Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#3,661 ·
after reading the newest post I don't feel too bad that I haven't done much on my car this spring. It finally stopped raining here so i took my wife out to the local ice cream shack in the coupe. i now have 65 miles on the engine and car. next car show at the Owls head transportation museum here in Maine
I was looking at my interior roof and window trim, think I'll wait until next winter when i have more time to work on inside stuff. Just got my garden mostly planted, peas and beans and coming up and the lawn needs mowing about twice a week with all the rain. I'm just going to but some miles on the car and have fun this summer.

#3,662 ·
Today, cleaned the last of the holley parts, man does the carb cleaner/dip suck.
Next up was make my 3 leg engine stand a 4 leg.. tomany close calls with the 3 legger when torque'n bolts/etc.. Still in the learning stages of welding, welding 1/4 steel to 1/8th took some getting used to..
Other than that made a list of crap to grab at the junkyard. that the crate engine didn't have, dipstick and tube, balancer bolt and pulley bolts, maybe able to use the ones off the engine in truck if I could find out if they are still standard and not metric threads..

#3,663 ·
after reading the newest post I don't feel too bad that I haven't done much on my car this spring. It finally stopped raining here so i took my wife out to the local ice cream shack in the coupe. i now have 65 miles on the engine and car. next car show at the Owls head transportation museum here in Maine
I was looking at my interior roof and window trim, think I'll wait until next winter when i have more time to work on inside stuff. Just got my garden mostly planted, peas and beans and coming up and the lawn needs mowing about twice a week with all the rain. I'm just going to but some miles on the car and have fun this summer.
Now that sounds like a plan.:thumbup:

John

#3,664 ·
I am blown away, blown away like the cute gal down the street came walking into my garage in a G string, like I found a wad of hundred dollar bills in the back yard, I am stunned how easy repairing the stainless wheel opening mouldings on my Gran Sport will be (got one done in minutes) with the sand paper we have available to use today. Polishing mouldings thread (click here)

Brian....did I mentioned I am stunned?

#3,666 ·
I am blown away, blown away like the cute gal down the street came walking into my garage in a G string, like I found a wad of hundred dollar bills in the back yard, I am stunned how easy repairing the stainless wheel opening mouldings on my Gran Sport will be (got one done in minutes) with the sand paper we have available to use today. Polishing mouldings thread (click here)

Brian....did I mentioned I am stunned?

Ugh, lets get back to that cute girl in the G-String----?

BB

#3,672 ·
Saturday I pulled the rear brake hose off my 68 caddy. Got the replacement hose out that didn't fit. Monday went to Oreilly's and ordered the right hose, well the picture matches the one I pulled off the car. Get paid Friday and should get the hose then and will put it on Saturday. Also plan to do some work with the various gas tank hoses that I cut too long.

#3,673 ·
fitting up a 07 porsche Cayman fiberglass aftermarket bumper. Lots of work to get this to fit right. spent 4 hours just tinkering with it to get it to fit good enough to where I know it will rest right and so tomorrow I start shaving it down in certain areas for a better fit and build up on the back side. Lot of work. and cracks I have to fix from just man handling it to fit. piece of crap.

#3,676 ·
My garage was turned into.....

MARTINSR'S STAINLESS STEEL MOULDING REPAIR CENTER.

:D Got them all done, wham bam done with one being installed before I collapsed.

Brian

#3,677 ·
That is an interesting idea BB, I think I will do as I have with some other things and get some dense foam and cut it thinner so it slips into the areas along the bottom and front of the quarter so it tucks in and holds in place.

Brian
Years ago, I had a '75 Nova SS which was the family car, also used it to car pool to work. One of the guys just laid his thermos bottle in the trunk without doing anything to keep it from rolling around. It rolled and hit the inside of the quarter panel and popped a little crack in the paint. I didn't think too much about it until years later the quarter panel rusted through in that exact spot. Thanks in big part to Michigan's salted winter roads. So, yeah. Protect those 1/4's.

#3,678 ·
That would frost my butt! I will be putting my buddies wheel chair in there on saturday and by all means I will be tying it down just for that reason. But I am going to get some dense foam to put in there. It wouldn't stop it from being damaged if some real heavy object hit it but I have to be realistic, I'm not going to be carrying bowling balls around.

Brian

Reactions: adantessr
#3,679 ·
That would frost my butt! I will be putting my buddies wheel chair in there on saturday and by all means I will be tying it down just for that reason. But I am going to get some dense foam to put in there. It wouldn't stop it from being damaged if some real heavy object hit it but I have to be realistic, I'm not going to be carrying bowling balls around.

Brian
So Steve is getting to go with you ? Great ! ! :D :thumbup:

#3,680 ·
That is a awesome museum! I'm sure that you've gone before but anyone else that has the opertunity to go pleasem do so!. Them last time I was there they had the origional Mustang concept cat that was featured on Pop. Mechanics in 60 or 61!

BB

Attachments