Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#281 ·
beertracker said:
I finished up replacing a leaky O-ring in my LeMans TH350 trans. It's nice to no longer have trans fluid leaking on my garage floor. :)

Still working on the brake light\turn signal bezel repair.

BT
This is one of the things that got me so discouraged with my Gran Sport. The last thing I had done on the car was pulling the engine and trans to have the transmission rebuilt. I put it back in and filled the trans with fluid and the next day there was a big puddle under the car! That is when I literally gave up, I was so ticked I couldn't see straight. The other day when talking to by brother he convinced me to just get the car done and tow it up to his place and he would take care of it. I just floors me that I can't fire this engine up and take for a drive. But I will keep bolting on parts.

Brian

#283 ·
Got my block clearenced for the rod bolts.
Still irritated eagle doesn't give you clue that these rods could have clearance issues even with a stock stroke.
After solving that problem, I found the rod bearings won't clear the large radius in the rod journals.
Now I have to clearance the bearings too.
Oh well,
It looks pretty though.

Have a great day guys.

Ed

#285 ·
Cut, split & stacked a cord of wood for next winter. Next door neighbor took down 10 Douglas Firs in his back yard, and I have been converting them from 150 foot lengths into 18 inch lengths, running them through my home-built log splitter and getting them under cover. Until both my chainsaws crapped out! :smash:

I'm guessing that there are at least 10 cords of wood there, but there will now be a brief delay on THAT project......

#286 ·
adantessr said:
Laid out cone shapes in graphics class in high school about 43 years ago. :rolleyes: Good luck. :sweat:
Thanks adantessr, sometimes I'm just too close to it to think about this stuff! Your pic sent me in the right direction. Today I finally finished the tunnel sections. I did three different cone shapes and although I had to "modify" the curvature of the smaller to get a smooth transition, I think they will be OK. Spent about the last two hrs just cleaning and getting some room so I can roll around under this thing doing the brake, fuel and tranny lines this next week. At least I now have all the floor panels ready to go it when I'm done with the mechanicals. Thanks to all for the help & support on th floor pan stuff. :thumbup: Bob

Attachments

#287 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Thanks adantessr, sometimes I'm just too close to it to think about this stuff! Your pic sent me in the right direction. Today I finally finished the tunnel sections. I did three different cone shapes and although I had to "modify" the curvature of the smaller to get a smooth transition, I think they will be OK. Spent about the last two hrs just cleaning and getting some room so I can roll around under this thing doing the brake, fuel and tranny lines this next week. At least I now have all the floor panels ready to go it when I'm done with the mechanicals. Thanks to all for the help & support on th floor pan stuff. :thumbup: Bob

Looks good. I will need to mine similar to yours to retain as much interior space as possible.

#289 ·
StreetKruzer said:
when I get to my floor this will be good inspiration :thumbup:

#292 ·
Looking good Kruzer!! Making good progress, even if you are a bit "picky" about the fitting of everything!! I know where I got it from :D Glad they found something to work on the rear. As far as what I did today, researched new door seals and window felts for the 51. Man, keeping the weather out is expensive!!!

#293 ·
actually you guys are starting to get ME inspired again I went and uncoverd the 48 today ....looked at it for the required 5 min. and coverd it back up... :(
I got the roof of the high top van painted today,tomorrow I'll paint the rest...but I'm making a plan of action for finishing all the loose ends on the 48..while I'm at it...

#294 ·
deadbodyman said:
actually you guys are starting to get ME inspired again I went and uncoverd the 48 today ....looked at it for the required 5 min. and coverd it back up... :(
I got the roof of the high top van painted today,tomorrow I'll paint the rest...but I'm making a plan of action for finishing all the loose ends on the 48..while I'm at it...
Go spend another 5 minutes looking at it tomorrow and before you know it .....

#295 ·
After a pretty good weekend of accomplishing something meaningful on the car, tonight all I did was lay under it and measure and plan. Brake, fuel & trans cooler lines are next! Didn't bother me that I didn't really DO anything, I got some measurements and an idea or three for routing the lines. Then got inspired and checked out the possibility of low mounting the alt (see new thread)! Deadbodyman, just keep going out there and checking it out. Something will click and you'll pick up a tool and "off to the races" again. Bob :thumbup:

#297 ·
Its been a while since I rebuilt an AFB. Forgot how simple they are. This one is going on the Polara in place of the identical one that I just took off. Gee.... a matching pair of AFB's. Bet they'll fit perfectly on a 440 with a Max Wedge cross ram. Let me make a note of that.....

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!" - Anonymous

#298 ·
matts37chev said:
does that really count?
because i have been feeling bad :(
because I havent done anything the last couple of days :(
hold on while I step out into the garage for 5 :thumbup:
well,yes and no.It takes a lot of thinking and building in your head and after you've figured everything out and do the work you run into something unexpected down the road,like this...The last thing I did was widen the rear fender 2" Now the two tail lights dont look quite right to me I think I need three which involves going back and cutting welding but the fender seem where the welting would go is right there and will have to be moved about 1" into the fender...since I decided I wanted to weld the rear fenders on so they're seamless it shouldnt be THAT big of a deal but cutting into something and reworking something you already did that took a long time is a little tough...it would have been fine if I didnt have to widen the fenders...so anyways ,there you go, I'm going backwards
for now but when I get this part done it should be a leap forward...

#299 ·
Centerline said:
Its been a while since I rebuilt an AFB. Forgot how simple they are. This one is going on the Polara in place of the identical one that I just took off. Gee.... a matching pair of AFB's. Bet they'll fit perfectly on a 440 with a Max Wedge cross ram. Let me make a note of that.....

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!" - Anonymous

Then too if you want/need to make jet or rod changes, Edelbrock Performer pieces work nicely and are very available inexpensively.

What did I work on yesterday ???? ........... updating a bathroom with new sink, tile counter top and back splash, and fresh paint while waiting for parts so can get my truck rolling again

#300 ·
deadbodyman said:
well,yes and no.It takes a lot of thinking and building in your head and after you've figured everything out and do the work you run into something unexpected down the road,like this...The last thing I did was widen the rear fender 2" Now the two tail lights dont look quite right to me I think I need three which involves going back and cutting welding but the fender seem where the welting would go is right there and will have to be moved about 1" into the fender...since I decided I wanted to weld the rear fenders on so they're seamless it shouldnt be THAT big of a deal but cutting into something and reworking something you already did that took a long time is a little tough...it would have been fine if I didnt have to widen the fenders...so anyways ,there you go, I'm going backwards
for now but when I get this part done it should be a leap forward...
I was kinda teasing
but, I do built and work most things out in my head, long before i do them :thumbup:
so then I have probably spent 10-12 hrs the last 3 days working on/thinking about my car :thumbup:
nothing else to do when you are stuck in a truck for all day :rolleyes: