The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 14 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Looks like you're feeling better about the car now, or do you still not like it?

Its looking good now.

Nice to get the space back in the garage.
No, I am feeling better. It's like my brother said to me yesterday when he helped me put the hood on. He said if I had found my old Gran Sport (I have had this car for 25 years and had a LOT of fun at the drags and such) after selling it years ago I would be so damn happy to see it. But being it has been cluttering up my garage, shed, camp trailer, back yard, attics in both the house and the garage, I hate it. But damn, getting it back together DOES feel good. I can't wait to give it to my son, he is going to be thrilled. The photo below is at the Fremont Drag strip (RIP).

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DocImage9.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	62342  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
No, I am feeling better. It's like my brother said to me yesterday when he helped me put the hood on. He said if I had found my old Gran Sport (I have had this car for 25 years and had a LOT of fun at the drags and such) after selling it years ago I would be so damn happy to see it. But being it has been cluttering up my garage, shed, camp trailer, back yard, attics in both the house and the garage, I hate it. But damn, getting it back together DOES feel good. I can't wait to give it to my son, he is going to be thrilled. The photo below is at the Fremont Drag strip (RIP).

Brian
Damn Brian,, I guess that means you don't want me to come get it off your hands then HUH?

sure is looking good,, I wish my bonneville was a convert,,,
Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

This is another Classic thread I dont see this one ever ending.....
Old 01-29-2012, 03:32 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Still waiting on my Austin gasser to return from paint, so I started fabbing up brackets for the Comp. wheelie bars.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Well, I got to help my daughter with a school project.
We fabbed up a turbo charged xylophone.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Last photo:

Decided today to go ahead and move the front mount brackets from the outside of the cowl to inside, swapping them side to side. I like the nice clean look I will have on the front now. I decided that I didn't like how the toeboard panel turned out, so I trashed it and made a new one. This one goes up quite a bit higher under the dash at the back of the firewall. I tacked it at the bottom so it wouldn't move on me & I made the rest of the tunnel and front floor bracing since I could tell where it needed to end in the front now. I made the pattern for the front section of transmission cover and cut a piece of sheet and rolled it but that's where I stopped for today. The sheet metal parts that need to be rolled/formed always give me fits so I figured there was no point in starting on them at the end of the day. Sorry to be so longwinded, probably should be putting more of this stuff in my journal. Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT1558.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	62358   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1564.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	62359   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1561.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	62360   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1565.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	62361   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1569.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	62362  

Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKruzer
Decided today to go ahead and move the front mount brackets from the outside of the cowl to inside, swapping them side to side. I like the nice clean look I will have on the front now. I decided that I didn't like how the toeboard panel turned out, so I trashed it and made a new one. This one goes up quite a bit higher under the dash at the back of the firewall. I tacked it at the bottom so it wouldn't move on me & I made the rest of the tunnel and front floor bracing since I could tell where it needed to end in the front now. I made the pattern for the front section of transmission cover and cut a piece of sheet and rolled it but that's where I stopped for today. The sheet metal parts that need to be rolled/formed always give me fits so I figured there was no point in starting on them at the end of the day. Sorry to be so longwinded, probably should be putting more of this stuff in my journal. Bob
looks good

as far as the "I should be putting it in my journal" stuff goes
thats what cut and paste are for

as for what I did today.....
nothin not even 5minutes worth
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

I managed to put the door handle n window crank on the drivers side door of the 67 Camaro...not easy to get those clips in there,even with the tool its not easy.
I bought an antenna to put on it but didnt really wanna drill any holes in the body,so I fabricated a bracket n hid the antenna under the aluminum package tray i had made.
works good
Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Well, I got to help my daughter with a school project.
We fabbed up a turbo charged xylophone.
LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

I started out today by painting the brackets and battery box I sand blasted and primed yesterday, and that is as far as I got on the car. Other than digging out a few parts, the top mainly. I will be starting on the top right after I get the dash put together. I actually have two top assemblies but decided to use the one out of the car KNOWING that it works. I was thinking of using the other so I could paint it and then have the old top to tear down and compare as I put the new top on. But decided to take lots of pictures as I tear down instead.

