The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 186 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #2776 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM
boothboy's Avatar
More bucks, go faster!
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Grass Valley, CA.
Posts: 580
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 133
Thanked 234 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
And if you drill some holes in the bottom of the boat, it'll let the water out an save you from having to bail!
Yes and if you cross the Equator, you won't have to bail in the opposite direction!

BB

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2777 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,005
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 556
Thanked 217 Times in 196 Posts
R&I'd my dash parts/ knobs for my Mustang and prepped it out and fixed a couple dings. There's a little quarky way to take off each knob on here and it makes it a bit more interesting. I plan on painting the car a dark red metallic or something like. Thinking about either a black interior with black dash and black dash pad, or white dash/ black or tan pad with palomino interior. I think the palomino interior with white would be awesome, but then again I'd have to paint the black on the gauges to white, or can just leave them black if I use a black pad. Was thinking about white door jambs so it will look good with the door panel in palomino and the red of the outer panel will stop at the flange on the door. That would be pretty cool but more work. Will most likely just settle for what's easiest so I can get the darn thing done!-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2778 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 61
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
R&I'd my dash parts/ knobs for my Mustang and prepped it out and fixed a couple dings. There's a little quarky way to take off each knob on here and it makes it a bit more interesting. I plan on painting the car a dark red metallic or something like. Thinking about either a black interior with black dash and black dash pad, or white dash/ black or tan pad with palomino interior. I think the palomino interior with white would be awesome, but then again I'd have to paint the black on the gauges to white, or can just leave them black if I use a black pad. Was thinking about white door jambs so it will look good with the door panel in palomino and the red of the outer panel will stop at the flange on the door. That would be pretty cool but more work. Will most likely just settle for what's easiest so I can get the darn thing done!-lol
White door jambs with the car painted red ? Ummmmmm...........
No It would look like the car was originally white and you were too lazy to paint the door jambs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2779 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 12,978
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 696
Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
White door jambs with the car painted red ? Ummmmmm...........
No It would look like the car was originally white and you were too lazy to paint the door jambs.
It's not really the door jams, it's the inside of the door that gets painted white, sort of like built in door panels. The metal is textured like vinyl, it's kinda cool. The door panel is just one small vinyl area in the middle of this metal panel. I have done a number of these and they are a pain in the butt keeping that textured area looking nice. Being the texture starts to get filled up with the very first paint job any done after that really fill it up and it looses it's look. So chemically stripping is the way to go to remove it all then you prime and paint it without using a very high filling primer and it looks like vinyl once again. But the whole jamb is made of this metal so even the area that is painted body color has this vinyl texture.

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2780 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 PM
123pugsy's Avatar
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 52
Posts: 2,331
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 383
Thanked 241 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
WHAT!!! It doesn't all have to be about cars??? Well if that's the case let me tell you about how my hemroids have been acting up lately-------

BB
If you were working on them today, that's what you were working on and it qualifies.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2781 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 12,978
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 696
Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
White door jambs with the car painted red ? Ummmmmm...........
No It would look like the car was originally white and you were too lazy to paint the door jambs.
If you hadn't seen that texture on the metal before, this is what it looks like.



In other words, if you get one with a dent in there, or someone cut a hole for a speaker, you are in trouble.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2782 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,005
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 556
Thanked 217 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's not really the door jams, it's the inside of the door that gets painted white, sort of like built in door panels. The metal is textured like vinyl, it's kinda cool. The door panel is just one small vinyl area in the middle of this metal panel. I have done a number of these and they are a pain in the butt keeping that textured area looking nice. Being the texture starts to get filled up with the very first paint job any done after that really fill it up and it looses it's look. So chemically stripping is the way to go to remove it all then you prime and paint it without using a very high filling primer and it looks like vinyl once again. But the whole jamb is made of this metal so even the area that is painted body color has this vinyl texture.

