Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,502 ·
60 is pretty low, 55-60 is the absolute bare bones minimum for curing and I would warm them up if I were you. The best one to ask would be Barry, it's his stuff you are using. But I would think about running 180-120 paper over it to open it up and get some heat on it for a number of hours before I sandwiched it in filler.

One of these lights doesn't cost a whole lot and they are awesome to have. I don't have a lot of room and keep the stands out back while the heater units hangs up on the wall out of the way.

Brian

Infratech INFSRU1615 Medium Wave Paint Curing Lamp - 1500 Watt | Paint Curing Systems

That was not the answer I wanted but exactly what I expected. I will do that right now and turn the heat back on for a wile. Everyone says Barry will answer his phone on the weekend but I am NOT going to interrupt his weekend. He deserves his time off just like the rest of us.

John L

#2,503 ·
That was not the answer I wanted but exactly what I expected. I will do that right now and turn the heat back on for a wile. Everyone says Barry will answer his phone on the weekend but I am NOT going to interrupt his weekend. He deserves his time off just like the rest of us.

John L
I agree he deserves a day off too...I've called him on the weekends in an emergency and appoligized for doing so but he always says thats what hes here for,he wont mind but If it were me I 'd say dont rush it and to put some heat on there until tomorrow ,you should be fine by then ....If you stick your fingernail in it does it leave an indentation??? Not a very technical way to check the curing but thats how I know if its ready...I always sand before appling any filler so another way to know if its cured is to DA it with 180 and if it balls up like the old lacquers on your paper ,its not ready...

#2,504 ·
Thanks for the advice Guys. I think I will go ahead and bust it open, run some heat today and take the day off. It has taken me 6 weeks to paint the cowl and sand two doors. What is one more day. :).

I may ride up to my buddy's house. I understand he has the '47 convert back on the frame.

John L

#2,505 ·
I agree - I switched the injectors between a couple of holes and moved the dead cylinder! Number 3 had been SO dead that my temp gun showed temps close to ambient after 10 min run, while numbers 1 & 2 were WAY up there. Switched # 1 & 3 and now #1 is "cold" while 3 is nearly as hot as # 2!

I'm really hoping that the black oil that it is spitting out in fairly large drops may be fuel darkened with soot from the exhaust, and not engine lube oil after all!

We'll see. I'll pull all 3 injectors and get 'em cleaned and serviced (and rebuilt if needed!) and try again to get some (miniscule amount of) power outta this teeny lil puppy! The little feller is less than one liter total and supposed to be 22 hp at 3600, so we'll see.
Glad that I could help. Injectors are a lot easier than tearing the engine down and finding nothing wrong. That black oil spiting out the exhaust is almost 100% for sure fuel darkened by the exhaust. Definitely change the oil before you run it again. With the overfueling there has definitely been some fuel run past the rings into the crankcase. Keep us posted, but I trust all will be well with reman injectors. I suspect a bad nozzle on the bad injector. Allan John Dantes Sr. (adantessr) :D

#2,507 ·
Pictures of Bron's stuff.

I have talked about my buddy Bron several times on hotrodders, so I thought I owed you guys a couple of pictures. Here is picture of his shop truck that he picked up the other week. It is a '72 with 6 cyl PG. Then a '79 El Camino that he did for a customer. (not all back together yet in this photo. Then a couple pics of his '67 Camaro (a work in progress) Then a pic of a job in his shop. He has a two bay work area and a separate paint booth. The Camaro happens to be in the paint booth.

Attachments

#2,508 ·
One day there is going to a 67-69 Camaro in a museum, it will be in a museum because it is the very last first Gen Camaro on earth without a cowl hood. :D

I love those Elcaminos. I have a shop who I work with and I had them do some work to the wife's Minivan once and they gave me their 80ish ElCamino to drive. That sucker was so nice! It is a super low miles car and it just simply drove like new, I hated to give it back.

Brian

#2,511 ·
I had a bunch of honey do stuff, and didn't get out to the garage until late but still got the water pump all installed and filled and ready to go. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can get the carb all straightened out and maybe fire it up again.

