The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 166 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Went out and picked up a 9 inch Ford rearend for my '63 Falcon gasser project today for $100! No third member, but the width is right, and everything else is there. Glad I wont have to have one narrowed to fit the old Falcon!
I would bet if it fits that Falcon it is either a '57 Ford or a Bronco. I know a guy who would let you make a profit up in Chattanooga

I have my doors ready to shoot with some SPI epoxy tomorrow.

John L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
This is how much I mean you MUST work on your car for 5 minutes minimum. I haven't been doing it but when I get it in my head darn it, I am GOING to do it, So tonight I get home from work to find out there is a power outage. I went out to the garage with my "miners hat" on pulled the water pump from the Gran Sport.

Brian
Now that is the spirit we are looking for.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
What the heck did that 9" come out of that would be narrow enough for the Falcon? The only thing I can think of would be a Mustang or a Bronco I am thinking. If it's a Mustang rear, it may be worth a mint!

This is how much I mean you MUST work on your car for 5 minutes minimum. I haven't been doing it but when I get it in my head darn it, I am GOING to do it, So tonight I get home from work to find out there is a power outage. I went out to the garage with my "miners hat" on pulled the water pump from the Gran Sport.

Brian

Supposed to be out of an early Bronco, which makes it .75" wider than a early Mustang 9 inch. Going to go look at a 3.50 posi third member tomorrow, so hopefully it wont eat up too much of the build budget for the rearend!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I would bet if it fits that Falcon it is either a '57 Ford or a Bronco. I know a guy who would let you make a profit up in Chattanooga

I have my doors ready to shoot with some SPI epoxy tomorrow.

John L

Looking good John!

Brian
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Supposed to be out of an early Bronco, which makes it .75" wider than a early Mustang 9 inch. Going to go look at a 3.50 posi third member tomorrow, so hopefully it wont eat up too much of the build budget for the rearend!
That ought to be an excellent unit for you. My roadster has a 57 Ford that a buddy of mine had in Vancouver, Wa just across the river from you. He gave me the rear end and put it on a pallet for me. I was able to get it shipped for 140 dollars so it ended up a bargain. I have a 3.25 gear in it but wish I had a 3.50 with the T5 overdrive

John L
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Today I embarked a whole new adventure - I have never been inside a disease-el engine before and now I seem to have somehow wound up with a teeny little Isuzu 3 cyl in my shop.

Right now I am guessing at what it needs, but:

It is putting out somewhere between a half and third of its rated power AND it is spitting drops of oil out the exhaust. It is on a 10 kw generator and I can stall the engine with a load between 3 and 4 kw on it, so it needs help.

From exhaust manifold temps I know it has one dead hole.

First thing to do: Get a compression tester that goes WAY up there in numbers - the stock comp rating on this engine is well over 450 PSI, so my Mac Tools tester just ain't gonna do it.

"Horrible Fright" has one that reads up to 1,000 psi for under $30.00 so - for a single use..... (esp since I'm not looking for precise numbers - just comparo numbers.)

Rings? Valves? All of the above?

Stay tuned.....
The most common cause of a dead cylinder on a diesel engine is a bad fuel injector. Those drops of oil could be fuel that is squirted into the cylinder instead of atomized. I am only speaking form 37 years of experience working on diesel engines, so I might be wrong, but that's what I'd check first. Allan
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
The most common cause of a dead cylinder on a diesel engine is a bad fuel injector. Those drops of oil could be fuel that is squirted into the cylinder instead of atomized. I am only speaking form 37 years of experience working on diesel engines, so I might be wrong, but that's what I'd check first. Allan
I would tend to listen to 37 years of experience. I am not a tech but after 10 years of customer support with Freightliner usually raw fuel is the result of an injector failure. Good luck

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
adantessr (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
That ought to be an excellent unit for you. My roadster has a 57 Ford that a buddy of mine had in Vancouver, Wa just across the river from you. He gave me the rear end and put it on a pallet for me. I was able to get it shipped for 140 dollars so it ended up a bargain. I have a 3.25 gear in it but wish I had a 3.50 with the T5 overdrive

John L
I'm going to go look at a 3.50 posi third member for the 9" Ford tomorrow. Probably will cost me more than double what I paid for the rest of the 9 inch, but it's exactly what I was looking for to go behind the 454 Chevy in the Falcon.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Put 3 coats of Epoxy on my doors today. There is quite a bit of work to do along the belt line but other than that, they should be pretty easy to get ready for paint.

John L

Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Looking really good John!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Looking really good John!
Thank you sir. Did you get your Posi?

John L
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Thank you sir. Did you get your Posi?

John L
How do all of you keep your shop so clean.they make mine look awful .i need to get rid of a lot of parts but i would need them next week if i did... your paint is lookin good
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
How do all of you keep your shop so clean.they make mine look awful .i need to get rid of a lot of parts but i would need them next week if i did... your paint is lookin good
You make a good point. At this point when I want to buy something I have to consider if I am going to use it often enough to warrant storing it. Space is as valuable as the stuff.

When I moved back east the guy who owned the moving van told me the first thing he learned was all his crap was stuff and other peoples stuff was crap..... I think he made a good point. I really like my crap, er I mean stuff.

John L
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

today and yesterday.

Ported a set of Big Block Dart Iron Eagle cyl. heads, also port matched them, just need some time to install on the 454. Then custom pushrods next.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

heads again,

Forgot the picture, haha.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.