to make enough for mandatory health insurance or mortgage payments rest of this year. Well, I could pay one or the other. Screw this week. Don't even know what I'll work on, but I know good rest isn't possible. Some neighbors are doing the one fireworks blast per hour through the night thing. At least the ones who blanket my Pontiac in bottle rockets moved this year. Posts may be crabby all week and now you know how come, mostly.

Everybody got big holiday plans? Enjoy your time with families and beverages and be careful with the stuffs that go boom.:)