The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 153 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I use to have to WORK here when I was a paint rep. I wonder why I found my self doing so much business up in northern California and literally almost zero in the cities around the bay area? hmmm

No kidding, on my first trip up north for work I was on this road and remember saying out loud "I'm at work" and laughing. This below me nearer Monterey I think, I had an account in Monterey actually. But up north up to Arcada was as far as I went just a little ways from the Oregon state line. What beautiful country!

Brian
LOL. I understand. You can drive along highway 101, look off to the ocean and watch pods of whales migrating. Until you have done it you just can not explain to someone else. It is simply awesome. While I don't want to leave home again I would not take anything for the time I spent out there. We have really gotten off topic but I could go on all day about the things we saw and did that were just really special.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
We have really gotten off topic but I could go on all day about the things we saw and did that were just really special.
Yes, a little off topic but this is good incentive to get out in the garage and get that car done! I think I will do that right now, cold as a mother-law's love but I am going to get out there so when the temp goes up I can DRIVE my convertible out there to Hwy 1.

Brian
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yes, a little off topic but this is good incentive to get out in the garage and get that car done! I think I will do that right now, cold as a mother-law's love but I am going to get out there so when the temp goes up I can DRIVE my convertible out there to Hwy 1.

Brian
LOL, You were right. Went down and started to color sand the cowl with 1000 grit. We are now oficially back on topic.

John L
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Your both are BLESSED,I i guess we all are if you think about it ,ary time you feel bad just Look around ,He is still there
Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Your both are BLESSED,I i guess we all are if you think about it ,ary time you feel bad just Look around ,He is still there
Amen, And the Grace is free.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

As for what did i work on .finised all body work ,got cab fenders and tail gate in epoxy primer,should do f fenders and hood monday.,then sit for a week to let primer shrink before block sanding,
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Right on, we can always be thankful for what we have. Everywhere and everyone does blessed things every day. I LOVE it all over this country, I honestly could be dropped anywhere, I have been all over it and I could be dropped anywhere and be happy, some BEAUTIFUL places out there.

And today I got out there to the Gran Sport and flushed out all the funky old brake fluid and installed the proportioning valve and got started on the Master cyl. That proportioning valve was a MUTHA. Tucked up on the side of the frame rail next to a motor that was shoehorned in there with the starter on the left side, what a MUTHA. Almost gave up a few times and called it quits, for good or for the day at least. But hung in there and got it done. I am reminded how hard my brother has worked wrenching for a living, I will hang a quarter on a new car any time over this stuff.

Brian
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I agree Brian. I don't mind doing anything paint and body related. I don't even mind dis-assembly and re-assembly on a frame off resto, but ALL mechanic work goes down the street to my brother's shop . He is a LOT more patient than I am, I usually end up with nothing but bloody hands and a lot of thrown wrenches . We have basically built complete cars from nothing but a firewall and a VIN plate and that I enjoy. BUT when it comes to mechanical stuff especially with the newer stuff they can have it.

Kelly
Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

I miss my brother being here in town so much. We had shops in the same industrial building for a number of years and had lunch all the time at a local old time "Creamery", I really miss those days, they are treasures to me. We worked together on many cars, him doing the mechanical and me the body, we were a hell of a team.

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I know what you mean Brian. I have my shop, my brother has his, and my dad has his lol. We all work with each other on a regular basis. Dad does mostly wreck rebuilds and insurance work, My brother does a little bit of everything from paint and body to mechanical, and I mainly do older cars and custom work. We make a pretty good team, dad says "we work on everything but boats, and will trade for anything but goats"

Kelly
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

It us great to work with a freind or family ,i stated earlyer got my truck in primer, should have said my son got it in primer as i cant paint anymore ,he owns a classic and restoration shop ,i do All of mechanical work and repairs,and most body work on my own ,KELLY ,my son does all paint now,his shop is pictured in most of disassembly ,mine is the Cluttered shop where the truck is on rack it is only a 40x40 ,his is 100 x 300 he has more room for me to make a mess LOL.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
I know what you mean Brian. I have my shop, my brother has his, and my dad has his lol. We all work with each other on a regular basis. Dad does mostly wreck rebuilds and insurance work, My brother does a little bit of everything from paint and body to mechanical, and I mainly do older cars and custom work. We make a pretty good team, dad says "we work on everything but boats, and will trade for anything but goats"

Kelly
When I had my shop, LOL, when work came in the door I did it. That is the down side to not being good at business. I would have a restoration project or two in the shop and still NEED money, and do anything for it, like painting lawn furniture, or how about a number of hundred feet of "wire mould" an exposed wiring cover for construction. No kidding, many hundreds of feet of it! I could go into a local shopping mall and point out the wire mould I had painted! How about shelves in a store LOL, that one has a funny story. I painted them with acry enamel and the next day they came and picked them up. This was about 10 free standing shelves in a collectable shop (Lladro figurines and crap like that). They put them in the store and they were not fully flashed off! The poor ladies in this store got sick, they had to leave the doors all open to air it out, it was NOT good.

Yep, my brother and I made a good team, I sure miss working with him.

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I can see a picture of that ,they have painted antique cabinets to old iron bed frame a lady wanted back original old dark green with gold pin strips ,But the money spends just as good .but still prefer classic cars.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

The iron bed I have been sleeping on for 25 years I had powder coated back then, that worked like a charm! I sure wish I had that connection still. I had a guy who was in a Buick club I was in who managed a powder coating place and we did a LOT of stuff thru him, it was so reasonable it was crazy and made things so nice. He did this bed for $110 complete side rails and all, I couldn't have bought the paint for that.

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

A little shop time today with the ole Orange Crate

I installed some modified bed side trim across the back of the cab at the two tone paint break line.

Pretty subtle, not very noticeable in the photos below, but it visually ties the custom cab b-pillar trim panels together.

I also mocked up some side trim on the truck, just to get a visual of how it would look. I am still 'on the fence" as to if I want the trim at all.

Comments?

I personally like the short spear look vs. the long stock spear.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.