Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#26,381 ·
We picked up the Impy this afternoon. Now I'm going through a rather large pile of service and maintenance receipts from the original owner. Glad to have that. It's on the lift and ready for an oil/filter change, resonator replacement, and brake inspection. The tire that I was questioning is OK for inspection, but is worn more on the outer edges from running a little low on pressure I guess. Stopping by the DMV tomorrow to take care of the paperwork.

#26,382 ·
I got out busting my butt and finished the inside of the passenger fender. I got it sand blasted and treated in Ospho. WHOOO HOOO! I then started stripping the paint off the outside of the drivers fender but that was put on hold when my brother arrived with his HHR that he spun into a guard rail with. All he wanted was to pull it out so he could skulp it with bondo. He lives hours from me so to repair the whole thing isn't possible. But I told him I would go back in time, I jumped into the time machine and went back to the late 80's and used my slide hammer with the most awesome screw puller ever made. If there was a catagory for Snap On precision top of the line highest priced screw puller this baby would be it! Check this out guys, you would put the tip of this thing against the metal and slide the weight on the slide hammer INTO the panel so the screw pokes through the metal! You then screw it it and slide the weight out to pull the dent! LOL OMG this was hilarious I yank and hammered and yanked and hammered to get it close enough to coat it in bondo, done deal.

The cool thing is I got my new aprons, parking brake parts and window mouldings, three problems that have been weighing on me solved! Thanks so much Jay!

Brian
I can't count how many holes I welded up on restorations from those slide hammers. Thank god for wiggle wire and modern technology. You can fix that so cleanly with today's dent pullers.

#26,383 ·
headed in at around 530am and finished off this rail. Leaving the edges of your plug weld slightly above the metal is ICAR recommended. Since solvents aren't allowed I used a prep pad to sand off the stickers. Tried peeling them off when the rail was hot but no luck.

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Subcompact car Family car

This was not your typical hit. Upper support twisted, which can come from hood damage or.... once I got it on the rack to measure and got off the shield I realized the lower radiator support was pushed up, which twisted the upper support and caused the hood damage. This will be a supplement but first we have to ask the customer if he ran something over during the accident. He did say the hood made a rattling noise, which is typical of a hood that's too high for the rubber stops to hold it steady. We'll see tomorrow. If this were a flimsy hood latch brace it would have stopped the energy from reaching the hood but it was stout and stood it's ground. Not even bent. The estimator on this job likes to argue over damage like he's working for the insurance company but my case is solid. :D

Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Engine Car

#26,384 ·
I can't count how many holes I welded up on restorations from those slide hammers. Thank god for wiggle wire and modern technology. You can fix that so cleanly with today's dent pullers.
Of course I could Henry, but I am not at the shop and I didn't have the time. He was fine with what I did.

Brian

#26,385 ·
Tonight Nick's friend dropped off the drivers seat out of the Miata for me to little fiberglass repair on. Seems in broke in the accident! Man is Nick lucky that foot is the only damage to him!

Brian

Attachments

#26,386 ·
Tonight Nick's friend dropped off the drivers seat out of the Miata for me to little fiberglass repair on. Seems in broke in the accident! Man is Nick lucky that foot is the only damage to him!

Brian
Are you repairing the seat because the car is being repaired ? I thought it was totaled ?

How is Nick doing with recovery ? Is he past all the surgeries now ?

#26,387 ·
Are you repairing the seat because the car is being repaired ? I thought it was totaled ?

How is Nick doing with recovery ? Is he past all the surgeries now ?
Oh no, the car is TOTALLED! This seat is what the guy got who helped him with it. He towed it to his house and pulled apart selling things for Nick and this is all he wanted was this seat and then he found that it was broken! So I am going to fix it for him.

Brian

Attachments

#26,388 ·
Oh no, the car is TOTALLED! This seat is what the guy got who helped him with it. He towed it to his house and pulled apart selling things for Nick and this is all he wanted was this seat and then he found that it was broken! So I am going to fix it for him.

Brian

Wow.......

#26,391 ·
Yep, that sounds pretty funky. Can't wait to see the pics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Here you go Dave. The second switch was almost the same as the first one but it had four little bitty ball bearings that made the switch move more easily.

This one was really skunky inside.

Here you can see the pieces. Note the itty bitty ball bearings on the towel.

After cleaning all the contacts, it is back together and ready to install.

Here you can see how the outer jacket attaches to the switch while the cable goes around the turn signal switch pin.

Notice the slot where the switch slides as the column is tilted.

Here the column is tilted the other way and the switch has slid accordingly.

This is the same style column that is in my '36 roadster so I was already familiar with it but the first time I saw one it kind of caught me off guard..

John

#26,393 ·
My '62 Impala has that same style signal switch...yeah, that was a head scratcher when I found it was cable operated...:confused:

Couple cool radiator caps from the collection I saw Saturday.

This is actually just an ornament, since the Franklin's were air cooled. People wanted the front to look like a regular car, so Franklin added a mesh grille and grille shell topper. The propeller spun and was angled to spin going down the road.

Pre mesh grille Franklin.

And then there is this crazy contraption. Anyone ever have, or see one of these ??

#26,400 ·
Blown & FWD.:thumbup::evil:
Must have been an early Pontiac prototype..:cool:

Yeah, for a bunch of muscle car gear heads to be enthralled with this collection of old iron was crazy. I've had the privilege to see some impressive muscle car and drag racing collections, but this was so different and cool to see these old cars...:thumbup:

And the guy wouldn't take a dime of donation...he was just happy that people wanted to see them and appreciate what they are.