The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 186 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
And if you drill some holes in the bottom of the boat, it'll let the water out an save you from having to bail!
Yes and if you cross the Equator, you won't have to bail in the opposite direction!

BB

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

R&I'd my dash parts/ knobs for my Mustang and prepped it out and fixed a couple dings. There's a little quarky way to take off each knob on here and it makes it a bit more interesting. I plan on painting the car a dark red metallic or something like. Thinking about either a black interior with black dash and black dash pad, or white dash/ black or tan pad with palomino interior. I think the palomino interior with white would be awesome, but then again I'd have to paint the black on the gauges to white, or can just leave them black if I use a black pad. Was thinking about white door jambs so it will look good with the door panel in palomino and the red of the outer panel will stop at the flange on the door. That would be pretty cool but more work. Will most likely just settle for what's easiest so I can get the darn thing done!-lol
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
R&I'd my dash parts/ knobs for my Mustang and prepped it out and fixed a couple dings. There's a little quarky way to take off each knob on here and it makes it a bit more interesting. I plan on painting the car a dark red metallic or something like. Thinking about either a black interior with black dash and black dash pad, or white dash/ black or tan pad with palomino interior. I think the palomino interior with white would be awesome, but then again I'd have to paint the black on the gauges to white, or can just leave them black if I use a black pad. Was thinking about white door jambs so it will look good with the door panel in palomino and the red of the outer panel will stop at the flange on the door. That would be pretty cool but more work. Will most likely just settle for what's easiest so I can get the darn thing done!-lol
White door jambs with the car painted red ? Ummmmmm...........
No It would look like the car was originally white and you were too lazy to paint the door jambs.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
No It would look like the car was originally white and you were too lazy to paint the door jambs.
It's not really the door jams, it's the inside of the door that gets painted white, sort of like built in door panels. The metal is textured like vinyl, it's kinda cool. The door panel is just one small vinyl area in the middle of this metal panel. I have done a number of these and they are a pain in the butt keeping that textured area looking nice. Being the texture starts to get filled up with the very first paint job any done after that really fill it up and it looses it's look. So chemically stripping is the way to go to remove it all then you prime and paint it without using a very high filling primer and it looks like vinyl once again. But the whole jamb is made of this metal so even the area that is painted body color has this vinyl texture.

Brian

Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
WHAT!!! It doesn't all have to be about cars??? Well if that's the case let me tell you about how my hemroids have been acting up lately-------

BB
If you were working on them today, that's what you were working on and it qualifies.....
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If you hadn't seen that texture on the metal before, this is what it looks like.

In other words, if you get one with a dent in there, or someone cut a hole for a speaker, you are in trouble.

Brian
Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's not really the door jams, it's the inside of the door that gets painted white, sort of like built in door panels. The metal is textured like vinyl, it's kinda cool. The door panel is just one small vinyl area in the middle of this metal panel. I have done a number of these and they are a pain in the butt keeping that textured area looking nice. Being the texture starts to get filled up with the very first paint job any done after that really fill it up and it looses it's look. So chemically stripping is the way to go to remove it all then you prime and paint it without using a very high filling primer and it looks like vinyl once again. But the whole jamb is made of this metal so even the area that is painted body color has this vinyl texture.

Brian

that's an even better idea...hide the paint edge under the rubber!!! Love it. That sounds a lot better than my idea of cutting it on the flange that wraps around. Sweet. That settles it for me and will do the inner part of the door white and outside red metallic. I know it's not factory but I want red paint, tan interior and some white to adorn the tan interior. I think it will look great together, though not factory. thanks for sharing that pic, Martin. So true about that texture. I don't even sand them too hard. More scuffing than anything. Might not strip the texture and just seal and paint.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
that's an even better idea...hide the paint edge under the rubber!!! Love it. That sounds a lot better than my idea of cutting it on the flange that wraps around. Sweet. That settles it for me and will do the inner part of the door white and outside red metallic. I know it's not factory but I want red paint, tan interior and some white to adorn the tan interior. I think it will look great together, though not factory. thanks for sharing that pic, Martin. So true about that texture. I don't even sand them too hard. More scuffing than anything. Might not strip the texture and just seal and paint.
That looks a lot better than what I had pictured. As for sanding the textue, my professional bodyman friend uses a lot of scotchbrite type pads that he gets from the local Sherwin Williams dist. to use when he just need to cut the paint for a blend. I sometimes pick up a used one or two out of his trash to use for cleaning metal, or whatever.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
That looks a lot better than what I had pictured. As for sanding the textue, my professional bodyman friend uses a lot of scotchbrite type pads that he gets from the local Sherwin Williams dist. to use when he just need to cut the paint for a blend. I sometimes pick up a used one or two out of his trash to use for cleaning metal, or whatever.
yeah, I'll probably do that and a little paintless dent removal on a few areas. I have a gallon of white SPI I'll be using.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Tonight I didn't feel like going out there, kinda a hard day at work but damn it, I did and got one of the pieces made for the transfer seat. I feel good.

I think I am going to custom paint the seat, just for fun for Steve, he will get a kick out of it. I was going to put flames but now I am thinking of some bass boat flake. Hmmmmm I don't know.

Brian

Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 AM

1957 3100 TRUCK UPDATE Today , or yesterday since its am already . I learned just because the parts store's say the do not have a starter for a 57 chevy they really do . I also learned hygrade carb kits accelerator pump parts fail very fast . and if you really have to you can make it kinda work with a small piece of 3/8 fuel line . also if you buy parts from truck shop # 1 check they give you what you ask for # 2 only buy what you cant get somewhere else # 3 expect something to not work ! so far wrong , fuel pump carb kit , and 2 fuel lines . oil filter adapter seal failed carb kit failed fuel pump failed . old leaky pump installed and running . next Pertronix Igniter 2 . but it does start and idle normally now WHOOOHOOO ! and I finally found 1st gear haha with the 3 on the tree trans ! Martin SR my folks may still make the trip up your way .
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Oh yes, try to get a part number and go into the store with it. I was amazed when I went to a Wagner web site and found the part number for my wheel cylinders for my 59 Rambler. I went into my local store (which is a very good REAL parts store) and they had them in stock! No by application as they had searched a few days before, but they had them just the same.

And the "coloring books" as I call them, the catalogs with the pictures of the parts. Again, went thru one of those and came up with the brake light switch for the Rambler, which was not available by application. They had it in stock and I walked out with it.

It isn't that the parts guy is a dummy or something, they can only work with what we give them. So the more you learn the better.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Well, they are blue by the weekend but not going to be ready to color sand for a few days.

They have a little peel but with 4 coats they will rub out fine. Should be ready about Tuesday.

Life is good.

John L

Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Sweet John!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 PM

1957 3100 progress

This is a cool read ! paint n body custom fab , it is inspiring . well I put in the pertronix ignition . it works good I also cleaned up the dizzy checked the advance weights and lubed em with some light oil too . someone suggested I put some brake fluid in just to see what it would do . well after a couple minutes the pedal actually firmed up consistently on second pump ! no bleeding yet ! wow ! so I kept trying for first gear ... have to use left hand on shift collar a bit . same for reverse . I drove it around my block a couple times WHOOHOO !! its popping and snorting under a load still ...but what a blast !

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.