The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 146 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,203 Posts
I am getting excited about the roadster. I finished sanding the urethane spot putty tonight. Ordered Epoxy primer from Barry at SPI and looking forward to getting my cowl ready to paint. Next I have to get my doors ready.

John L

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Got the 56 finished and delivered today. Another happy customer . I'll get some pictures up when I get home. Happy wrenching everyone.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Well we delivered the 56 yesterday, the guy that owns it called me today........turns out he also has a 55 that he wants fixed now. So we went a picked up a 68 Camaro SS that I had lined up already and got the 55 while we were on the road. Pretty good day expecting one job and brought home two. And a neighbor to the Camaro owner has a 55 he wants us to start as soon as possible. I'm a happy camper. I will try to get pics up now and then to keep ya'll up to date. That is if I can remember what I'm working on lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

My first car I ever drove (legally) was a 57 chevy I had that car for over 20yrs so needless to say ,I have a soft spot for them .Thats the car I regret selling the most of all..
quite a few yrs ago I worked at a shop restoring nothing but 55-57 chevy's all were frame offs and needed everything but new roofs..I love working on those To me the 57 belair HT is the most perfect car ever designed ,the 55 HT runs a tight second...I would love to get my hands on another one,either one....
Today the plan is to get to the salvage yard with my 18v sawzall and get my camaro rocker...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
My first car I ever drove (legally) was a 57 chevy I had that car for over 20yrs so needless to say ,I have a soft spot for them .Thats the car I regret selling the most of all..
quite a few yrs ago I worked at a shop restoring nothing but 55-57 chevy's all were frame offs and needed everything but new roofs..I love working on those To me the 57 belair HT is the most perfect car ever designed ,the 55 HT runs a tight second...I would love to get my hands on another one,either one....
Today the plan is to get to the salvage yard with my 18v sawzall and get my camaro rocker...
I will agree with you about the '57 B/A. H.T. It always fascinated me that nobody modifies the body, grill, trim or lights on these! What could you do to make it better? NOTHING! :-)

P.S. I had a turquoise one just out of high school. I never got to paint it... but recently did one for a customer in the same color. It satisfied that old itch. :-)

Right now I'm getting a '34 Chevy delivery street rod ready for primer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	70304  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,270 Times in 1,112 Posts
I hear you Jay, there have been a few, very few successful 57 customs but really, they are best left alone.

Brian
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I hear you Jay, there have been a few, very few successful 57 customs but really, they are best left alone.

Brian
I will confess that my '57 had no grill or front bumper when I bought it. (for $75!) I flipped a second set of top grill trim upside down... mounted it below the grill opening... made some side "rolled pan" filler pieces, and then a black expanded aluminum mesh grill.

Did it look better??? Not really :-( ... but that satisfied my need to be "unique". LOL!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

This is one that will make you cry. This is an old friends of mine. He bought it when he was 16. Back five years ago he lost everything, his home (makes me sick) because he has some "Issues" (the least of which he is 3 foot 9 inches tall). He didn't contact me until it was too late being proud as he is. By the time he did he was a week away from loosing this car! It was in a storage unit and a week away from them changing the lock and making it theirs. I went and paid the storage up but we had to clear out the unit of all this stuff that he wasn't going to use again. His whole house was in that unit! It took me weeks to empty the thing out to a little 8x12 unit that he could afford. Part of what I sold off was his beloved 57. It broke my heart selling that car, seeing it go for him was like seeing a sibling he loved go.
I thought about buying it from him because it was SOOOO nice, but there is no way I could do that to him, he was so distraught I couldn't let him see it ever again, it had to LEAVE and hopefully a long way away. He refuses to go to any rod events and I am sure it is because he doesn't want to see ANY 57's and most certainly wouldn't want to run into his!

It had no motor or trans in it and the most I could get for it was $15K. I wish I had stuck a cheap motor and trans in it but I just didn't have the time, this man was a full time job for quite a while selling off his stuff on ebay (lots of seriously collectible stuff, how about a MINT 60's vintage Höfner "violin bass" like Sir Paul McCartney's! Anyway, I just couldn't do it and he lost out on a bunch more money. But those are the ways of life.

Anyway, this thing was NICE, we are talking ZERO rust with body bolts still with zinc on them, it was a treasure.

Brian
Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i feel for the guy. got to ask why his legs are so short tho. my avatar is for sale and hasn't got much interest in the 16K i wanted. dropped to 13K still nothing. i have been offered 10K when it was on ebay.

i splurged and FINALLY GOT MY HEADS BACK from the machine shop for my 67 lemans. I will still never get my money out of it. Just money down the drain, but at least the motor is all back... still haven't put the heads on. wondering about my springs, but that's another story. i am broke as hell still. things are going to start getting turned off

btw, a friend on mine sold his, same shape, except with running original motor to a friend down the street for 10K, so you did a great job on the price, don't feel bad. the only bad thing about my friends was that mice had moved into the interior. it was the original color as well and always garaged. cars are cheap now, in case you didn't notice, hahaha.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
i feel for the guy. got to ask why his legs are so short tho.
He was born that way, he was what was called a "Thalidomide baby". Thalidomide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many who were effected by thalidomide this way. If you google image "Thalidomide baby" you will see what I mean.

Brian
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
my avatar is for sale and hasn't got much interest in the 16K i wanted. dropped to 13K still nothing. i have been offered 10K when it was on ebay.
How did you put it on Ebay? Did you start too high? I have found that with big ticket items on ebay it is best to start with a very low opening bid to get the ball rolling, then have a "reserve" at the number that is the lowest you will go. I will often even tell what the reserve is and explain that is what I would like to get but will consider less. Let the ball get rolling among those interested. I have seen where people put a big ticket item on there and start the bidding or put a buy it now at that high number, never getting a bite. But you could start it at $1000 with a $16k reserve and it goes up to $15k, if you didn't start it so low you would never know someone was willing to pay the $15k.

Brian
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,203 Posts
Well, I have my cowl ready to spot prime. I ordered some Epoxy from Barry and was surprised to get it next day by UPS ground. We have had the grandkids this past week so the time in the shop has been pretty limited.

John L

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Looking good, ready to rock.

Brian
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Started putting the new trans am fenders and bumper on my 78 yesterday, contemplating whether or not to go out there and finish it. Got the right side on with a few bolts and haven't touched the drivers side yet. It's just too damn hot outside for me to want to be out there. I'll get pics when I'm done today or tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

Puttered around with my '83 rustmobile rear brakes and got the windshield rubber for my '53 R130 just gotta wait 'til I get the $$ together to pick up the windshield.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.