Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#361 ·
Finally made it to South Central Texas. Nothing like towing a car down the interstate for 300 miles of snow and ice. Wound up stopping every 15 miles or so to remove the ice from the wiper blades and when we stopped for fuel, I removed a quarter inch ice mold of the entire grill of our truck. My hands hurt from gripping the steering wheel so hard for the 5+ hours of freezing rain before we finally worked our way out of it. The good news is we only saw two roll-overs... east bound. Don't know how many there were west bound. What a fun day..... NOT!

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

#362 ·
Centerline said:
Finally made it to South Central Texas. Nothing like towing a car down the interstate for 300 miles of snow and ice. Wound up stopping every 15 miles or so to remove the ice from the wiper blades and when we stopped for fuel, I removed a quarter inch ice mold of the entire grill of our truck. My hands hurt from gripping the steering wheel so hard for the 5+ hours of freezing rain before we finally worked our way out of it. The good news is we only saw two roll-overs... east bound. Don't know how many there were west bound. What a fun day..... NOT!

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
glad you made it OK :thumbup:

#364 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
I fired my son's Hotrod up today for the first time...... Man !!!! the look on his face was PRICELESS !!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cool !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

#365 ·
Low n' 51ow said:
I worked on some visualization for my overall concept. Lowered, skirted, and wishing for the whole ball of wax, possibly shaved and chopped....Anyone been ambitious enough to chop a 4 door??
Oh and I've been laughing at my daughters looking through my parts catalogs and hot rod mags.......the things kids come up with!! :D
Hey! No fair son. It took me three weekends just to channel the front on mine and I'm still not done. At least you can try different looks on that gizmo. It would take me longer to figure out how to use that picture voodoo stuff than it takes me just to do it. LOL :thumbup: :thumbup: Dad

#366 ·
Yesterday I didn't get too much done. Just couldn't get up much steam. The rear end was still not done @%^$&)*&#*^%, but it should be sometime this week. I got AC compressor mount figured out some, and tried to mock up the radiator shell to match the 4" channel job. Hard to get anything going, too cold, wearing two coats in the garage!
Today I decided I had to get motivated somehow, so I moved the wife's car out of the garage for some room and got to it! I made a new fan shroud for the radiator and stood it off about 3/4" for better flow. Put on the bottom pulley for the blower and checked to see how fan & radiator would fit. Went back to the floor bracing and added some for under the seat rails in the front and for the outside by the door openings for the channeled floor. I decided I would think POSITIVE about the rear end and I put the ladder bars back under the car. A lot better day than yesterday at least. Bob

Attachments

#367 ·
Looking good Bob, I know how you feel. Today I dragged myself around and between me being lazy and my sons computer he's building (damn thing won't fire up) I didn't get out there until late, but still got something done that I am happy about. I had a little stumbling block in that I didn't know where to start with my dash. I went thru all the boxes and thru the MANY extra parts and came up with the ones I am going to restore for my dash.

My God, when I first got this car the wrecking yards were full of them! I remember going to a Pull ur Part yard and finding FOUR of them! With one even being a Gran Sport. I took a lot of parts from them in anticipation of restoring my car. Now I have boxes of parts to pick thru. :D or is it :rolleyes:

I have five instrument clusters, dozens of switches, knobs and what not. I do have an NOS Buick parking brake indicator light kit, and emergency flasher kit. :D

But I am ready to go tomorrow night attacking the dash!

Brian

Attachments

#368 ·
MARTINSR said:
Looking good Bob, I know how you feel. Today I dragged myself around and between me being lazy and my sons computer he's building (damn thing won't fire up) I didn't get out there until late, but still got something done that I am happy about. I had a little stumbling block in that I didn't know where to start with my dash. I went thru all the boxes and thru the MANY extra parts and came up with the ones I am going to restore for my dash.

My God, when I first got this car the wrecking yards were full of them! I remember going to a Pull ur Part yard and finding FOUR of them! With one even being a Gran Sport. I took a lot of parts from them in anticipation of restoring my car. Now I have boxes of parts to pick thru. :D or is it :rolleyes:

I have five instrument clusters, dozens of switches, knobs and what not. I do have an NOS Buick parking brake indicator light kit, and emergency flasher kit. :D

But I am ready to go tomorrow night attacking the dash!

