The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 154 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
My opinion is it doesn't work.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

You have a hard to find trim on cab ,i guess you know those stainless cab corner trim is a one year only 64 ,i have a 66 fleetside custom cab big back glass same color as yours ,but it has aluminum trim also has devider trim between colors ,it needs restored but every one says its only original once
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The iron bed I have been sleeping on for 25 years I had powder coated back then, that worked like a charm! I sure wish I had that connection still. I had a guy who was in a Buick club I was in who managed a powder coating place and we did a LOT of stuff thru him, it was so reasonable it was crazy and made things so nice. He did this bed for $110 complete side rails and all, I couldn't have bought the paint for that.

Brian
I sleep on a bed that was made for me by a telephone buddy who liked to do wood work. I agreed to paint a '56 chevy 4 door sedan which was to be a 16th birthday present for his daughter and he was to make me a king size bed with drawers around it. After the deal was made I was advised she was insisting that the car be a different color and 2 toned. I painted the car, jams, trunk and all. She then refused to drive "that big old thing" and he sold it.

The good news is 35 years later I still have the bed.

John L
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I installed some modified bed side trim across the back of the cab at the two tone paint break line.

I also mocked up some side trim on the truck, just to get a visual of how it would look. I am still 'on the fence" as to if I want the trim at all.

Comments?
Not loving the trim myself. I'd leave the sides clean.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

LOL good stuff,

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

I spent the day in freezing weather cleaning up my '71 Camaro so a guy who was interested in buying it could see it at it's best. He liked it a lot, and said he'd take it. I've owned the Camaro since the early 70's, and it's kinda like one of the kids leaving home!
Need to find another project car to direct my time towards!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Well, I started on the doors today. One of the advantages to doing this as a hobby is time is not an issue. I hand blocked the door dry with 180 grit on a long board. I have removed the color and the dplf sealer in all but a couple of places. It surprises me that I have not hit metal except where the blisters were. I am going to finish feathering it at the belt line and see how easy it is to peel the paint off along the belt line where it blistered. Then I am going to strip it to bare metal the full length of the belt line area it the rest of it has good adhesion. A shop could not do it this way but my time is free and if I should get lucky this thing will block out better than it was. After 4 years all shrinkage is done and it will have less material than it did before I started. Wish me luck.

John L

The yellow is a 2k primer I forgot I had used. The gray is PPG K36. I have just barely touched filler in a place or two.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I spent the day in freezing weather cleaning up my '71 Camaro so a guy who was interested in buying it could see it at it's best. He liked it a lot, and said he'd take it. I've owned the Camaro since the early 70's, and it's kinda like one of the kids leaving home!
Need to find another project car to direct my time towards!
I am trying to do the same thing 71BB. I have a pretty nice 85 El Camino on Craigslist. If it goes another project comes in.

John L
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Well, I started on the doors today. One of the advantages to doing this as a hobby is time is not an issue. I hand blocked the door dry with 180 grit on a long board. I have removed the color and the dplf sealer in all but a couple of places. It surprises me that I have not hit metal except where the blisters were. I am going to finish feathering it at the belt line and see how easy it is to peel the paint off along the belt line where it blistered. Then I am going to strip it to bare metal the full length of the belt line area it the rest of it has good adhesion. A shop could not do it this way but my time is free and if I should get lucky this thing will block out better than it was. After 4 years all shrinkage is done and it will have less material than it did before I started. Wish me luck.

John L
Good luck!

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Hey Brian, I have been looking at the thread on your last picture. I really envy you having those old pictures. Wish I did. I know you are anxious to get started on bringing her back to life.

John
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My opinion is it doesn't work.

Brian
Could you expand on your comment? What "doesn't work" about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
You have a hard to find trim on cab ,i guess you know those stainless cab corner trim is a one year only 64 ,i have a 66 fleetside custom cab big back glass same color as yours ,but it has aluminum trim also has devider trim between colors ,it needs restored but every one says its only original once
The "cab corner trim" on my truck is aluminum?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I am trying to do the same thing 71BB. I have a pretty nice 85 El Camino on Craigslist. If it goes another project comes in.

John L
I've always thought that body style for ElCaminos was a great one. I like the Malibus of those same years too!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

[QUOTE=lakeroadster;1636959]I installed some modified bed side trim across the back of the cab at the two tone paint break line.

Pretty subtle, not very noticeable in the photos below, but it visually ties the custom cab b-pillar trim panels together.

I also mocked up some side trim on the truck, just to get a visual of how it would look. I am still 'on the fence" as to if I want the trim at all.

Comments?

I personally like the short spear look vs. the long stock spear.

If I had a vote, I would say ok to the divider strip on the back of the cab but I think the fender trim is maybe a little too much. Those trucks are like a '57 chevy. It is just hard to make them better.

John L
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Could you expand on your comment? What "doesn't work" about it?

The "cab corner trim" on my truck is aluminum?
The mouldings on the fender just don't work. The problem with those trucks is how they used the earlier fender. That fender matched the earlier truck but it doesn't match yours. If you wanted to do something really cool, make rear fenders that match the front. But just putting those mouldings on there don't "tie" it together at all in my opinion.

Brian
Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey Brian, I have been looking at the thread on your last picture. I really envy you having those old pictures. Wish I did. I know you are anxious to get started on bringing her back to life.

John
You don't know how much. The Gran sport isn't a creation, it's nothing to me. And now all that is left is some mechanical work, I don't enjoy it. I really want to get back to that truck and bring it back to life. I have a lot of pictures of it but not nearly what we take today. My brother is really jealous, I took the only few pictures of his Model A, just three or four pictures no kidding. It's a bummer but I am glad we have those.

So today I went out and painted the new master cylinder, then came in and watch the games both with the outcome I was rooting for. It's going to be a "Har-Bowl" with the two brothers coaching, pretty neat.

After the games I got out there and bench bled the master and installed it. Then cleaned up my mess from yesterday. I have the rear wheel cylinders and shoes to install and hopefully it will all work well. I have always thought that proportioning valve was the guilty party for my poor brakes after putting the discs on. Well, we may soon find out. I have that 56 Plymouth vacuum tank to install if it doesn't.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.