Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#3,762 ·
We went out to the u pull it today. They have a 4dr '69 Nova, and my buddy cut out a bunch of patch panels from it to use on some rust areas. $50 for all of them. He still needs the trim that goes on the end of the front fenders over the headlights, but it's a very complete car.

On the way home I stopped and picked up my recovered MII bucket seats. Had him delete the headrest openings, and sew them to match the Taurus backseat pattern. They came out very nice, but the material is just a bit less shiny than the rear seat. I may wipe it down with some Armorall to see if it brings up some sheen to match closer.

Got the radiator back in, and upper/lower hoses. Installed the electric puller fan. Also got the hose for the gas tank filler, and finished off the tank. Get back to wiring tomorrow, and keep tying up loose ends. Realised I didn't install an inline fuel filter, so have to put one in ahead of the fuel pump.

#3,767 ·
We went out to the u pull it today. They have a 4dr '69 Nova, and my buddy cut out a bunch of patch panels from it to use on some rust areas. $50 for all of them. He still needs the trim that goes on the end of the front fenders over the headlights, but it's a very complete car.

On the way home I stopped and picked up my recovered MII bucket seats. Had him delete the headrest openings, and sew them to match the Taurus backseat pattern. They came out very nice, but the material is just a bit less shiny than the rear seat. I may wipe it down with some Armorall to see if it brings up some sheen to match closer.

Got the radiator back in, and upper/lower hoses. Installed the electric puller fan. Also got the hose for the gas tank filler, and finished off the tank. Get back to wiring tomorrow, and keep tying up loose ends. Realised I didn't install an inline fuel filter, so have to put one in ahead of the fuel pump.
What if you dye the front seats with same dye as rear.?

#3,774 ·
Well, I am cleaning, going thru the truck parts and the Gran Sport parts, selling the Gran Sport parts and filing the truck parts. Now that I found the cab mounts I have no reason to dig anymore. I also found the door hinges so I am pretty much ready to rock.

I did put a new clock in my SnapOn clock. :D Hey don't laugh, I got it for FREE! All I had to do was buy about $3000 in tools. :D

496CHEVY3100, do you have any idea what this bracket is? I may have made it, but I think it's original. It looks like maybe a brake line bracket?

Anyway, I took this truck apart over 20 years ago so I will be asking a number of these questions I am sure. :p

Brian

#3,776 ·
Well, I am cleaning, going thru the truck parts and the Gran Sport parts, selling the Gran Sport parts and filing the truck parts. Now that I found the cab mounts I have no reason to dig anymore. I also found the door hinges so I am pretty much ready to rock.

I did put a new clock in my SnapOn clock. :D Hey don't laugh, I got it for FREE! All I had to do was buy about $3000 in tools. :D

496CHEVY3100, do you have any idea what this bracket is? I may have made it, but I think it's original. It looks like maybe a brake line bracket?

Anyway, I took this truck apart over 20 years ago so I will be asking a number of these questions I am sure. :p

Brian[/QUte

Brian that is an inner fender brace for the front

#3,780 ·
LOL I thought that was a trivia question he posted on the wrong forum. :D You Guys are going to have all kinds of things to compare. :thumbup:

John
Yeah I didn't think I would forget a thing about that truck having had turned every single bolt on it a number of times over the years but this age thing, holy crap. And it scares me too because my mom died of Alzheimer's, that of course is on my mind when I forget something I really should have remembered. No so much this bracket, I can't expect my brain to store something as immaterial as this bracket in the grand scheme of life. But sometimes I forget things that I REALLY shouldn't have forgotten, those things scare me.

Brian