Brian

#2,512 ·
One day there is going to a 67-69 Camaro in a museum, it will be in a museum because it is the very last first Gen Camaro on earth without a cowl hood. :D

I love those Elcaminos. I have a shop who I work with and I had them do some work to the wife's Minivan once and they gave me their 80ish ElCamino to drive. That sucker was so nice! It is a super low miles car and it just simply drove like new, I hated to give it back.

Brian
Thanks Brian. I'll have to talk to him about keeping the original hood in case he decides to sell the car someday. Bron loves the cowll hoods and has put one on almost every car or truck that he restored for himself.

Nice looking El Camino there John. The customer had Bron spray in color matched bed liner in his El Camino. Looks surprisingly good. :D

#2,513 ·
Thanks Brian. I'll have to talk to him about keeping the original hood in case he decides to sell the car someday. Bron loves the cowll hoods and has put one on almost every car or truck that he restored for himself.

Nice looking El Camino there John. The customer had Bron spray in color matched bed liner in his El Camino. Looks surprisingly good. :D
A gentleman stopped me on the way home from church and asked if I would sell it. Left me a 500 dollar deposit. It appears he intends to come back :( It is amazing how you want to sell something until you do.

John L

#2,514 ·
Yep, sometimes it is so hard to let them go. :(

Today I went out to work on the Gran Sport but to first take a look around the Rambler, check the oil all that good stuff. But of course you know that turns into more every time.:rolleyes:

First off I figured I would adjust the brakes. Marge doesn't have self adjusting brakes believe it or not. So After driving her every day for a year and a half I figured I should take a look at that. Everything looked good, just tightened the them up a little bit is all she needed.

While I was there I went ahead and vacuumed out the cooling system again thinking maybe there is some air caught in there and that is why she overheats when I turn on the heater. I am pretty sure I opened the heater control valve the last time I did this but I went ahead and did it again and vacuumed it out and it took quite a bit of coolent so maybe there was an air pocket!

While doing the brakes and greasing the suspension I ran into the fact that the idler arm is SHOT. Ok, I had a rebuild kit that I bought a long time ago and figured I would install it, sorry, wrong one, Grrrrrr. Ok, so my brother had a couple of bushings that from the measurements sound like they will work and his wife was up at his house in Grassvalley and will be home tonight with them. But I went ahead and put the worn out one back in so I can get to work tomorrow. I have a spare idler so I will rebuild that one and just swap them.

Anyway, I will be back on the Gran Sport tomorrow.

Brian

#2,515 ·
HOLY COW did that car need the brakes adjusted. It didn't seem bad at all, but it's like my hair turning gray, it happens so gradually you don't see it coming and you aren't freaked out by it. :D This sucker had about three times the pedal it does now, the first time I put my foot on the brakes I just about locked them up.

Brian

#2,516 ·
Marge is a sweetheart. Actually driving something like your Rambler makes complete sense. She will give you cheap transportation, never depreciate and never fail an emissions test. Consider this. I sold my El Camino today for 7800 dollars and bought a 2006 minivan last week for 8000 dollars. In 10 yeas the El Camino would be worth 12000 and the Minivan will be worth 650... If it is even still running. Buying a newer vehicle makes no financial sense.

On the other hand, We just have to have a place for those grand kids. :)

John L

#2,517 ·
Marge is a sweetheart. Actually driving something like your Rambler makes complete sense. She will give you cheap transportation, never depreciate and never fail an emissions test. Consider this. I sold my El Camino today for 7800 dollars and bought a 2006 minivan last week for 8000 dollars. In 10 yeas the El Camino would be worth 12000 and the Minivan will be worth 650... If it is even still running. Buying a newer vehicle makes no financial sense.

John L
Your absolutely right John. But think how "cool" you'll look behind the wheel of your new $8000 "chick magnet!" Hubba Hubba! Probably the only one to out class you would be Brian in his Rambler!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#2,518 ·

John L
Yeah John my wife drives the nice late model mini van and I drive the Rambler, it's perfect, I have the van for those drives out to Sacramento to see my kids and grand baby (another is on the way, this time my daughter, I can't wait!) so to drive the Rambler makes perfect sense for me.

Brian