Brian

that's an even better idea...hide the paint edge under the rubber!!! Love it. That sounds a lot better than my idea of cutting it on the flange that wraps around. Sweet. That settles it for me and will do the inner part of the door white and outside red metallic. I know it's not factory but I want red paint, tan interior and some white to adorn the tan interior. I think it will look great together, though not factory. thanks for sharing that pic, Martin. So true about that texture. I don't even sand them too hard. More scuffing than anything. Might not strip the texture and just seal and paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2783 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 61
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
that's an even better idea...hide the paint edge under the rubber!!! Love it. That sounds a lot better than my idea of cutting it on the flange that wraps around. Sweet. That settles it for me and will do the inner part of the door white and outside red metallic. I know it's not factory but I want red paint, tan interior and some white to adorn the tan interior. I think it will look great together, though not factory. thanks for sharing that pic, Martin. So true about that texture. I don't even sand them too hard. More scuffing than anything. Might not strip the texture and just seal and paint.
That looks a lot better than what I had pictured. As for sanding the textue, my professional bodyman friend uses a lot of scotchbrite type pads that he gets from the local Sherwin Williams dist. to use when he just need to cut the paint for a blend. I sometimes pick up a used one or two out of his trash to use for cleaning metal, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2784 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,005
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 556
Thanked 217 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
That looks a lot better than what I had pictured. As for sanding the textue, my professional bodyman friend uses a lot of scotchbrite type pads that he gets from the local Sherwin Williams dist. to use when he just need to cut the paint for a blend. I sometimes pick up a used one or two out of his trash to use for cleaning metal, or whatever.
yeah, I'll probably do that and a little paintless dent removal on a few areas. I have a gallon of white SPI I'll be using.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2785 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 12,978
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 696
Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Tonight I didn't feel like going out there, kinda a hard day at work but damn it, I did and got one of the pieces made for the transfer seat. I feel good.

I think I am going to custom paint the seat, just for fun for Steve, he will get a kick out of it. I was going to put flames but now I am thinking of some bass boat flake. Hmmmmm I don't know.

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2786 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 AM
mikesnyhere's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1957 3100 TRUCK UPDATE Today , or yesterday since its am already . I learned just because the parts store's say the do not have a starter for a 57 chevy they really do . I also learned hygrade carb kits accelerator pump parts fail very fast . and if you really have to you can make it kinda work with a small piece of 3/8 fuel line . also if you buy parts from truck shop # 1 check they give you what you ask for # 2 only buy what you cant get somewhere else # 3 expect something to not work ! so far wrong , fuel pump carb kit , and 2 fuel lines . oil filter adapter seal failed carb kit failed fuel pump failed . old leaky pump installed and running . next Pertronix Igniter 2 . but it does start and idle normally now WHOOOHOOO ! and I finally found 1st gear haha with the 3 on the tree trans ! Martin SR my folks may still make the trip up your way .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2787 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 12,978
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 696
Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Oh yes, try to get a part number and go into the store with it. I was amazed when I went to a Wagner web site and found the part number for my wheel cylinders for my 59 Rambler. I went into my local store (which is a very good REAL parts store) and they had them in stock! No by application as they had searched a few days before, but they had them just the same.

And the "coloring books" as I call them, the catalogs with the pictures of the parts. Again, went thru one of those and came up with the brake light switch for the Rambler, which was not available by application. They had it in stock and I walked out with it.

It isn't that the parts guy is a dummy or something, they can only work with what we give them. So the more you learn the better.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (03-15-2013)
  #2788 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:05 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,001
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 919
Thanked 703 Times in 563 Posts
Well, they are blue by the weekend but not going to be ready to color sand for a few days.

They have a little peel but with 4 coats they will rub out fine. Should be ready about Tuesday.

Life is good.

John L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2789 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 12,978
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 696
Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Sweet John!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (03-15-2013)
  #2790 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 PM
mikesnyhere's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1957 3100 progress

This is a cool read ! paint n body custom fab , it is inspiring . well I put in the pertronix ignition . it works good I also cleaned up the dizzy checked the advance weights and lubed em with some light oil too . someone suggested I put some brake fluid in just to see what it would do . well after a couple minutes the pedal actually firmed up consistently on second pump ! no bleeding yet ! wow ! so I kept trying for first gear ... have to use left hand on shift collar a bit . same for reverse . I drove it around my block a couple times WHOOHOO !! its popping and snorting under a load still ...but what a blast !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 11 (1 members and 10 guests)
496CHEVY3100
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 11 02-05-2014 05:31 AM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 03:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help 16 07-03-2008 08:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 08:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.