So, I have the shed spread all over the back lawn to get to this convertible top that was buried all the in the back bottom of the shed. It's a pretty big project and I am whooped from what I did yesterday all ready. My wife comes out and reminds me that the family truckster needs brakes and she is going on a trip that is about 125 miles from here on Wednesday taking my daughter and a number of my daughters classmates to a science camp. Sooooooo I had to get the shed packed back up and THEN get to the brake job! finished up about 6:30 and I am WHOOOPED.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF9482.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	877.3 KB
ID:	62394  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 PM

Busy week-end

Friday I loaded up an early 50s Chev PU frame I traded for and hauled it 300 miles to Portland on saturday. My buddie started a project with his 13 year old son and needed another frame. Spent the rest of Sat with my son and grandsons. Got up early Sunday and drove down to Philomath and purchased a 1967 Pontiac 400/400 motor and trans. Plans are to plant it in my 49 Chev coupe. Back to Portland to pick-up the wife and 300 miles home tonight. I'm getting too old to be driving 800 + miles in a week-end. Home sweet Home. Ter409
Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ter 409
Friday I loaded up an early 50s Chev PU frame I traded for and hauled it 300 miles to Portland on saturday. My buddie started a project with his 13 year old son and needed another frame. Spent the rest of Sat with my son and grandsons. Got up early Sunday and drove down to Philomath and purchased a 1967 Pontiac 400/400 motor and trans. Plans are to plant it in my 49 Chev coupe. Back to Portland to pick-up the wife and 300 miles home tonight. I'm getting too old to be driving 800 + miles in a week-end. Home sweet Home. Ter409
Oh yeah, I drove up to Medford OR from here in the lower SF bay area once and BACK home in the same day, man that kicked my butt for a week.

Brian
Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Fun one from this week:

Audi TT fwd w/ an aftermarket turbo kit came in for a busted motor mount. Got the car on the lift and realize motor mounts not busted, but had lost a bolt and broke the other. Replaced the bolts. Easy peasy.

Notice one of the coolant lines to the turbo is rubbing on the CV shaft, go tie it out of the way and it breaks off at the crimp fitting and i take a blast of 200*+ coolant to the face.

Go to pull the banjo fitting off the turbo and notice one of the exhaust housing bolts is backed out against it. Spend forever retightening it.

Get the Banjo fitting off, cut off the crimp section, trim back the cooked coolant line and reattach everything w/ hose clamps.

Notice that the compressor side / center section is still loose. Its missing another bolt and 2 more are also backed out.

Try to tighten them, realize that the turbo is more then just loose, its got a massive amount of clearance between the center section and the exhaust housing, like someone put the wrong exhaust housing on the turbo.

Turbo is destroyed because the exhaust wheel has been knocked against the housing millions of times. Coolant lines need to be redesigned. Intercooler piping is made from hacked together steel tubing. Silicone couplers for the aftermarket kit have been hacked to oblivion. Oil supply and return lines are questionable. Intercooler / intercooler mounts are also probably in need of additional work.

I want to punch the company that made the kit, and I want to punch the people that installed it / built the intercooler piping.

Customer was expecting a $250 repair, the bolts made it a $30 repair, but the turbo stuff will add at least $1000 back onto that.

Oh, and my coworker picked it up from the customers house, and while driving down the highway someone whipped change at the car and shattered the wind screen behind the seats. (he had the top down because he follows my "having the top up on a convert is NOT COOL" mindset)

Amazingly, dude was totally cool about it all. Hes going to check if he has glass coverage and save up till he can do the turbo stuff.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

That sounds like one of those days where you are happy SOMETHING was accomplished (like finding out everything you need to fix) but it is hard to talk yourself into that.

Brian
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Finished the restoration of the Dodge gas tank. Had it boiled out for 3 days (48 years of rust and varnish) then coated it with liner. Added a new pickup and sending unit along with a new grommet for the filler tube. Installed it today so now I can concentrate on getting this thing running so I can move it around easier during our move to Texas.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.