The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 187 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well i played Johnny Cash today, I ran my fuel lines stainless from fuel cell to fuel pump and carbs,had to go buy a special flare tool for the stainless bending a 4 inch long line in a 90 is tough,,got my power sterring alternator polished and installed ..Like ole Johnny ,one piece at a time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnyhere View Post
This is a cool read ! paint n body custom fab , it is inspiring . well I put in the pertronix ignition . it works good I also cleaned up the dizzy checked the advance weights and lubed em with some light oil too . someone suggested I put some brake fluid in just to see what it would do . well after a couple minutes the pedal actually firmed up consistently on second pump ! no bleeding yet ! wow ! so I kept trying for first gear ... have to use left hand on shift collar a bit . same for reverse . I drove it around my block a couple times WHOOHOO !! its popping and snorting under a load still ...but what a blast !
Cool! It will just get better as you work out the bugs.....John L
Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Well i played Johnny Cash today, I ran my fuel lines stainless from fuel cell to fuel pump and carbs,had to go buy a special flare tool for the stainless bending a 4 inch long line in a 90 is tough,,got my power sterring alternator polished and installed ..Like ole Johnny ,one piece at a time.
Hope you don't end up with 2 headlights on one side and one on the other.

John L
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

no but where is my other tail fin. LOL
Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
no but where is my other tail fin. LOL
Maybe you left it in your lunch box.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Speaking of lunch ,i am going to eat my dinner will be off for a while ,Car doors Look Great, you do good work.getting ready for Pigeon Forge Rod Run.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,141 Times in 1,009 Posts
After working all week tonight I simply smoothed out the skim coat of spot putty on the seat. I hope to get it all done tomorrow but I have a number of daddy things to do so I am not so sure. And that is just fine, my little 11 year old just got her first straight A report card and she is in track so tomorrow is practice. This little girl is such a joy to have around I have no problem spending time with her.

Brian

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Your a lucky Dad. Good for her and good for you.

BB
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
After working all week tonight I simply smoothed out the skim coat of spot putty on the seat. I hope to get it all done tomorrow but I have a number of daddy things to do so I am not so sure. And that is just fine, my little 11 year old just got her first straight A report card and she is in track so tomorrow is practice. This little girl is such a joy to have around I have no problem spending time with her.

Brian
Tell her your buddies are all proud of her!
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Check out this thread guys. Example of a student of mine welding.

Brian
Old 03-16-2013, 08:09 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

It isn't that the parts guy is a dummy or something, they can only work with what we give them. So the more you learn the better.

Brian[/QUOTE]

Yup The guys at the local Advance auto parts are no help at all on bulbs or whatever oddball part I need for my T-bucket. If it's for anything other than for the trans or engine, (which I know what they are out of) I go to the local NAPA . The guys there will spend a half hour looking up a two dollar light bulb to go in my front directional. Even had to make a phone call. Great bunch of guys down there. I walk in the door and say: "I need another part for the hot rod ." and they are happy to help, and even thank me for coming in.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
It isn't that the parts guy is a dummy or something, they can only work with what we give them. So the more you learn the better.

Brian

Yup The guys at the local Advance auto parts are no help at all on bulbs or whatever oddball part I need for my T-bucket. If it's for anything other than for the trans or engine, (which I know what they are out of) I go to the local NAPA . The guys there will spend a half hour looking up a two dollar light bulb to go in my front directional. Even had to make a phone call. Great bunch of guys down there. I walk in the door and say: "I need another part for the hot rod ." and they are happy to help, and even thank me for coming in. [/QUOTE]

The parts store I go to is pretty much like that. They WILL make it happen.

Brian
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

getting a gallon of 3m platinum filler with my Mustang decklid in my trunk and am heading to work. I recall when I got hired at the place I work at now my body work was already sharp but like a lot of other techs out there those stinkin hoods and decklids always required more time and were troublesome. I have learned so much in just a year and have made it a point to overcome that issue. Now I can take a decklid/hood and have it show ready in two primer applications with none of the common ripples you see in them Thing is, I did the metal and mud work on the hood and decklid of my Mustang before I learned all this and unfortunately what I learned is that this new approach has to start from scratch....uuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhh. So I will have to strip it and deal with MY OWN mistakes re work the metal. I have a feeling the decklid is beyond saving but will give it a quick shot. I know there's a decklid on CL for $35 so I'll go get that and bring it back to work. The greatest part about it will be that I got my foot in the door to do work at the shop and my decklid, filler, sand paper, and primer will be at the shop, which means I'm barging thru! My boss is cool for that. He even offered materials but I'm not the type to take him up on it. He even lined up side work for me to do in his own shop! That's pretty cool of him.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

so I get the hood to work and want to make sure before stripping it so I got out my mud hog and went to town on it. I then realized a skim coat of filler will do. At that point I already had a gallon of Upol gold bondo cause it was $15 less than 3M filler...what a nightmare. I topcoated it with my bondo and it was horrible. I knew it would need a top coat of good filler after so I hogged it and blocked it down and by that time my boss was there and told me to use the good stuff so I got to top coat it with the 3M. As it was curing I felt confident it was ready for prime so went home and got my primer. Amazingly, a year old gallon of primer needed hardly any mixing thanks to the fact that when it was brand new sitting in my office I'd turn it upside/right side up every month or so. So I'm pretty excited it's finally how I want it. It wasn't the metal work at all, it was the fact that I get discouraged to do work in my own garage. I don't really want to bring that crap into my house with my baby coupled with the fact I can't run an air hog on my small compressor and cheap filler that sands like crap. Seems like once I put it down on a stand in the SHOP the beast came out and tore that thing up. So now the decklid stays there and sometime next week I'll stay after work and block it and re-prime. Then I'll take it home for final sanding and bring in the hood and/or some small parts to paint.

Great start of the day. Now it's time to play basketball!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
so I get the hood to work and want to make sure before stripping it so I got out my mud hog and went to town on it. I then realized a skim coat of filler will do. At that point I already had a gallon of Upol gold bondo cause it was $15 less than 3M filler...what a nightmare. I topcoated it with my bondo and it was horrible. I knew it would need a top coat of good filler after so I hogged it and blocked it down and by that time my boss was there and told me to use the good stuff so I got to top coat it with the 3M. As it was curing I felt confident it was ready for prime so went home and got my primer. Amazingly, a year old gallon of primer needed hardly any mixing thanks to the fact that when it was brand new sitting in my office I'd turn it upside/right side up every month or so. So I'm pretty excited it's finally how I want it. It wasn't the metal work at all, it was the fact that I get discouraged to do work in my own garage. I don't really want to bring that crap into my house with my baby coupled with the fact I can't run an air hog on my small compressor and cheap filler that sands like crap. Seems like once I put it down on a stand in the SHOP the beast came out and tore that thing up. So now the decklid stays there and sometime next week I'll stay after work and block it and re-prime. Then I'll take it home for final sanding and bring in the hood and/or some small parts to paint.

Great start of the day. Now it's time to play basketball!
I don't know......

So many guys talk about doing this or that, but how can we be sure without pics......

As for me, I did nothing today except paint a door. (a bathroom door, )

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.