Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#2,801 ·
It isn't that the parts guy is a dummy or something, they can only work with what we give them. So the more you learn the better.

Brian[/QUOTE]

Yup The guys at the local Advance auto parts are no help at all on bulbs or whatever oddball part I need for my T-bucket. If it's for anything other than for the trans or engine, (which I know what they are out of) I go to the local NAPA . The guys there will spend a half hour looking up a two dollar light bulb to go in my front directional. Even had to make a phone call. Great bunch of guys down there. I walk in the door and say: "I need another part for the hot rod ." and they are happy to help, and even thank me for coming in. :D

#2,802 ·
It isn't that the parts guy is a dummy or something, they can only work with what we give them. So the more you learn the better.

Brian

Yup The guys at the local Advance auto parts are no help at all on bulbs or whatever oddball part I need for my T-bucket. If it's for anything other than for the trans or engine, (which I know what they are out of) I go to the local NAPA . The guys there will spend a half hour looking up a two dollar light bulb to go in my front directional. Even had to make a phone call. Great bunch of guys down there. I walk in the door and say: "I need another part for the hot rod ." and they are happy to help, and even thank me for coming in. :D[/QUOTE]

The parts store I go to is pretty much like that. They WILL make it happen.

Brian

#2,803 ·
getting a gallon of 3m platinum filler with my Mustang decklid in my trunk and am heading to work. I recall when I got hired at the place I work at now my body work was already sharp but like a lot of other techs out there those stinkin hoods and decklids always required more time and were troublesome. I have learned so much in just a year and have made it a point to overcome that issue. Now I can take a decklid/hood and have it show ready in two primer applications with none of the common ripples you see in them Thing is, I did the metal and mud work on the hood and decklid of my Mustang before I learned all this and unfortunately what I learned is that this new approach has to start from scratch....uuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhh. So I will have to strip it and deal with MY OWN mistakes re work the metal. I have a feeling the decklid is beyond saving but will give it a quick shot. I know there's a decklid on CL for $35 so I'll go get that and bring it back to work. The greatest part about it will be that I got my foot in the door to do work at the shop and my decklid, filler, sand paper, and primer will be at the shop, which means I'm barging thru! My boss is cool for that. He even offered materials but I'm not the type to take him up on it. He even lined up side work for me to do in his own shop! That's pretty cool of him.

#2,804 ·
so I get the hood to work and want to make sure before stripping it so I got out my mud hog and went to town on it. I then realized a skim coat of filler will do. At that point I already had a gallon of Upol gold bondo cause it was $15 less than 3M filler...what a nightmare. I topcoated it with my bondo and it was horrible. I knew it would need a top coat of good filler after so I hogged it and blocked it down and by that time my boss was there and told me to use the good stuff so I got to top coat it with the 3M. As it was curing I felt confident it was ready for prime so went home and got my primer. Amazingly, a year old gallon of primer needed hardly any mixing thanks to the fact that when it was brand new sitting in my office I'd turn it upside/right side up every month or so. So I'm pretty excited it's finally how I want it. It wasn't the metal work at all, it was the fact that I get discouraged to do work in my own garage. I don't really want to bring that crap into my house with my baby coupled with the fact I can't run an air hog on my small compressor and cheap filler that sands like crap. Seems like once I put it down on a stand in the SHOP the beast came out and tore that thing up. So now the decklid stays there and sometime next week I'll stay after work and block it and re-prime. Then I'll take it home for final sanding and bring in the hood and/or some small parts to paint.

Great start of the day. Now it's time to play basketball!

#2,805 ·
so I get the hood to work and want to make sure before stripping it so I got out my mud hog and went to town on it. I then realized a skim coat of filler will do. At that point I already had a gallon of Upol gold bondo cause it was $15 less than 3M filler...what a nightmare. I topcoated it with my bondo and it was horrible. I knew it would need a top coat of good filler after so I hogged it and blocked it down and by that time my boss was there and told me to use the good stuff so I got to top coat it with the 3M. As it was curing I felt confident it was ready for prime so went home and got my primer. Amazingly, a year old gallon of primer needed hardly any mixing thanks to the fact that when it was brand new sitting in my office I'd turn it upside/right side up every month or so. So I'm pretty excited it's finally how I want it. It wasn't the metal work at all, it was the fact that I get discouraged to do work in my own garage. I don't really want to bring that crap into my house with my baby coupled with the fact I can't run an air hog on my small compressor and cheap filler that sands like crap. Seems like once I put it down on a stand in the SHOP the beast came out and tore that thing up. So now the decklid stays there and sometime next week I'll stay after work and block it and re-prime. Then I'll take it home for final sanding and bring in the hood and/or some small parts to paint.

Great start of the day. Now it's time to play basketball!
I don't know...... :rolleyes:

So many guys talk about doing this or that, but how can we be sure without pics......:mwink::mwink::mwink::mwink::mwink:

As for me, I did nothing today except paint a door. (a bathroom door, :spank:)

#2,806 ·
I just spent the day at the Roadster Show with friends looking at cars and talking. I did get interviewed by the local newspaper (The Oregonian) about my car in the show. They took pictures and spent 15 minutes writing notes to do a special interest story on the Austin gasser.
Guy was really not a car guy, so I hope he got things right! He couldn't seem to wrap his brain around a "mouse motor"! ;)

#2,807 ·
:D
I just spent the day at the Roadster Show with friends looking at cars and talking. I did get interviewed by the local newspaper (The Oregonian) about my car in the show. They took pictures and spent 15 minutes writing notes to do a special interest story on the Austin gasser.
Guy was really not a car guy, so I hope he got things right! He couldn't seem to wrap his brain around a "mouse motor"! ;)
Went to parts store Auto Zone picked up some parts for my truck,started to install alternator Belt was 5 in to long alternator bolt Special order stainless was i-1/2 in to short power sterring hose wrong threads . i got a bulb for my unilite distrubitor didnt even open it,just quit and went to local show ,thought you might like these,:D sorry about glare sun was a killer today.

Attachments

#2,809 ·
You Guys are hurting me. Went by the first Cruise in for the summer in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga but just wasn't the same with my car in the basement lacking doors. I guess I need to get to work, Huh?

John L
John i started to call you today .thought you might want to go ,my wife had to work today so i went alone,they were approx 350 cars there ,,all different types it was in Canton Ga 1st show of the year..Next door to O,charlies and Red Lobster.,LOL:rolleyes::rolleyes:

#2,810 ·
John i started to call you today .thought you might want to go ,my wife had to work today so i went alone,they were approx 350 cars there ,,all different types it was in Canton Ga 1st show of the year..Next door to O,charlies and Red Lobster.,LOL:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I appreciate you thinking of me. My wife and I road down to Cloudlands State Park and had some really great BBQ at Thatchers BBQ in Trenton. Swung by the cruise on the way home just to say high to the gang.

Is the show in Canton weekly, monthly, or an annual event?

John

#2,814 ·
You Guys are hurting me. Went by the first Cruise in for the summer in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga but just wasn't the same with my car in the basement lacking doors. I guess I need to get to work, Huh?

John L

I told you it's ok to drive it without doors John. :evil:

Brian

#2,815 ·
All right I'm not a bodyman. What is a "mud hog" and what's a "air hog"? Darn kids with their fancy names!

BB :mad::mad:
A National Detroit 900 is the most popular "hog", it's an 8" orbital sander and is THE "bondo" tool in my tool box, I have two of them actually, it is that valuable a tool.

Brian

#2,816 ·
John,its monthly but they annonced today a show next week i think that is paying $5000 it will be in Marrieta at i75 and hwy 92 ,i will get details and let you know:D wonder who might like this,
Hey I know that that car is! :mwink: I wish mine was a hard top actually, I could drive it every day.

Brian