Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#3,021 ·
That is a hell of a project, replacing all that stuff with repro, you have my respect that is for sure!

Brian
Thanks, Brian....:)
The shop where it's at does major collision repair and I got to use one of the frame racks to set it up straight and square. Made a big differnce on getting it all together right. It was still a huge learning experience with lots of tram measuring and slicing/dicing of the panels to get them to fit. I gained confidence too that I put to use on my own '67 GTO basket case...:D

#3,024 ·
what headers are those?? looking at alternatives for laker type on my Coupe, those fenderwheel style are something possibly (except for a small block)......
You might want to look at the Patriot fenderwells for SBC. They're listed as "fat fendered Chevy", but will fit many applications. I'm using them on my Austin gasser. Here's an old picture:

Under $250 at Summit or Speedway.

#3,025 ·
Got my engine mounts welded in yesterday, and built the trans crossmember. Replaced the floor supports after having to cut the tunnel out for the T10 4 speed. So the engine and trans are sitting in the Falcon on mounts now.
Started installing 1" box tubing to support the new tunnel and setback firewall later. Wont put sheetmetal in until I figure out my clutch linkage, or hydraulics if I go that route.

#3,029 ·
Today it really dawned on me that the torch is being passed to me so to speak. Seems like I am now the main body guy for our restorations. The last few I've been working on were driver restos but a top dollar show car we're working on needs a quarter and someone requested that I do it. Pretty happy about that. This means I'm going to be extra nice to the Guru cause without him there's no me so without directly saying it I will make sure he knows that he's appreciated and he's still a better tech than me.

Anyhow, gnawed off part of a quarter for a 55 Chevy and it's a hassle but I know once it's all cut out than I have some spot welds and easy clean up. The fun part will be making everything fit and I already see the upper rear body panel needs a slice cut into the rear corners and set back...on both sides!

So now I guess I'm gonna have to invest in more tools to bring to the table and for this job I'm thinking a leading kit(lead free!) Any ideas where I can get this stuff for cheap? I haven't done much lead at all.

#3,030 ·
Today it really dawned on me that the torch is being passed to me so to speak. Seems like I am now the main body guy for our restorations. The last few I've been working on were driver restos but a top dollar show car we're working on needs a quarter and someone requested that I do it. Pretty happy about that. This means I'm going to be extra nice to the Guru cause without him there's no me so without directly saying it I will make sure he knows that he's appreciated and he's still a better tech than me.

Anyhow, gnawed off part of a quarter for a 55 Chevy and it's a hassle but I know once it's all cut out than I have some spot welds and easy clean up. The fun part will be making everything fit and I already see the upper rear body panel needs a slice cut into the rear corners and set back...on both sides!

So now I guess I'm gonna have to invest in more tools to bring to the table and for this job I'm thinking a leading kit(lead free!) Any ideas where I can get this stuff for cheap? I haven't done much lead at all.
Henry, I am not a professional and don't pretend to have all the answers but are you sure you want to use lead? Every time I melt lead out of a car I find rust under it. Very frequently the paint also fails over lead (probably because of improper cleaning of the acid.) Lead obviously won't shrink but it definitely has it's own issues. I think I will leave it to Bill Hines and try to do my metal work well enough that I can keep the plastic to a minimum.

#3,032 ·
Had a late start today, as I had to run papers out to get the taxes done, but at least I got to drive the hotrod to the tax man!
When I got home I started welding up the framework for the trans tunnel and firewall setback. Then did the inset for the firewall, and test fitted tunnel ram and carbs. Need to figure out which way I'm going on the cluth first; either mechanical or hydraulic.

#3,033 ·

Good job!!! Congratulations!

#3,034 ·
Henry, I am not a professional and don't pretend to have all the answers but are you sure you want to use lead? Every time I melt lead out of a car I find rust under it. Very frequently the paint also fails over lead (probably because of improper cleaning of the acid.) Lead obviously won't shrink but it definitely has it's own issues. I think I will leave it to Bill Hines and try to do my metal work well enough that I can keep the plastic to a minimum.
I can see some advantages. What about the windshield channels that are pitted but clean enough to save? Seems like lead would work great for that. Doesn't seem hard to clean up lead and tin it. Seems like there's a lot more bad techs than good techs so what they do doesn't compromise my work. What cuts into my work is the boss. :) He may not want me to lead due to time and I would want all those leaded areas to be epoxied before being fillled, but people think "if it's not broke don't fix it", or "we haven't had a comeback yet due to how we fill over lead". In the end I will probably just have to weld it up good and green it and fill it. Just trying to do what's right without getting yelled at for it.

#3,035 ·
The thing is in my opinion there are such great products these days that lead is more of a "feels good" kinda thing, it's cool when it's used just as a "it's cool" sort of thing, because it really isn't going to make a bit of difference in "quality" once the primer and paint is on the car.

That's how I see it at least.

Brian

#3,036 ·
you're right and to think about it most areas aren't really leaded at factory because it can move and lead is pliable, it's on there to hide the huge discrepancy between panel to panel. Probably the easiest way to hide it back then and still be a metal. :D Just would be "cool" if we can tell the customer we leaded the seams like factory. :cool:

#3,037 ·
And you know that the reason you see lead in factory seams was largely because they kept leading long after other fillers were created because of the lower dust in working with lead, at least that is what I have been told by people in manufacturing.

Brian

#3,039 ·
interior work

I just finished the front cowl panels to match door and seat fabric. took me about 4 hours each to finish making and installing the panels. Never did this stuff before. thanks to all the interior post help at this site I was surprised at how nice they came out.
It may not be show quality but I did it myself for only the cost of materials. Next I going to try making the panels next to the seat and install a couple of speakers at the same time. Added some pics