Brian
Thanks, Brian. From the looks of your bins, parts bags, etc. I could use some of your organizational skills. I feel like I've really accomplished something just by keeping the parts from this project away from the parts from my other project. Good thing it's a Ford & this ones a Chevy! LOL :thumbup:

#372 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Yesterday I didn't get too much done. Just couldn't get up much steam. The rear end was still not done @%^$&)*&#*^%, but it should be sometime this week. I got AC compressor mount figured out some, and tried to mock up the radiator shell to match the 4" channel job. Hard to get anything going, too cold, wearing two coats in the garage!
Today I decided I had to get motivated somehow, so I moved the wife's car out of the garage for some room and got to it! I made a new fan shroud for the radiator and stood it off about 3/4" for better flow. Put on the bottom pulley for the blower and checked to see how fan & radiator would fit. Went back to the floor bracing and added some for under the seat rails in the front and for the outside by the door openings for the channeled floor. I decided I would think POSITIVE about the rear end and I put the ladder bars back under the car. A lot better day than yesterday at least. Bob
Good job, allot can happen when you get the wifes car out and make some room. Problem starts when she needs to scrape windows with her credit card :spank: her problem at least :D

#373 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
I fired my son's Hotrod up today for the first time...... Man !!!! the look on his face was PRICELESS !!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I didn't see you over here, yes that is a BIGIE for the day that's for sure! If he thinks hearing it is awesome, wait until he takes his first drive in it! :eek:

Brian

#374 ·
Custom10 said:
Good job, allot can happen when you get the wifes car out and make some room. Problem starts when she needs to scrape windows with her credit card :spank: her problem at least :D
I know what you mean! We have an understanding: She understands I'm going to use "her" stall for some room............ and I understand I damn well better put "baby" back in when I'm done so "baby" doesn't have to spend the night outside. :boxing:

#377 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Thanks, Brian. From the looks of your bins, parts bags, etc. I could use some of your organizational skills. I feel like I've really accomplished something just by keeping the parts from this project away from the parts from my other project. Good thing it's a Ford & this ones a Chevy! LOL :thumbup:
When I think of the YEARS this damn car has been apart and what I can't find, I am very glad I did what I did to keep it organized, it really pays off. My son took a lot of it apart and I am finding this dash is going to be a lot easier than I thought because of him, check out the labeled bags of screws.

One of the things I did for the first time was to keep a binder with where things are, just quick notes on where I stick something. It's called the "Where in the living hell did I put that part" binder. This has helped tremendously! You can't believe how much this has helped. As you can see, it's no work of art. But damn is it helpful!

Check out the photos below.

Brian

Attachments

#378 ·
Busy week-end

Another busy week-end for me! Snowmobiling Friday morning. Pulled the motor out of my Dodge 1 ton friday afternoon. It is now on the shop floor waiting to be replaced by another yard 360. Saturday went out to our local rifle range and ran a 1000 yard match. I used my AR 10 Long range and did all right for my match. Small group for the match was 4 3/4" and 49 points out of 50, not by me! Went looking for Sage Rats around noon as the weather turned off warm and got 2. Earliest I have ever killed any.Cleaned the shop this afternoon and installed some mud flaps on my Dodge PU. Hope to have my 1 ton running this week. Ter409

#379 ·
MARTINSR said:
When I think of the YEARS this damn car has been apart and what I can't find, I am very glad I did what I did to keep it organized, it really pays off. My son took a lot of it apart and I am finding this dash is going to be a lot easier than I thought because of him, check out the labeled bags of screws.

One of the things I did for the first time was to keep a binder with where things are, just quick notes on where I stick something. It's called the "Where in the living hell did I put that part" binder. This has helped tremendously! You can't believe how much this has helped. As you can see, it's no work of art. But damn is it helpful!

Check out the photos below.

Brian
I start out organized then fizzle out :(

so does that binder/folder, keep track of all your garage/parts, not just one project?
if so that might work good for me I spend a lot of time looking for stuff
I just need to do a store inventory :thumbup:
Ter 409 said:
Another busy week-end for me! Snowmobiling Friday morning. Pulled the motor out of my Dodge 1 ton friday afternoon. It is now on the shop floor waiting to be replaced by another yard 360. Saturday went out to our local rifle range and ran a 1000 yard match. I used my AR 10 Long range and did all right for my match. Small group for the match was 4 3/4" and 49 points out of 50, not by me! Went looking for Sage Rats around noon as the weather turned off warm and got 2. Earliest I have ever killed any.Cleaned the shop this afternoon and installed some mud flaps on my Dodge PU. Hope to have my 1 ton running this week. Ter409
what is a sage rat?

#380 ·
Custom10 said:
Yeah I told her she needs a command start too warm up her car in the AM.

She said "sure honey how about we just save some money on that remote control system,,,then I command U to get out there at -30 and start it up in the AM" :( Command start my arse,,,
To quote Larry .....Now I don't care who you are, "THAT'S FUNNY"! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: