The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 175 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The wheel reveal moldings were standard on your car and if it were me I'd run them. If and when you run the tires off your beauty you might consider red lines or two stripe whites. Either would look pretty classy.

BB

Here's another look that actually isn't bad looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x72.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	72017   Click image for larger version

Name:	x73.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	72018   Click image for larger version

Name:	x71.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	72019  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
The wheel reveal moldings were standard on your car and if it were me I'd run them. If and when you run the tires off your beauty you might consider red lines or two stripe whites. Either would look pretty classy.

BB

Here's another look that actually isn't bad looking.
Yeah, I have a hard time with the thought of not being able to kick it's butt in and out of a corner, those Goodyears HANDLE. My buddy was chastising me for running those 14 year old tires (but they are "brand new"!) so we will see how I feel when these get replaced.

The car has a rear sway bar, larger front one, poly bushings, quick ratio box with gas shocks, it HANDLES big time! I have blown away some sporty car types with this big old Buick I'll tell you.

It has later (1970ish) 15x7 Buick "Road wheels" where as original they were 14x6.

As far as I remember the wheel opening mouldings were part of a chrome trim package that included larger belt mouldings, unlike mine that are simply a "rubber holder" with a little chrome bead at the edge.

Not that I care about originality that much but just saying, it was simply a chrome package.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-04-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

I'm still befuddled about what I did wrong with the top that the boot can't be put on. I looked at it more yesterday and I may be able to get the top folded in such a way as it comes down to make it work but damn I hate the thought of doing that to the top. It use to just go down and the top would clear the back of the seat with a LITTLE help so you could put the boot on.

Brian
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Thanks BB, I just don't know what to do with that chrome trim, I am leaning to put it on.

Brian
I like the look WITH the wheel opening trim.

BTW There was an article floating around the web a short while back that said that any tire over six (6) years old needs to be discarded, and to check the build date on any new tires before you buy them, because some unscrupulous tire distributor might offer a terrific deal on some tires that he shouldn't even be selling. Might try a Google search on tire life.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm still befuddled about what I did wrong with the top that the boot can't be put on. I looked at it more yesterday and I may be able to get the top folded in such a way as it comes down to make it work but damn I hate the thought of doing that to the top. It use to just go down and the top would clear the back of the seat with a LITTLE help so you could put the boot on.

Brian
Could you have over filled the hydraulic system? You might have a little to much fluid in it. It seems to me that I did that once years ago.

BB

Something I always thought looked classy was a pin stripe down the beauty line.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Could you have over filled the hydraulic system? You might have a little to much fluid in it. It seems to me that I did that once years ago.

BB .
You might be on to something there BB . A lot like an overfilled bottle jack.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
I like the look WITH the wheel opening trim.

BTW There was an article floating around the web a short while back that said that any tire over six (6) years old needs to be discarded, and to check the build date on any new tires before you buy them, because some unscrupulous tire distributor might offer a terrific deal on some tires that he shouldn't even be selling. Might try a Google search on tire life.
Here's what I found : How Old - and Dangerous - Are Your Tires?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
You might be on to something there BB . A lot like an overfilled bottle jack.
It's worth a try. I'd open the fill hole and just push the top back into place. Continue holding while someone replaces the plug. Just like bleeding brakes.

BB
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I respect the thought and have put new tires on the family van before taking off on a road trip even though there is plenty of thread on it, I don't mess around. But at the same time what are the odds? That whole article seemed like a CYA for every person in the industry asked! Every one of them was vague as heck, "it depends" is a common thread. The one that I really love is "tire safety inspection" every year after 5, just where does the consumer get this inspection, well at the tire store of course.

I think some good old common sense is needed. The tires on my Gran Sport for instance are 13 years old but have seen the light of day about 30 days total, and that is being pretty liberal, my son drove it out of the garage to the school parking lot a number of weeks, that is about it. The rest of the time they have been in a garage and not hit by sun light, they look like new.

Like I said, I can respect it, but again, the odds.....wow they are way out there.

Thank you for your concern and I will be thinking about it of course, it may just get new ones before I give it to my son. Thanks again

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
adantessr (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
It's worth a try. I'd open the fill hole and just push the top back into place. Continue holding while someone replaces the plug. Just like bleeding brakes.

BB
It has nothing what so ever to do with the top pump, it may be the way the top irons are adjusted but nothing to do with the pump. It goes down all the way without a hitch. The problem is with the top cloth it's self not folding behind the seat but laying on top of it.

In this photo the irons may not be down all the way, but with the turn of the switch it easily will go down further. The only problem is how the top is folded over the rear seat. This is going to be one of my projects at the next Goodguys, walking around looking at the other A body convertibles to see how theirs are done.

As far as the adjustment of the top irons I can't imagine it being pushed back anymore to make the whole top back further, but that is what it looks like it needs. But the top is overhanging the rear seat a good two to three inches where as the top irons only have a half inch at best that it could be moved, so that can't be it. The top folds where it is suppose to, I am befuddled to say the least.

Brian
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
It has nothing what so ever to do with the top pump, it may be the way the top irons are adjusted but nothing to do with the pump. It goes down all the way without a hitch. The problem is with the top cloth it's self not folding behind the seat but laying on top of it.

In this photo the irons may not be down all the way, but with the turn of the switch it easily will go down further. The only problem is how the top is folded over the rear seat. This is going to be one of my projects at the next Goodguys, walking around looking at the other A body convertibles to see how theirs are done.

As far as the adjustment of the top irons I can't imagine it being pushed back anymore to make the whole top back further, but that is what it looks like it needs. But the top is overhanging the rear seat a good two to three inches where as the top irons only have a half inch at best that it could be moved, so that can't be it. The top folds where it is suppose to, I am befuddled to say the least.

Brian
I think you have a great idea there looking at the other A body converts. I'm sure that you will find the problem, and then you will say: "Why didn't I think of that ?"
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I think you have a great idea there looking at the other A body converts. I'm sure that you will find the problem, and then you will say: "Why didn't I think of that ?"
Exactly! I inspected every convertible at the last Goodguys right as I was about to put my top on, that helped a LOT. First off, it made things more realistic to me, I was expecting perfection and looking at all those cars left me a LOT more comfortable about it. I took LOTS of photos, close up photos and it was valuable time spent.

Brian
Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Making new colors for ,M&M s LOL,these were sprayed today and set in sun so i can color sand and buff thursday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	72031   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	72032   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	72033   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	72034  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Making new colors for ,M&M s LOL,these were sprayed today and set in sun so i can color sand and buff thursday
You should sleep well Thursday night.........
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

how do you like those custom colors. Bulldog red and Tennessee Orange.lol

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.