Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#301 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Thanks adantessr, sometimes I'm just too close to it to think about this stuff! Your pic sent me in the right direction. Today I finally finished the tunnel sections. I did three different cone shapes and although I had to "modify" the curvature of the smaller to get a smooth transition, I think they will be OK. Spent about the last two hrs just cleaning and getting some room so I can roll around under this thing doing the brake, fuel and tranny lines this next week. At least I now have all the floor panels ready to go it when I'm done with the mechanicals. Thanks to all for the help & support on th floor pan stuff. :thumbup: Bob
You are quite welcome, and that looks really good. Handy to have lots of cardboard around to cut out patterns. What kind of car is it ? Allan Dantes Sr. (adantessr)

#302 ·
My day was spent blowing my nose. :rolleyes: Holy crap I got kicked big time by some head cold, BIG TIME like I haven't been kicked in years. No doing anything for me.

Brian

#303 ·
Allan; It's a 1933 Plymouth 4dr. all steel body that someone put down on an old ladder bar drag car frame with S-10 front end.The drag car set up is what got me when I looked at the car. The guy who had it chased me for 9 months before I finally gave in. I was actually not looking for a ride at the time but I guess I made him an offer HE didn't refuse. It was already a driver w/sbc, turbo 350, etc. I sure didn't think he would take the $5000 for it but he did! :thumbup: Of course, as these things go, by the time I get finished fixing it to MY way of things, who knows how much I'll have in it. I keep finding things I want different. Basically for cruising in the summer to the shows, etc. Bob

#304 ·
matts37chev said:
does that really count?
because i have been feeling bad :(
because I havent done anything the last couple of days :(
hold on while I step out into the garage for 5 :thumbup:

There is a fine line between "thinking about it" and "planning". So if the five minutes is spent on planning, I say that's five mintues "work" on the car.

This is the thing with me, if you do NOTHING well then NOTHING was done. If you are going out to simply LOOK at that car for five minutes day after day, you are BOUND to work on it. If you don't even see the car for weeks, well then you KNOW you won't be working on it. Not only that but you forgot where you were and have to start the planning all over. So even going out and planning something, if you worked on it the day before and the day after I would say heck yes that planning was "working" on the car.

I haven't been out to the garage since Saturday and I am feeling like I have failed, because I have kept up that five minutes a day mininum, honestly, I feel like I have failed because I didn't get out there.

I have until March 24th for the Goodguys near me.......I may just be able to drive this thing out there. I seriously doubt I could have the top done. But I MAY be able to drive it out there. My son drove it out there in primer apart as it is with no top in 2000. I think it's about time it makes it out there.

Brian

#305 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Allan; It's a 1933 Plymouth 4dr. all steel body that someone put down on an old ladder bar drag car frame with S-10 front end.The drag car set up is what got me when I looked at the car. The guy who had it chased me for 9 months before I finally gave in. I was actually not looking for a ride at the time but I guess I made him an offer HE didn't refuse. It was already a driver w/sbc, turbo 350, etc. I sure didn't think he would take the $5000 for it but he did! :thumbup: Of course, as these things go, by the time I get finished fixing it to MY way of things, who knows how much I'll have in it. I keep finding things I want different. Basically for cruising in the summer to the shows, etc. Bob
I know what you mean about getting it the way you want it. My T-bucket was more or less (not quite) streetable when I bought it in Oct of 2009 for $7,000.oo. I lost track of everything I have done, or how much I have spent, to get it to where I want it. It sure has been a lot of fun and worth every bit as far as I am concerned. Big Al

#306 ·
Irelands child said:
Then too if you want/need to make jet or rod changes, Edelbrock Performer pieces work nicely and are very available inexpensively....
Exactly! Had to replace the secondary jets as I had to drill one out during disassembly. Edelbrock jets fit perfectly.

Put that carb on the Polara this morning. The car has not been started in 7 years. After boiling out the gas tank, a new pickup, blowing out all the lines and changing the oil and filter.... it fired right up and purred like a kitten with that new carb. I didn't even have to adjust the idle. Was able to drive it up on the trailer and it will make the trip to Texas this weekend where it will go into storage till I get our new garage built. Probably a couple months. Meanwhile I'll be rebuilding the AFB I took off the Polara. Its really gross so I'll have to soak it for two or three days before its ready to reassemble.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Remember, if you didn't put it together with your own hands, its not really yours." - Tim Allen

#307 ·
Well, even with my head still aching from this head cold I HAD to get out there. Of course, planned on five minutes and when I walked out looked up to see I had spent an hour! Got my headlights and park lamps wired up and made a template for a battery tray bracket. I lost the friggin thing in the years the car has been apart. It sucks because I know of course that I will find it, right after I make one no doubt. But I don't care, I want to FINISH that part and get the battery back in. If I find it, fine, but my bracket will be better than what was there anyway.

Brian

#309 ·
Took the distributor out of the 496 to put a vacumm advance canister in it.
discovered a lot of slop everywhere n thought it wasnt worth re-doin so i ordered a new one.The MSD Ecurve dizzy,sounded pretty good on paper.
Hope it works good!
I need vac advance with 700r4.
Sorry to hear bout ur cold Brian,I fought 1 couple o months ago.

#310 ·
MARTINSR said:
Well, even with my head still aching from this head cold I HAD to get out there. Of course, planned on five minutes and when I walked out looked up to see I had spent an hour! Got my headlights and park lamps wired up and made a template for a battery tray bracket. I lost the friggin thing in the years the car has been apart. It sucks because I know of course that I will find it, right after I make one no doubt. But I don't care, I want to FINISH that part and get the battery back in. If I find it, fine, but my bracket will be better than what was there anyway.

Brian
My wife also has a severe head cold, and we are 2000 miles from you so I can't blame you. :mwink: I have managed to avoid it so far. :D I was checking the medicine cabinet, looking for something for her and found my last prescription for cough medicine was Nov. 2010. Knock wood. Waiting for my vacuum reservoir. P.O. due to deliver today. Also waiting for my buddy to paint my fender that I backed over 3 weeks ago. I did all the fiberglass repair and filler and priming so all he has to do is the base/clear. Getting a little irritated with him, considering I built an engine for him and many additional hours on his truck. :spank:

#311 ·
Yesterday, nothing. I had a great time with a cousin who spent the night at our house last night on her way to the airport this morning. It was wonderful chatting with her, tonight, the battery box bracket. :)

Brian

#312 ·
What is it with all these head colds, etc, right now!!!! My wife has been half down with something for the last two days. So figure what I've been doing; practically anything that keeps me close (she has quite a bit of trouble with these things, they always seem to get much worse, like "hospital worse" before they get better. We're trying to head anything like that off at the pass. Hopefully I'll get back to the project some tonight, between some laundry, dishes. and other assorted domestics!
Martin Sr. Don't take the absenteeism so bad. LIFE HAPPENS! Now get back out there and do something! LOL :thumbup: I'm kinda lucky, I walk past mine on the way to & from work, so I get a double jolt of "Hey, you could do something on me!" from the project. Bob

#316 ·
Got the Vintage Air compressor & mount kit out of the box and bolted it on the engine to check clearance, etc. Hung the condenser off the firewall inside just to check the room & get an idea of where to put things. With the compressor on the right, the drv side of the motor sure looks out of balance if the alt. is mounted down low? Going to read through the V.A. directions again tonight. Come on weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#317 ·
Well, got a little short term project. I am going to do some fix up on my cousins daughters car while I am "storing" it for her. So today I took the door skin off to see the window regulator and what I needed to fix the window for her. I'll be painting a fender and the front bumper for her too.

Brian

#318 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Got the Vintage Air compressor & mount kit out of the box and bolted it on the engine to check clearance, etc. Hung the condenser off the firewall inside just to check the room & get an idea of where to put things. With the compressor on the right, the drv side of the motor sure looks out of balance if the alt. is mounted down low? Going to read through the V.A. directions again tonight. Come on weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sure hope that it was a misprint when you said you were hanging the condensor off the firewall. :nono: The condensor goes in front of the radiator and the evaporator goes in the cab. :D

#319 ·
I'm cleaning my tools after reassembling the rear brake system on my F350 - finishing yesterday afternoon. I think I had enough tools out to do a major overhaul (oops, I guess I did)

1 axle worth of Hawk LTS brakes
1 spindle nut socket - new
2 backing plates
2 sets of parking brake hardware
2 inner hub seals
2 rotors
2 calipers
1 inner hub bearing
1 quart Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic brake fluid
Many words not repeatable in mixed company :nono: :pain:

Those rotors(33# ea), hubs(12"), calipers(17#), axles(20#) and 18" wheel/tire combos(85#) are freaking heavy and my back is aching and my wallet is much thinner :sweat:

Dave W

#320 ·
adantessr said:
I sure hope that it was a misprint when you said you were hanging the condensor off the firewall. :nono: The condensor goes in front of the radiator and the evaporator goes in the cab. :D
You got me. Sorry! First AC job. Still figuring everything out! Yes, haven't touched the condenser as my radiator & shell are no where near close to being ready to mount yet. Evaporator, fan, heater core, etc. assy. is what I put inside. :drunk: What can I say; I'm old, blind in one eye & can't see out of the other, deaf, dumb, and confined to a wheel chair! Well, maybe not that bad all at once but sometimes it sure feels like it! :thumbup: