The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 181 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I cant think of a more enjoyable hobby john ..There nothing worse than getting burned out ,doing this for a living and hating it.
Once I left the rat race behind everything changed,I started working on the rods and learning metalwork at my own pace and found it much more enjoyable..especially when you have all the time you want to get everything just right...
There's "conforming" but I don't think it's in the true nature of a good tech to even want that for the long term. I feel in a shop with overhead you get to a point(now don't take that the wrong way I still have plenty to learn) and then it's like a leash pulling you back from moving forward so to speak. This is why I want to get those metal working tools we discussed. There's no looking back now. Did you feel that way at one time? Keep in mind I stay in the rat race to be more well rounded. I'm a city boy for god's sake!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Martin ,im sure you know ,but i thought i would remind you 73-77 monte carlo and chevelle lagunas had swivel seats offered as well ,i boubht a new 73 monte with swibel seats on both sides ,then you could use your seats with swivel brackets it would look original and serve the purpose your freind needs also , also earlier thunderbirds had these and some 63-64 galaxies ,hope this might help you.If i ever need help i hope there is someone like you around A True Freind ,if i were closer to you i would help with your project,if you wanted any. Goog luck with find.
We thought about those but don't imagine they are very easy to find. I am going to look at vans today at the wrecking yard. Understand that even if this seat is ugly (as long as it isn't ratty) I will use it, it doesn't have to match my car or anything, it is for my friend to use and after the event I will remove it from the car and put the Gran Sport bucket back in.

I'm just looking at all my options. I can't stress enough, it is VERY difficult for him so I am not even sure if after all this work he can't even do it, I could go over to get him in the morning of the show and after spending an hour there leave without him, that is how hard of a time he has. So what ever it takes, I am still tossing stuff around in my head. And thanks for the offer.

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
We thought about those but don't imagine they are very easy to find. I am going to look at vans today at the wrecking yard. Understand that even if this seat is ugly (as long as it isn't ratty) I will use it, it doesn't have to match my car or anything, it is for my friend to use and after the event I will remove it from the car and put the Gran Sport bucket back in.

I'm just looking at all my options. I can't stress enough, it is VERY difficult for him so I am not even sure if after all this work he can't even do it, I could go over to get him in the morning of the show and after spending an hour there leave without him, that is how hard of a time he has. So what ever it takes, I am still tossing stuff around in my head. And thanks for the offer.

Brian
I know this is far fetched, but just suppose you could come up with some really strong run tracks. (heavy duty drawer pulls) that would allow you slide the seat out 10 inches. Even if it could be done the door would probably interfere.

I agree with the others. It is a good thing you are doing.

John L
Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I know this is far fetched, but just suppose you could come up with some really strong run tracks. (heavy duty drawer pulls) that would allow you slide the seat out 10 inches. Even if it could be done the door would probably interfere.

I agree with the others. It is a good thing you are doing.

John L
Yeah, something like that would be cool, keep those ideas coming, I could make the run racks that are strong enough if I can't buy them. But you are right, the door doesn't open as far as the Rambler on this car. The big thing is some sort of straps or bars to grab on to as well. It sucks because it has to be PERFECT, you can't believe that unless I go over to his house over and over and he tries to get in so we find the next step needed for me to make, if we don't go to that degree, I could make a handle that is six inches over from where it needs to be and he wouldn't even be able to touch it! It's hard because it takes a BUNCH of effort to get him in, to do it over and over is a big undertaking. But I think I will run by again today and see him after I go to the wreckers.

The best way of course would be lift like device they use in hospitals to get them into the bath.

Being it's a convertible I could use one of these but then he is trapped in the car for just the ride until we come back to the house. He doesn't have one understand, but that sort of thing would be perfect. I actually thought that is what we were going to do with the Rambler was just drive him to the Goodguys and drive around the grounds and go home. He surprised me with the plan to bring his push chair and get out there, it wasn't easy! But we did it.

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Yeah, something like that would be cool, keep those ideas coming, I could make the run racks that are strong enough if I can't buy them. But you are right, the door doesn't open as far as the Rambler on this car. The big thing is some sort of straps or bars to grab on to.

Being it's a convertible I could use one of these but then he is trapped in the car for just the ride until we come back to the house. He doesn't have one understand, but that sort of thing would be perfect. I actually thought that is what we were going to do with the Rambler was just drive him to the Goodguys and drive around the grounds and go home. He surprised me with the plan to bring his push chair and get out there, it wasn't easy! But we did it.

Brian
Hey, Is there enough strength in his arms that he can grab the top irons when the top is up. The top irons could be a great hand hold. Maybe you could make a removable bar that went between them. With your transfer chair and a good hand hold he could slide himself in.

Picture this: You have 1/2 of an a-frame that is the height of the top irons of the car and extends just far enough that his chair will roll between it and the car. The other end of the top bar has a hook type bracket that supports it from the top irons. A second piece goes between both the top irons so he can continue to pull himself up as he slides in. I believe this would be do-able but you would have to put the top up to get him in or out. Also it requires him to have enough strength in his arms to lift himself up and in.

Sorry if this is to far fetched.

John L
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Hey, Is there enough strength in his arms that he can grab the top irons when the top is up. The top irons could be a great hand hold. Maybe you could make a removable bar that went between them. With your transfer chair and a good hand hold he could slide himself in.

Picture this: You have 1/2 of an a-frame that is the height of the top irons of the car and extends just far enough that his chair will roll between it and the car. The other end of the top bar has a hook type bracket that supports it from the top irons. A second piece goes between both the top irons so he can continue to pull himself up as he slides in. I believe this would be do-able but you would have to put the top up to get him in or out. Also it requires him to have enough strength in his arms to lift himself up and in.

Sorry if this is to far fetched.

John L
NOTHING is too far fetched John, nothing! The problem with your idea is he can't reach his hand over his head. I was going to make some sort of strap that can be adjustable in length that hangs off the windshield frame with a loop for a handle. I am going to go by the medical supply as well as a place in town with mountain climbing stuff to get some ideas.
My concern with the pulling on the windshield frame is how much can that take? It wasn't designed for that at all, the cowl does flex some when you are going down the road. Just how strong is it? And how much of his weight would be pulling down on it is the other question. If it was just to steady himself that is one thing, but to pull his weight, he is about 230 lbs and that would most certainly be too much for the structure.

Often when he pulls on something you can see a LOT of stress. With the Rambler he grabbed ahold of the steering wheel and I could see that Marge was in agony! I had a concern that something was going to bend.

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
NOTHING is too far fetched John, nothing! The problem with your idea is he can't reach his hand over his head. I was going to make some sort of strap that can be adjustable in length that hangs off the windshield frame with a loop for a handle. I am going to go by the medical supply as well as a place in town with mountain climbing stuff to get some ideas.
My concern with the pulling on the windshield frame is how much can that take? It wasn't designed for that at all, the cowl does flex some when you are going down the road. Just how strong is it? And how much of his weight would be pulling down on it is the other question. If it was just to steady himself that is one thing, but to pull his weight, he is about 230 lbs and that would most certainly be too much for the structure.

Often when he pulls on something you can see a LOT of stress. With the Rambler he grabbed ahold of the steering wheel and I could see that Marge was in agony! I had a concern that something was going to bend.

Brian
Yea. This is going to be a challenge for sure. It appears to me that somehow, someway you will have to come up with a system to support his weight no matter what type seat you have.

Best of luck to you and your buddy both.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

If not, there is always the Rambler. But I really want to get him into the Gran Sport.

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
There's "conforming" but I don't think it's in the true nature of a good tech to even want that for the long term. I feel in a shop with overhead you get to a point(now don't take that the wrong way I still have plenty to learn) and then it's like a leash pulling you back from moving forward so to speak. This is why I want to get those metal working tools we discussed. There's no looking back now. Did you feel that way at one time? Keep in mind I stay in the rat race to be more well rounded. I'm a city boy for god's sake!
I agree with most of what I have heard you say Henry. The purpose of any business is to make a profit. As an employee, if we don't make the business 2 dollars after expenses for every dollar they pay us there is no reason for them to hire us to start with. Even though I may not agree with my boss it is his responsibility to get the job done and ultimately he is accountable if it does not get done. As an employee, I have always made it a point to be accommodating, dependable, and valuable to the company. If I can not be all those things then I am working for the wrong company.

I started a small shop when I left the telephone Company and realized very quickly I could have a career or a hobby. The work is out there and with your desire for perfection you would do well but until you really get involved in running a business it is hard to imagine just how expensive it becomes. The overhead is a killer. After less than a year I chose the hobby over the business and went back to a 8-5 job. Even then it took a couple of years before I wanted to go back to the garage and work on a car even for fun.

It is great that you want to learn to shape metal and I know you will find it rewarding and challenging. You obviously have the talent to do well. I am only trying to say that the business is not easy from any angle. There are people, like Brian, who look forward to going to work in the morning, And thank God for them. To me it needs to be my way to relax and get the feeling of accomplishment that it is so hard to get working for "the man".

Everyone of us who truly excels in the restoration craft are motivated by a larger than average ego. We all want to be the best at what we do. That burning desire is what motivates us to be the best we can be. Sometimes that ego is a great motivator but it can get in the way too. At least for me it can.

Best of luck. I hope you have a great career and it all works out for you.

Looking forward to the next video.

John L
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
If not, there is always the Rambler. But I really want to get him into the Gran Sport.

Brian

Brian, What about thinking outside of the car? What I mean is what about some kind of light weight, but of course strong, platform to place betweent he car and the side of his chair for him to slide across to get in the GS? I'm just making a suggestion to throw a few thoughts in the pot. I don't know the extent of your friends abilities or what you have tried so far. Maybe as John said a sliding and turning seat would be the best idea if you could make it slide at an angle to clear the door? I hope something works out for yall.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

So far the "transfer seat" seems to be it. On the Rambler I made one from wood.

And made a handle for the dash.

It was worth it, but it was still pretty hard.

The transfer seat seems to be the best way to go but the rotating seat is in my head now. Getting his feet up into the car is one of the the hardest parts. We have to take his shoes off and it is a bare.

This is what I am looking at now.

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 01:32 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

What if you used a leather strap that had a hand loop on one end and a loop and buckle on the other end. It would buckle around the steering column for stability. If you bolted a tube with a ring welded to the end directly under the dash to the firewall similar to what you did on the Rambler, the belt could pass through the ring to position it forward enough so he could pull him self in. The belt could be adjustable at the column. Once he's in the belt could be removed.

Make your transfer seat so it slid back enough to get the loading process started and then you could push him forward a few inches into position, pin the seat solid and he could continue sliding in. The seat would only move a few inches. I would assume the cars seat is in the extreme rear position.
BB
Old 03-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
What if you used a leather strap that had a hand loop on one end and a loop and buckle on the other end. It would buckle around the steering column for stability. If you bolted a tube with a ring welded to the end directly under the dash to the firewall similar to what you did on the Rambler, the belt could pass through the ring to position it forward enough so he could pull him self in. The belt could be adjustable at the column. Once he's in the belt could be removed.

Make your transfer seat so it slid back enough to get the loading process started and then you could push him forward a few inches into position, pin the seat solid and he could continue sliding in. The seat would only move a few inches. I would assume the cars seat is in the extreme rear position.
BB
BB, that is pretty much what I had in mind only attaching the belt at the cowl right under the dash.

On the transfer seat, yes that seat is at it's rear most position. Making it move is an option. I am headed off to him right now to see how this seat looks to him. I also just got back from the wreckers, there are a bunch of van seats out there with a rotated pedestal. It would need a serious section job as they are about 8" tall. But holy cow the tracks on one of them would move the seat out about 5 inches! Then there are some very thin cheaper van seats with no head rest exactly like I had in my truck over the mid engine, they also have tracks, so I could attach them to the sectioned pedestal and have about 8" of travel between the two, hmmmmmmmm I am on my way over to his house and see what he thinks.

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

I went by Steve's and he says this transfer seat is going to realistically do just about anything the swivel seat would do for him.
BB, I am going to make up those ropes with loops at the end that you were thinking about. I held the transfer seat there with his guidance to give me the perfect location for it a little higher than the seat and back a little from the front of it. He tells me that it won't make a difference if it moves, as long it's about where we decided.

He can grab the top of the windshield, I didn't think he could but he tells me he can (I know it will take a lot of effort though) so that is what we will go with.

I am out to the garage to get my top boot out of the attic. I folded the top back as it came down so it is behind the seat so the boot will fit.

Brian
Old 03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Well I'm trying to make a tough decision here. I'm going with 17 or 18 inch wheels in the future but my current tires on 15 inch wheels are pretty old. I just feel stupid buying tires than I'm going to only put like 5000 miles on. The ones on here aren't worn out, just old. I don't know if I should trust them. Maybe I'll buy used. It kills me cause these have great tread on them but have been on the car for at least 5 years.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.