Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#3,101 ·
I could easily make a shifter to look period, I am talking even under the truck looking vintage. I am a nut on themes, I don't even like to fake it, I WANT it to be vintage all the way, every nut and bolt. I hope to do a lot of the work with the torch too. :mwink:

I love using NOS and NORS parts and really getting the feeling of the times. I will even listen to music of the times while working on a project, I just love getting into it.

Brian

#3,103 ·
I could easily make a shifter to look period, I am talking even under the truck looking vintage. I am a nut on themes, I don't even like to fake it, I WANT it to be vintage all the way, every nut and bolt. I hope to do a lot of the work with the torch too. :mwink:

I love using NOS and NORS parts and really getting the feeling of the times. I will even listen to music of the times while working on a project, I just love getting into it.

Brian
I understand that completely! Why, I'm still wearing the same underwear I had in the 60's! ( Davy Crockett!)

BB

#3,105 ·
Brian - in some ways you remind me of me! You are building a truck to be as it would have been in 1955, rather than incorporating all the latest & greatest stuff. No Billet super-dooper everything, no power seats, windows, locks no airbags, no MII susp etc.

Its all about being different from the pack

That is the reason why I refuse to do paint/bodywork, interiors etc on my cars - purely because everyone else DOES care about that stuff! "Everyone else" has gaps aligned, 739 coats of paint, and spends all day using Mothers or Meguiars. I never wash mine and they sit outside in the rain. The Henway now has all the paint on the roof jumping ship in sheets, and the bondo in the RF fender is falling out. My 57 Chev is a friendly car- waves at everyone, and has $20.00 seatcovers on the original (stuffing coming out) seats!

"Everyone else" has chrome & billet under the hood. I took that stuff off and replaced it with chipped and greasy original-looking valve covers etc.

#3,106 ·
Agreed. Every ding, dent and scratch tells a story, a piece of history, when i drive my 64 chevy stepside i can imagine a pile of friends in the back with a few cases of beer bangin on the hood as we go rippin down a dirt road and a few pretty ladies in the cab (wich is exactly what i did while i drove it in high school) with Sweet home alabama cranked up. its cool to think about how many years the truck has seen and what happened in each of those years...

#3,111 ·
What did people do before nylon ties ?? Been working on complete wiring harness today also ,got alternator starter ,and dist wired plus all interior gauges tach & shifter and sterring column ,still like all lights ,fan and horn rear mounted gas tank and fuel pump ,.hope to finish them tomorrow,:confused::confused:

#3,113 ·
A lousy week so far rain, snow, freezing rain, muddy slop, once I'm wet and chilled I cant warm up!!!:eek: Even in a hot bath Im still cold!!!:(

Well I finally received the water pump housing today and painted it and installed it on the 383 and its ready to install :thumbup: Now the owner has to get the car here and he wont do it in lousy weather:nono::confused: and its supposed to rain all week here and part of next week :pain: I cant win LOL!!

Jester

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73070&stc=1&d=1365648334

Attachments

#3,114 ·
A lousy week so far rain, snow, freezing rain, muddy slop, once I'm wet and chilled I cant warm up!!!:eek: Even in a hot bath Im still cold!!!:(

Well I finally received the water pump housing today and painted it and installed it on the 383 and its ready to install :thumbup: Now the owner has to get the car here and he wont do it in lousy weather:nono::confused: and its supposed to rain all week here and part of next week :pain: I cant win LOL!!

Jester

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73070&stc=1&d=1365648334
Just thought you'd like to know Jester, it's gonna be 80 in Sacramento tomorrow but I'll suffer through it.

BB

#3,119 · (Edited)
worked on finishing up this cougar and hood scoop. Used some SMC adhesive and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow I sand it down and the car is done. Gonna try to sand the SMC adhesive flat with no filler and no filler on the scoop. It's going flat black anyways and will be blocked after primer.

And then there was the edges of the door filler ripped off. At first I thought it was sabotage but then I remembered the new guy wire wheeled the ENTIRE back of the door. Guess I didn't explain it well. I told him to wire wheel the rubber seal goop off and prep, instead he wire wheeled the whole door. Oh well, gotta love the effort. What I didn't like was that it was pretty obvious to me that he knew he knicked the door but didn't say anything, and to me that's a HUUUUUUUGE NO NO, especially when you do restoration in long drawn out processes. Mistakes are ok but when you try to hide them by placing the door in the corner that to me is a mandatory sit down. Not mad though. It happens and I did the same sort of things when I started and felt I needed to hide it to keep my job so I know all about that.

Ended the day playing basketball to relieve a little stress.

#3,120 ·
Hows your weather in Vancouver :confused: :thumbup:

I have a hot tub the pump froze when we lost power for a few days during a Blizzard LOL and I havn't ordered a new pump yet LOL Its too cold to install it the Tubs outside:eek: So I was waiting for warm weather LOL:D

Jester:thumbup:
Weather here is nice. Cherry Blossoms have almost finished for the year. My wife's flowering shrubs are coming into bloom and my bananas are coming up again. I put the solar cover on the pool to heat it up for early use (I COULD turn on the boiler, but solar heat is free, Nat gas isn't)

I've already cut the lawn twice - will do it again if/when it stops raining!

I put my ol' hot tub in Craigslist as a "come get this thing outta my way" freebie. I really enjoyed it in winter - when there is snow and you sit in the hot tub, snow falling, sip some white wine - heaven!

Hasn't snowed around here enough to be bothered in many years.

Even the Olympics a couple of years back, we had to get snow trucked in from a couple hundred miles away!