Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,561 ·
Finished mudding my doors. Got one blocked with 320. Ready to start blocking the other one.

BTW. Sold the Camino. might be time for a new project down the road.

John L
We are so sick, too many projects are the norm for us. ROCK ON John! :thumbup:

Brian

#2,562 · (Edited)
If you can't find pistons you can send one to wiseco and they will duplicate it.
I caught a lucky break! The National Isuzu distributor is right here in town (other side of the city, but within a 2 hour drive in city traffic - about half hour when NOT rush hour) and they have all the bits 'n' pieces I need! :sweat: :D

My shopping list: Piston, wrist pin, rings and rod bearings, plus head gasket & pan gasket.

The old piston came out in a bunch of pieces all held together by the rings! :smash: :mad:

Piston has to be oven-heated to get a wrist pin into it, so the Isuzu place will install it to my current connecting rod, and put the rings on for me. :thumbup: Then I just have to reinstall, with bearings.

Crank looks & feels good, so I'm just gonna give it bit of a polish and see if I can get this lil puppy all back together.

Should have the new piston assembly back by Monday!

#2,564 ·
John ,what would be your 1st choice for new project if you were to build another,??,just came in house doing the same thing .blocked out with 400,i think i might go wiyj single stage on this one sinde it it white,
Interesting you should ask. I love the Roadster but the one thing it is not is a highway car. With the 5 speed it will cruise at 70 all day long but the noise and lack of heat and air makes it a real fair weather mile car.

I have always had good practical cruisers that I could climb in and take on vacation to Daytona if that is what I wanted to do. With that said, I would like to build another mild 50’s custom:

49-51 Ford convertible
49-56 Mercury convertible or hardtop (54 would be perfect)
54 Chevy hardtop or convertible

Of course I would like to find a car in the 2500 dollar range.:p:rolleyes:

Since I like to do the metal work I don't mind a car with some rust but will try to find a complete car that has trim and dash with it. Trying to find a car piece at a time will kill you now days.

John Long

#2,565 ·
Dig the customs and those are some good choices. :thumbup:

Tonight, boring, I know, nothing fabricated nothing created, but I am getting down to the wire with the Gran Sport to start driving it, and the Goodguys is right around the corner!

I got out there and fixed the front park lamp, and the horn, done deal. This weekend I am going to get the gauges back in, I just can't drive it without gauges darn those idiot lights.

I need to get over to my buddies house and see if I can get the transfer seat underway for my buddy to ride in it.

Brian

#2,566 ·
spare time

Well I just had a kick in the head. Just got downsized out of the company I have worked for for the last 5 years. we got bought out last summer by a larger corporate type and after all the promises of increased work we get **** caned this week. Three of us out of 10 in the shop and office are out looking for jobs. I gets harder at my age to find any work especially in the winter in Maine. Oh well I have time to work on my car just no money. :(

#2,567 ·
Well I just had a kick in the head. Just got downsized out of the company I have worked for for the last 5 years. we got bought out last summer by a larger corporate type and after all the promises of increased work we get **** caned this week. Three of us out of 10 in the shop and office are out looking for jobs. I gets harder at my age to find any work especially in the winter in Maine. Oh well I have time to work on my car just no money. :(
sorry man...
at least you'll have unemployment for 99+ weeks

there is sadly more of this coming..

#2,570 ·
Sorry to hear. Best of luck to you.

#2,571 ·
Damn it, sorry to hear about that.:(

Brian

#2,572 ·
Interesting you should ask. I love the Roadster but the one thing it is not is a highway car. With the 5 speed it will cruise at 70 all day long but the noise and lack of heat and air makes it a real fair weather mile car.

I have always had good practical cruisers that I could climb in and take on vacation to Daytona if that is what I wanted to do. With that said, I would like to build another mild 50’s custom:

49-51 Ford convertible
49-56 Mercury convertible or hardtop (54 would be perfect)
54 Chevy hardtop or convertible

Of course I would like to find a car in the 2500 dollar range.:p:rolleyes:

Since I like to do the metal work I don't mind a car with some rust but will try to find a complete car that has trim and dash with it. Trying to find a car piece at a time will kill you now days.

John Long
John I have found a 53 or 54 Ford Victoria HT with front half of roof Glass, I will post pictures

#2,575 ·
work? what's that? I go to work and then it's play time! Ok, getting a tax refund soon and a royalty check for a limited edition skateboard with my name on it. So I'm all jazzed up on deciding what's more important...cluttering the garage further with an english wheel, bead roller, and 4' brake, or.....get the interior and everything needed to finish off my 65 Mustang. Something about not picking up another project between projects rings a bell but it would be nice to start seeing parts being painted and with a good clear. The question on what to spend on reminds me of last year's 49ers QB situation...which good QB to start? It's a great problem!

#2,576 ·
work? what's that? I go to work and then it's play time! Ok, getting a tax refund soon and a royalty check for a limited edition skateboard with my name on it. So I'm all jazzed up on deciding what's more important...cluttering the garage further with an english wheel, bead roller, and 4' brake, or.....get the interior and everything needed to finish off my 65 Mustang. Something about not picking up another project between projects rings a bell but it would be nice to start seeing parts being painted and with a good clear. The question on what to spend on reminds me of last year's 49ers QB situation...which good QB to start? It's a great problem!
You know which one I would go for. Metal forming equipment for sure.:thumbup:

#2,577 ·
You know which one I would go for. Metal forming equipment for sure.:thumbup:
I was thinking a little of both...the interior, seat cushions,door latch...ummmm-I have the list somewhere! That way I can get both and be flat broke again! :D

I will probably hold off on a deep throat shrinker but will keep an eye out on a deal. The thing was, they had a display model with no handle at the HF($85) by my house and if I would have saw the Lazze video on making tanks I would have picked it up right then and there. So after I see the video I RUN to HF and it was sold days prior in an outdoor sale...and outdoor sale I went to get an arbor. Never even went outside in the sale area but thought, "should I go see how much the deep throat is on sale now?", but at the time didn't realize deep throat shrinkers are good for making tanks. Missed out. Had I saw that video just as week earlier I would have been at the sale when it opened.

#2,578 ·
I was thinking a little of both...the interior, seat cushions,door latch...ummmm-I have the list somewhere! That way I can get both and be flat broke again! :D

I will probably hold off on a deep throat shrinker but will keep an eye out on a deal. The thing was, they had a display model with no handle at the HF($85) by my house and if I would have saw the Lazze video on making tanks I would have picked it up right then and there. So after I see the video I RUN to HF and it was sold days prior in an outdoor sale...and outdoor sale I went to get an arbor. Never even went outside in the sale area but thought, "should I go see how much the deep throat is on sale now?", but at the time didn't realize deep throat shrinkers are good for making tanks. Missed out. Had I saw that video just as week earlier I would have been at the sale when it opened.

A "DEEP THROAT SHRINKER" ?????

The mind boggles at the possible interpretations of THAT phrase...:D:D:D