The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 170 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dave, In the words of Jamie on Mythbusters, "Well there's your problem".

I had your usual project, assemble an 800 Thermoquad and a 59 Rambler idler arm.

I was sick, absolutely sick, I was assembling the carb (this is not my thing) and everything is going well until I find that I am missing a piece of the linkage! I had cleaned the air horn with carb cleaner out in the driveway then blown it off with the air hose so it likely is gone. My driveway isn't a smooth nice piece of concrete, it is cracked and rough and a strip of dirt runs right there, the chance of finding this thing was pretty slim, it was a tiny piece. Before I gave up and came in the house I looked over the area with a flash light and found it! WHOOO HOOOO!

I found that a Pete & Jake four bar bushing is going to work perfect on the idler, I mean perfect. Wild, it's like it was made for it. I picked up a seamless bushing at the hardware store and some machine washers and will be making an idler arm better than AMC did that's for sure.

I came close to getting the carb back on and firing it up but when I saw that it was 9:30 I figured that will be for tomorrow night.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 02-25-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
So I took the 3 disease-el fuel injectors in to have them tested - 2 were pretty much pooched and the third was only so-so, so I told them to rebuild all 3.

That's the good news

AND I got the diesel compression tester from Horrible Fright and tried it out on that li'l 3 cyl Disease-el

#1 was 425 psi
#2 was 450
#3 was - well - er- ahem - OK, OK - it was approx ZERO!

(That's the not-so-good news)

(Wonder if I may have found a part of the problem?)

Not a lotta use even trying to do a "wet and dry" check - with one hole reading a bit less than 2/3 of the square root of nothing whatsoever, I'm going to have to go into the little guy anyway so I'll see what's up then.
Well, in all honesty I was afraid that might be the case with the blown out injector in that hole. I was hoping for your sake that they had quit running the generator when it developed the miss. Continuing to run the engine with the blown out, over fueling injector has wiped out that cylinder. The raw fuel running down the cylinder walls has worked like a cutting fluid and most likely the cylinder is now worn oversize and the rings and likely the ring lands in the piston are also likely worn out. Been there and seen that too many times before. People who are not familiar with the diesel engine do not realize that running a diesel engine with a miss can cause a lot of internal damage. Also the fuel dilution in the engine oil has not done any favors to any of the engine bearings. Even the cam bearings need checked. Sorry for your sake that you were dealt this kind of problem. Be prepared to get deep into this engine to make it right. Allan
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Dave, In the words of Jamie on Mythbusters, "Well there's your problem".

I had your usual project, assemble an 800 Thermoquad and a 59 Rambler idler arm.

I was sick, absolutely sick, I was assembling the carb (this is not my thing) and everything is going well until I find that I am missing a piece of the linkage! I had cleaned the air horn with carb cleaner out in the driveway then blown it off with the air hose so it likely is gone. My driveway isn't a smooth nice piece of concrete, it is cracked and rough and a strip of dirt runs right there, the chance of finding this thing was pretty slim, it was a tiny piece. Before I gave up and came in the house I looked over the area with a flash light and found it! WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian
A big magnet Brian! I keep one handy, as I've lost stuff more than once in the driveway, or the garage! It usually picks up a lot of stuff I didn't want to find also, but what I lost is in there somewhere!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

I had a change of plans on my Falcon gasser project. After discussing it with a local rodder, he suggested I look into the 8.8" Ford rear axles. I did a lot of research online, and read some good things. It seems the 8.8" Ford is basically a copy of the 12 bolt Chevy, and in Explorers it's a 31 spline vs. the 12 bolt's 30 spline axles. The Explorer also has big 3.25" tubes, and is a pretty stout looking rearend! It's also the smaller 4.5" bolt pattern, vs. the 5" on the 9" I bought.
Seeing as I still had not found drums or a third member for the 9", I decided to look into finding a 8.8" instead. Surprisingly the 8.8" are plentiful, and I found a 3.73 posi from a 1993 Exploder for $175! Once they pulled the rearend and I got a look inside to ensure it looked good, they loaded it up and ready to take home!
I'll resell the 9" Ford, and since it's a narrow 53" to the backing plates, it should be easy to recoup my $100, and go with the new axle.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
A big magnet Brian! I keep one handy, as I've lost stuff more than once in the driveway, or the garage! It usually picks up a lot of stuff I didn't want to find also, but what I lost is in there somewhere!
Good thinking, that is the perfect thing for Harbor Freight.
I'll pick one up next time I go in there.

