The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 184 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
So tonight I started on the transfer seat mounting. This is where it will be.

The framing in position.

And this is my plan, to make it as hidden as possible and what seemed to make the most sense was this. I am putting holes in the rocker where this piece will have sleeves welded to the bottom of it. The sleeves will have a stud at the bottom that will run out the bottom of the rocker for a nut. The metal will be held with flat head screws and it will all be under the threshold moulding.

I have an extra couple of threshold mouldings so I have one that I can punch holes in so it will look stone stock other than the two holes which I can run plugs when the seat isn't in it if I want. But the seat frame will have 5/8" studs that will go down into the sleeves holding the seat there. I think this would be strong enough just the way it is but I am thinking the studs will have a couple of gussets too. It will go in and out in a jiffy.

Brian

Brian, That is very well though out, and the sleeves are something that I would have done also, to keep from crushing the rocker panel. Allan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
Brian, That is very well though out, and the sleeves are something that I would have done also, to keep from crushing the rocker panel. Allan
Yep, it's got to be strong. I don't think it would crush the rocker but all in all with the big picture of everything it must be strong, It will have only these two mounts, no braces going anywhere, just this, so it's got to be strong.

Brian
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

Well tonight wasn't much, but I bore a hole in the top of the rocker for one of the sleeves and did a little study on how it will be done. I have to tell you folks from other parts of the country, you would have crapped your pants peering into that hole seeing what I saw inside that rocker, perfect galvanized metal, just as the day it was made in the first week of Jan 1965. There is not a hint of rust. Buying a car from out here in California and paying to have it shipped to you is well worth the extra money.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
adantessr (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

Got the front bumper and clip off my '83 and most of the engine/tranny ready to pull just one motor mount bolt left and the drive shaft to pull.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,241 Posts
Quote:
Well tonight wasn't much, but I bore a hole in the top of the rocker for one of the sleeves and did a little study on how it will be done. I have to tell you folks from other parts of the country, you would have crapped your pants peering into that hole seeing what I saw inside that rocker, perfect galvanized metal, just as the day it was made in the first week of Jan 1965. There is not a hint of rust. Buying a car from out here in California and paying to have it shipped to you is well worth the extra money.

Brian
That is a pleasant bonus for being a good guy.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks so much John, I reward is seeing Steve's face when I light up the tires!

Brian
Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,241 Posts
You know Brian, I know he is going to enjoy the show, the ride and the car, but what is going to really please him is having a friend that will be there for him. This is not the first time you have sacrificed for him. There probably are not many who will. Your friendship has to be the real gift.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

Thanks so much John, it comes easy for such a nice man who was dealt a crappy hand.

Brian
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
Well it is not typically what we see on HRBB but thought some would like to see the absolute distruction of a polaris snow mobile piston and head when the crank seal is leaking air badly. Leaned out the mag side cylinder and this is the result. She made on evil sound at 8200 rpm to 0 rpm in about 5 seconds, 90mph to 0mph. Sad thing is I went through two pistons and two heads before I knew what the cause was. The thing is finally back together and I am back on the trail. Payed my dues with this sled let me tell ya.

The one pic shows what was left of the crank seal, it is on top of the piston, man it was simply gone
Wow, that look terrible! Gotta love 2 stokes though, the simplicity still amazes me.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:

Brian
Brian, I know what you mean. We were in the market for a used pickup last March, and I told the wife that I would only buy one from Florida, because anything from farther north would have serious rust started. Found a real nice '98 C-1500 on ebay and flew down to Orlando to pick it up. Not dissapointed in the least. Only cost $140.oo for a one way ticket, and got to visit my daughter, who lives in Winter Haven, and my grandaughter who was only one week old at the time. All good stuff.............Allan
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

I sold my last Skylark to a guy in New York, it cost about a grand to get the car there and he had one solid car that he would never find there!

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

That's one of only the things I love about florida. You will never see a late model car with rust here.
I don't understand the whole concept of the salt up north though? There's nothing else they can put on the roads that doesn't absolutely destroy the cars? I think that's pretty freaking stupid. Like hey let's put this stuff on the road that is guaranteed to make every car turn into a rusty mess.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
That's one of only the things I love about florida. You will never see a late model car with rust here.
I don't understand the whole concept of the salt up north though? There's nothing else they can put on the roads that doesn't absolutely destroy the cars? I think that's pretty freaking stupid. Like hey let's put this stuff on the road that is guaranteed to make every car turn into a rusty mess.
Yeah, I agree. I originate from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and years ago the Governor authorized a study of how much it cost car owners a year in rust repair. It was several millions. Only plus side is you could always find good engines and trannys in the salvage yards in cars that the frame had rusted in two. They have tried to come up with a formula that isn't as corrosive, but to my knowledge, that hasn't happened yet. Interesting side note is that it doesn't melt any ice below +16 degrees F. In the UP, it stays so cold that they mix the salt with sand to help with traction when it is too cold for the salt to do any good. Go ahead, and ask me if I miss living up there. Left MI. in '85 for WY and came to WV in '94. Lord willing, I will die here .
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

They should just not put anything on the roads, simple as that. If you can't handle driving in the winter than you shouldn't be driving in the winter at all. It's like we just give out drivers licenses to anyone now. There's people on the road who i wouldn't trust with a shopping cart, let alone a 4000lb hunk of steel.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
They should just not put anything on the roads, simple as that. If you can't handle driving in the winter than you shouldn't be driving in the winter at all. It's like we just give out drivers licenses to anyone now. There's people on the road who i wouldn't trust with a shopping cart, let alone a 4000lb hunk of steel.
Apparently, you have never driven on ice covered roads. I drove on them for thirty years and a sand truck or salt truck was a welcome sight. Many years I drove an hour, to an hour and a half to work, rain, sun, snow or ice. Even the best of drivers (of which I am one) can lose control on an icy road. Drove home many miles one morning on the gravel shoulder of the road in a freezing rain. You could not even stand still on the road, much less walk.

Another time we were sitting in a parked patrol car after a car pool buddy flipped the van I was riding in, I noticed the patrol car was sliding accross the road toward the ditch. The deputy said it was the 4th accident that he had been to in 30 minutes. I asked him if he had contacted dispatch to get ahold of the highway department to put down some salt. ........pause...... He called it in on the radio.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.