Brian
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

So tonight I am officially a bad ars (in my own head) I put together a carburator, bolted it on the car and took it for a drive. Honestly guys, this is stuff that I never learned to do because I had someone to do it for me by simply asking. So this is way out of my normal stuff, and wham, there I go, fired it up, sounded great, just a little adjustment and off I went on a tire smoking sideways test drive. That's the best way to end my "five minutes" out in the garage, with a nice test drive. I didn't realize how dark it was out there. LOL, click on the big black spot below this text.

Brian
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Teeny Diesel (encore)

So today I popped the head off that pesky li'l 3 cylinder Isuzu. Lo & behold!

Valves look to be perfect (but I'll do a valve job while I have the head off)

Piston in # 3 is broken - major cracks across the crown and it looks like a couple of little bits are AWOL.

All cylinders are 100% perfect - even still have crosshatch hone marks in areas where the rings rub on them, no ridges at top - all in all, (other than one busted slug) its in perfect condition!

Now to spend a few entire days on line trying to find new piston (with rings, etc) for an Isuzu 3KC1 (also known as a QT23 - and no - I have NO idea why the same engine has two different designations!)

Then source a head gasket etc for it and we'll be in business! (shouldn't take more than a month!)

I'll be getting the injectors back tomorrow, but I'll just store them until I get the valve job done and the head ready to go back on before installing them
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Buddy of mine bought some trailer fenders for the front of his T bucket but wanted them to flair a little at the bottom to look more like motorcycle fenders.
I built him a 10 inch section with a reverse radius that will do job. It is the first time there has been air to my planishing hammer in 2 or 3 years. Came out really well and old dummy here didn't even take a picture.

John L
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Sorry John, we don't believe you without a photo.

Brian
Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

got put in doghouse beacause the fedx truck showed up with box of parts from rock auto..
wife ; whats in the box
me; parts for the monte SS
wife ; you don't own a SS
me; what you think been in the garage for the last 10 years..
wife; can I have it
me; um, no.. you wanted a mustang
wife; when is that gonna happen
me; off to dog house..

goodyear belts 1-2 bucks hoses 7-9 bucks..
trw ball joints for the fiero 4 bucks..
new g.m. starter for the SS 34 bucks, didn't need but at 34 bucks..
clapper rebuild kits 9 bucks
wheel cyl 2.50
e brake cables 3-9 bucks..
brake pads (wagner)7 bucks
shoes 3.97
sadly even with the shipping, if I bought the stuff at my work and bought the cheaper house imported junk it'd have spent 125-150.oo more.. even with my discount..
most of the stuff I don't need yet, but extras on hand are handy..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 02-26-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
So tonight I am officially a bad ars (in my own head) I put together a carburator, bolted it on the car and took it for a drive. Honestly guys, this is stuff that I never learned to do because I had someone to do it for me by simply asking. So this is way out of my normal stuff, and wham, there I go, fired it up, sounded great, just a little adjustment and off I went on a tire smoking sideways test drive. That's the best way to end my "five minutes" out in the garage, with a nice test drive. I didn't realize how dark it was out there. LOL, click on the big black spot below this text.

Brian
Sounds really nice!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sounds really nice!

Thanks, the engine had a lot better sound and throttle response with the 1000 CFM Competition ThermoQuad and headers, but it still has a super nice exhaust tone.

Brian
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Sounds really nice!

oh another vid..
needs a play icon.lol
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Trying to decide on seats.
Looking at: e46, 350z, g35, tiburon, rsx, rx8, cts. They all seem to be well bolstered too.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
So today I popped the head off that pesky li'l 3 cylinder Isuzu. Lo & behold!

Valves look to be perfect (but I'll do a valve job while I have the head off)

Piston in # 3 is broken - major cracks across the crown and it looks like a couple of little bits are AWOL.

All cylinders are 100% perfect - even still have crosshatch hone marks in areas where the rings rub on them, no ridges at top - all in all, (other than one busted slug) its in perfect condition!

Now to spend a few entire days on line trying to find new piston (with rings, etc) for an Isuzu 3KC1 (also known as a QT23 - and no - I have NO idea why the same engine has two different designations!)

Then source a head gasket etc for it and we'll be in business! (shouldn't take more than a month!)

I'll be getting the injectors back tomorrow, but I'll just store them until I get the valve job done and the head ready to go back on before installing them

Sounds to me like you could fall in to a pile of doo doo and come out smelling like a rose. Seriously, I expected it to be worse than that. Sounds like you've gotten this under control. Only thing that I would caution at this point is to check the con rod for straightness. There has been some high pressures in that cylinder to bust that piston. Allan

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.